PDA

View Full Version : 802.11ac Wifi standard and G75

twinkle
07-17-2012, 10:41 PM
The CEO of Netgear recently stopped by Australia to tell us all about the new 802.11ac wireless technology, announced earlier this year at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. The article says in part:-
The Asus G75VW is reportedly the first notebook in the world to come with 802.11ac inside.

http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/?s=asus+g75&search_button.x=0&search_button.y=0

Has anyone heard anything?

Further information on this new standard can be found on the Whirlpool site.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/?action=threads_search&q=802.11ac&f=&fg=-1

earlmit
07-18-2012, 01:48 AM
When will I be able to purchase G75VW with the new 802.11ac wifi chip?
They announced it was available in June 2012 but I still only see G75VW with 802.11n?

_
07-18-2012, 04:54 AM
I've asked our product managers. :)

EDIT: Yes, confirmed, it's just recently been decided the G75 and G55 will get an .ac upgrade. I'm finding the release schedule now and whether all or some models will have it.

Myk SilentShadow
07-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Hey MarshallR, any info on ASUS' first .ac router? i'd just like to know if it's a pure router, or modem/router...I need to know so I can properly plan my network upgrade.

_
07-18-2012, 06:59 AM
.ac routers are in store this month/early August. That's all I know - depends when the boat gets in/customs/delivery to store/listing etc.

The one you want to look at is the RT-AC66U http://www.asus.com/Networks/product.aspx?P_ID=LzShv8ma7TrQB4eO&templete=2

Further updates on .ac upgrades: Both 802.11n and .ac models will co-exist in the market - check the store specs. If you don't need .ac, you don't have to pay extra for one basically.

Getting dates soon..

Niko838
07-18-2012, 07:00 AM
This upgrade probably concerns only new models? Is there any chance for older models to be upgradable to the new standard? Or is it even possible to upgrade/change the WiFi card on G55/G75 or is there something else that's going to change as well?

Myk SilentShadow
07-18-2012, 07:15 AM
.ac routers are in store this month/early August. That's all I know - depends when the boat gets in/customs/delivery to store/listing etc.

The one you want to look at is the RT-AC66U http://www.asus.com/Networks/product.aspx?P_ID=LzShv8ma7TrQB4eO&templete=2

Further updates on .ac upgrades: Both 802.11n and .ac models will co-exist in the market - check the store specs. If you don't need .ac, you don't have to pay extra for one basically.

Getting dates soon..

~sighs~ damn, thanks....all I needed to know

_
07-18-2012, 09:06 AM
This upgrade probably concerns only new models? Is there any chance for older models to be upgradable to the new standard? Or is it even possible to upgrade/change the WiFi card on G55/G75 or is there something else that's going to change as well?

You can, it's just an mPCIe card. The only problem is that it's not designed to be user serviceable and will void your warranty.

Both G55 and G75 models with .ac are due Q4 (probably due to the fact there's no mPCIe .ac cards because I haven't seen the standard that small format yet)

Niko838
07-18-2012, 09:42 AM
You can, it's just an mPCIe card. The only problem is that it's not designed to be user serviceable and will void your warranty.

Both G55 and G75 models with .ac are due Q4 (probably due to the fact there's no mPCIe .ac cards because I haven't seen the standard that small format yet)

Yeah, I was expecting that to be an issue.

I'd actually like to see a laptops that would have the same servicability as a desktop in terms of well... everything (or near everything), though that might be too much to ask (atleast for now) considering the form factor and parts not being standardized.

Thanks for your answer though!

_
07-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Frankly serviceability will get less and less going forward. Customers predominantly want more integrated, thinner, lighter and beautiful devices. That's just not possible with large areas of user serviceable components due to the fact the motherboard is designed to fit the chassis. If you want small form factor standardization - buy mini-ITX ;)

Niko838
07-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Frankly serviceability will get less and less going forward. Customers predominantly want more integrated, thinner, lighter and beautiful devices. That's just not possible with large areas of user serviceable components due to the fact the motherboard is designed to fit the chassis. If you want small form factor standardization - buy mini-ITX ;)

Yeah, thinner and more beautiful seems to be the way forward, unfortunately, as I tend to like to have the option to fiddle with the hardware if possible. Even if I never use the option to upgrade the RAM or the HDD, I still like to have that option. God, thinking about that makes me feel old, like I'm not into the right stuff anymore, though I'm only 20 years old...