PDA

View Full Version : Faulty video card or software issue?

Kamil
07-16-2012, 06:43 AM
I just exchanged my G55 today in an attempt to fix a tiny problem (It didn't work so I got the same problem twice despite being apparently the only person to ever have it, but that's for the other thread) and when I reinstalled Team Fortress 2 I suddenly started having horrendous tearing issues, graphical glitches (polygon stretching mostly), slowdown, crashes, and once it even crashed my video card altogether. I find this strange because when I used the same graphics settings on my previous G55 it ran perfectly smoothly no matter what was going on and had no glitches at all. Because of this I downloaded and ran FurMark, with these (http://puu.sh/IWoY) results.

I didn't test on the previous computer or look at others' results, so I don't know exactly how that score is, but I think that shows that I'm getting very poor performance despite generating a lot of heat (Though to be fair before doing the 15 min benchmark I accidentally just let it run for 20 minutes with 1080p and x8 AA, which is probably why the temps are so high. During that run it peaked at 80 Celsius).

One thing of note, while the Burn-in was running there was an information box that included the line
GPU: (GeForce GTX 660M) - core: 950 MHz (THROTTLING : -815 MHz)
and then there was a bunch of other stuff that seemed normal (I did record everything though, if you need to know it). Now, I'm not an expert, but that line seems to imply that my GPU is throttling and running at 815 MHz less than it should, which would be 135 MHz. I'm not sure why it would be throttling since I have the computer plugged in and on the High Performance power plan, but that seems like the problem if anybody knows why it might be happening or what could fix it.

Also, the only thing I've uninstalled is McAfee and I have installed all updates available through Asus Live Update and Windows Update.

UltimaRage
07-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Get rid of Asus Live Update... it can brick bios, unfortunately.

86 C is a bit hot, even for the G55. On my G75, the 660m peaked at 68 C with Furmark, and that was even with +120 core and +250 memory. I'd say return the system. Sounds like either the GPU is faulty, or the thermal paste was applied horridly.

135 core is normal. The card clocks dynamically downclocks for Windows/2D tasks. It is running at higher clocks during 3D stuff for sure, or else it wouldn't be getting so hot.

Kamil
07-16-2012, 07:06 AM
Well after the initial updates (which I also did on the previous unit without causing any problems) I switched Live Update to "Don't install anything on your own, just tell me if it's available" since someone mentioned that it would keep me informed of any driver updates. I can still remove that if you really think it would somehow retroactively help, or remove it rather than getting those initial updates to various things if I do get a new one, but I doubt it's the problem.

I think I'll try reinstalling the drivers before going immediately to "replace it again."

EDIT: Nope, reinstalling drivers didn't help (though I stopped FurMark once it got above 80 C rather than letting it go the whole time).

On the other hand, I also checked other threads involving the FurMark test and 86 C is high but not dangerous and low 1000s scores are normal for the 660 (I saw some people saying scores of up to 1500, but those could have been non-stock or 670s) which means the performance issues may have been something else. I'll check to see if TF2 runs better after the driver reinstall.

Kamil
07-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Okay, so after TF2 still crashes on me, I decided to take a more strenuous and general test, running both FurMark and Prime95 at once, and monitoring both the CPU and GPU temps with HWiNFO64. During this test I reached 98 C on the CPU and 94 C on the GPU during the 15 minute test. HWiNFO confirmed that the GPU throttling was on-demand and not going on during the test, like you said Ultima, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Also, when I checked the back vents it seemed that no air or heat was coming out of the left side, while the right side was blowing very hot air very hard. I'm not too worried since the left side of the laptop itself was also not very hot, but it's worth mentioning.

Holy
07-16-2012, 09:41 PM
lol for one look at the vents on the left... there cosmetic..... so thats not the problem.

Kamil
07-17-2012, 01:31 AM
Okay I just tried playing on the lowest settings and although it didn't crash, it still wasn't smooth and nowhere near as good as my previous G55 could manage on the highest settings. There is no legitimate reason this graphics card should not be capable of playing a 5 year old game, so I'm probably going to return it (again) unless somebody can offer some other solution.

Holy
07-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Yes return it and get another its the easiest route.

Kamil
07-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Okay, so reinstalling TF2 got rid of all the performance issues, must have been some error when I downloaded it the first time, so I'll probably just keep this one and hope that the heat doesn't cause any problems. If something happens before the warranty expires I'll just send it in for repairs, but after that I'll consider repasting it.

Thanks for the help though.

UltimaRage
07-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Those temps are all way higher than they should be.

Also, I don't know about the G55, but the G75 uses the left vent for the CPU, and the right vent for the GPU. If you were pushing the GPU and CPU hard, yet hot air wasn't coming out of the left vent, that's not good.

The left vent was cosmetic on the G74's, but ASUS changed that with the cooling system revamp.

If you repaste, it voids the warranty because of a sticker you have to remove inside the machine.

Your best bet would be to replace this unit. Those temps are far too hot and will destroy the hardware very, very quickly. Your temps should be mid-high 70's at the most.

By the way, what are the ambient room temperatures when you are running Furmark tests?

Kamil
07-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Upper 40s mostly, sometimes up to 50. Or at least, those were the idle temps for the laptop, don't exactly have a thermometer in my room.

EDIT: Also, turns out that reinstalling TF2 did not actually fix the problem I just happened to be lucky while I was testing last night.

And I tried testing with Unigine Heaven, which is the benchmarking software used on the demo stations in the place where I bought the computer, and it crashed regardless of the settings with this error message:
http://puu.sh/JufZ