PDA

View Full Version : Problem with G75 and Windows locking up totally

sevron
07-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Ever since I got this notebook (G75V) a few days ago it's been nothing but problems. Windows will lock up randomly and after about 10mins it's fine. Chrome has had more issues on this laptop then I've ever had with it period. It'll crash or flash will crash just randomly. No set time or nothing.

I thought bad Windows install so I did a clean install. Get all the drivers installed, and updated, etc. Everything seems fine and then start loading my programs on, just Steam games and WoW. The first thing I noticed was I couldn't get the PCI Simple Controller driver installed and there's no drivers left to install from the Asus site, I got them all. Then when I disconnected my phone from the laptop via bluetooth two more drivers popped up in device manager saying the bluetooth device wasn't found or something like that.

And just now, Chrome crashed again, I couldn't right click the task bar to get to task manager because it wasn't responding and ctrl-alt-del wouldn't work. After about 5 minutes explorer stopped working and a popup error came up saying something about couldn't start security and something else options when ctrl-alt-del was pressed. It was just a black screen with a win98 style popup.

Salmiery
07-16-2012, 11:44 PM
I also had this problem and was very frustrated. In order to fix this, I reinstalled windows :( maybe not an option for you, as it was tough for me because the backup DVD's were corrupt, and failed during my reinstallation. Luckily I had a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 and was able to use that for a 100% fresh install. I haven't had any problems since.

kiba
07-17-2012, 04:41 PM
same problem here, turned out to be a bad mobo & HD and had to get it replaced... im on my 3rd one ;) if youre on your factory HD, it could just be the HD, in which case you could just get a new one (pref ssd), but imo your best bet is to exchange it, in my experience these problems did not go away (had problems w/ the mobo after i put in the ssd)

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18047-G75VW-really-strange-behaviour

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18649-turns-out-my-g75-was-defective-(

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18806-On-my-3rd-G75

Shawnnepc
07-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Ever since I got this notebook (G75V) a few days ago it's been nothing but problems. Windows will lock up randomly and after about 10mins it's fine. Chrome has had more issues on this laptop then I've ever had with it period. It'll crash or flash will crash just randomly. No set time or nothing.

I thought bad Windows install so I did a clean install. Get all the drivers installed, and updated, etc. Everything seems fine and then start loading my programs on, just Steam games and WoW. The first thing I noticed was I couldn't get the PCI Simple Controller driver installed and there's no drivers left to install from the Asus site, I got them all. Then when I disconnected my phone from the laptop via bluetooth two more drivers popped up in device manager saying the bluetooth device wasn't found or something like that.

And just now, Chrome crashed again, I couldn't right click the task bar to get to task manager because it wasn't responding and ctrl-alt-del wouldn't work. After about 5 minutes explorer stopped working and a popup error came up saying something about couldn't start security and something else options when ctrl-alt-del was pressed. It was just a black screen with a win98 style popup.

Which G75VW do you have?

sevron
07-17-2012, 08:15 PM
I have the Best Buy model. The only things I've changed to it were installing a SSD as the primary and using the HDD as a secondary. I have all the drivers installed and the utilizes installed as well.

The only thing though is I didn't buy the protection plans from Best Buy, but seeing how I haven't even had it a week you think they would just swap it out or what? I have NO money right now after buying this, it ate up what I had =/.

Shawnnepc
07-17-2012, 08:20 PM
I have the Best Buy model. The only things I've changed to it were installing a SSD as the primary and using the HDD as a secondary. I have all the drivers installed and the utilizes installed as well.

The only thing though is I didn't buy the protection plans from Best Buy, but seeing how I haven't even had it a week you think they would just swap it out or what? I have NO money right now after buying this, it ate up what I had =/.

Did you do a FRESH install of Windows on the SSD?

Using the recovery disks on the SSD will cause numerous issues

sevron
07-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Yes I did a fresh install.

I just called and talked to a manager at Best Buy and they said I can get 100% of what I spent back if I return it. Should I just get the money back and order it online or trade it for a brand new one there and see if that one works?

Anyone know of a program that can test the hardware though before I take it back? I'd hate to get another one that does the same thing. And I really don't want to deal with them saying it's because I put a SSD into it either.

It's a nice laptop, but I don't know for 100% sure if it's a Windows install or a bad laptop. I didn't have the factory install on long enough to test it either, I basically got it home, made recovery discs then installed the SSD and wiped it.

If I exchange it for a model of the same laptop can't I just swap the SSD out of this one and put it in the new one and be set to go or would that just cause to many issues? I'm going to see if they'll let me keep the hard drive since I have no way to backup over 200gb of data I've already installed on the notebook, most of it is steam, but there's some other apps and data to.

They exchanged it for me. Got a brand new in box one. Hopefully this one doesn't have a bad mobo.

Michal
08-16-2012, 02:52 AM
I also had this problem and was very frustrated. In order to fix this, I reinstalled windows :( maybe not an option for you, as it was tough for me because the backup DVD's were corrupt, and failed during my reinstallation. Luckily I had a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 and was able to use that for a 100% fresh install. I haven't had any problems since.

Did the clean Windows install help? I have the same problem and I am very frustrated.

In case of clean Windows installation, how should I proceed ?
in what order I should install the Asus drivers from Asus webpage after clean Windows install?
I need the computer for video edition, so I guess all the Nvidia, Asus drivers are necessary?

Thanks for any help,
Michal

_
08-16-2012, 03:56 AM

Get it returned and exchanged asap. If it's faulty, it shouldn't cost you anything.

rewben
08-16-2012, 03:57 AM
@Michal, you can refer here: http://forums.pctweakers.net/showthread.php/129-ASUS-G75VW-Clean-Install-Guide

c_man
08-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Download Linux Mint Mate, burn it on a disc and boot from it in compatibility mode. It has most drivers for components. Use it and see if you have any problems.

If you don't, reinstall Windows with UEFI Boot Disable (in BIOS).

Make sure you have latest firmware for SSD.

Set power plan for Maximum performance.
Disable Page file.
Disable Super fetch.
Disable Defragmentation.
Disable Indexing.
Disable power off for it.

Before you install anything, make sure you disable Hibernation in Windows.

After that, start with Intel Chipset Driver v9.3.0.1021, video driver, WAN/LAN driver. Use it as it is to see what happens. If it's OK add everything you need, except Asus live update.

Michal
08-17-2012, 02:09 PM
@Michal, you can refer here: http://forums.pctweakers.net/showthread.php/129-ASUS-G75VW-Clean-Install-Guide

Thanks a lot!