PDA

View Full Version : G55VW-ES71 SSD help

sir dudeliness
07-16-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm about to get a G55VW-ES71 from Amazon. I'm wondering if it has an extra SSD spot so i can have the 500 GB 7200 rpm hard drive that comes with the computer. Amazon does not say. Please reply as the SSD will make that computer a ton faster, with still the 500 gigs of other stuff i would like to put on it.

Thanks,
dudeliness

Holy
07-16-2012, 09:43 PM
There is not a extra spot. for a ssd.

Apophis
07-16-2012, 10:57 PM
The ASUS G55 has only one internal 2.5 inch SATA III bay. You could remove the optical drive and replace it with a disk caddy adapter for another SATA III bay like this one here: http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=319. There is also a mSATA slot somewhere on the laptop where you could put a SSD. I don't know how to get access to the mSATA slot so you may void your warranty if you need to get to it. I put a SSD in my G55 and the difference between the stock drive (WD 500GB Black) is incredible.

colpolite
07-18-2012, 07:29 PM
My recommendation is to use ssd for speed/performance and maximum silence (nomore hdd grinding noise parts).

I would install the OS and games on an SSD and the bare minimum I would recommend is 60-64gb but if you can afford a 120-128gb ssd then go for that. Install the Windows OS and games or applications on the SSD to feel the night and day boost in speed/performance.

Now the thing with G55 is it only suports 1 drive bay compared to two drive bays in G75. The good thing about this is that you can reduce weight and noise from an HDD. You can easily solve the storage problem by using a light and portable 500gb-1TB external drive for your music/videos etc.

Now some G75 owners will probably say, they could install the ssd as primary drive and a 500gb/1tb hdd as their secondary storage drive on the 2nd drive bay but this one presents 2 issues where it defeats the whole purpose of having a more quiet/lighter system. First one is the noise, by eliminating an hdd for an ssd, installing a storage hdd on the 2nd drive bay, you would still hear the clanking/grinding/accessing noise of the hdd when accessing it. Second, it adds more weight (not by much) but it adds it anyway.

So basically a G55 with a fast SSD like for example a Crucial M4 paired with the excellent dual cooling system of the G55 will make it super silent and super efficient. Then just use a really portable usb 3.0 external drive for storage

lexlex
07-19-2012, 01:39 AM
My recommendation is to use ssd for speed/performance and maximum silence (nomore hdd grinding noise parts).

I would install the OS and games on an SSD and the bare minimum I would recommend is 60-64gb but if you can afford a 120-128gb ssd then go for that. Install the Windows OS and games or applications on the SSD to feel the night and day boost in speed/performance.

Now the thing with G55 is it only suports 1 drive bay compared to two drive bays in G75. The good thing about this is that you can reduce weight and noise from an HDD. You can easily solve the storage problem by using a light and portable 500gb-1TB external drive for your music/videos etc.

Now some G75 owners will probably say, they could install the ssd as primary drive and a 500gb/1tb hdd as their secondary storage drive on the 2nd drive bay but this one presents 2 issues where it defeats the whole purpose of having a more quiet/lighter system. First one is the noise, by eliminating an hdd for an ssd, installing a storage hdd on the 2nd drive bay, you would still hear the clanking/grinding/accessing noise of the hdd when accessing it. Second, it adds more weight (not by much) but it adds it anyway.

So basically a G55 with a fast SSD like for example a Crucial M4 paired with the excellent dual cooling system of the G55 will make it super silent and super efficient. Then just use a really portable usb 3.0 external drive for storage

Hi there. I'm interested to get a ssd too. But as you mentioned a 64 gb ssd. Is that enough for the OS?

colpolite
07-19-2012, 04:43 AM
Hi there. I'm interested to get a ssd too. But as you mentioned a 64 gb ssd. Is that enough for the OS?

Yes. Windows 7 should be around 18-20gb after all the updates and service pack. You would have around 35-40gb left and they would be for your games and applications. You could also disable hibernation to free up another 2-3 gb.

Almost Tactful
07-20-2012, 12:46 AM
a note about mSATA drives. Most of them have great read speeds (450MB/s) but TERRIBLE write speeds (most I see are in the 50MB/s area) so it's really not worth it for the SSD. The optical bay would be the best bet IMO, or just get a good USB 3.0 external and use it. The external may be a little more bulk but you could unplug it and save battery when it's not in use, so there is that plus side to it.