PDA

View Full Version : Help with doing an RMA on my GPU/ROG Computer

Aoyoc
07-18-2012, 05:02 AM
Hi all, I just signed up a bit ago after reading a few posts on the forums. I have a G73JHA1 with an ATI Radeon HD 5870 that I got about 2 years ago now and have had various issues with it practically since I got it. I've always suspected them to be the GPU. When I got the laptop I saw it was running really hot and after some time it hit the shut off temperature or froze up/locked up... then I contacted Asus and they got me the BIOS that speeds up the fans. I was OK for a while, then the problems returned and I was getting more freeze ups and lock ups.

The last few days have brought back the freezeups/lock ups and they are way worse than before (This is the 2nd time that I have had to write this thread post as my computer locked up on me the first time). One of the times I manually shut down and turned it back on, the computer said something like "reboot and select proper boot device" before WIndows started. I shut it off and turned it back on and it did it again. Third time was a charm and it went to windows... but the problems continue. :(

I just called Asus Support a bit ago and they set me up for an RMA. My warranty is up at the end of the month. I haven't done an RMA with Asus before and after reading some stories on here I'll admit that I am a bit worried/scared. I'll admit I'm not super good with computers... and I don't know what I am doing. Is there anything I can do before/after I send it in? Is it advisable to send it in for all that? Should I worry that my computer will come back in worse shape?

Thanks all, I appreciate it!

Holy
07-18-2012, 03:43 PM
please realize most people never come here on a good note. and most people who don't have a problem never come. i personally started reading topics here when i was gonna buy a g74.

HiVizMan
07-18-2012, 03:48 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4805-ASUS-US-amp-Canada-RMA-Guide&country=&status=

Have a read, might help you possibly.

Aoyoc
07-18-2012, 07:29 PM
please realize most people never come here on a good note. and most people who don't have a problem never come. i personally started reading topics here when i was gonna buy a g74.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...untry=&status=

Have a read, might help you possibly.

Hi guys thanks for your answers. I just read the Asus RMA Guide that you posted. I did some looking and I don't see anyone with issues exactly like what I am having. I can't tell either because I will admit I am a total beginner when it comes to understanding computer problems.

I did read one thread about a person having driver problems with the same GPU as me and I am/was/is having problems with drivers for my computer too. I tried to update them a couple months ago and I didn't find a good solution to that either. I have honestly no idea how to install drivers properly or how to make sure they are working properly, if someone could help on that? :(

Does anyone have a known fix or any suggestions of what to try for my computer before I send it in for RMA ? Is there anything useful that I haven't described or mentioned about the issues?

Help is much appreciated... this is so frustrating :/

cl-scott
07-18-2012, 07:42 PM
The RMA process should be pretty uneventful in a good way, but if for some reason you hit an unexpected snag, feel free to send me an email and I'll see what I can do to smooth it out for you.

kiba
07-18-2012, 07:44 PM
hmm... check out chastitys vbios possibly? its a stretch but ive been using it for a long time w/out any gpu issues, my gf uses the g73 now and its pretty solid *knocks on wood*

we also use the throttlestop workaround.

dstrakele
07-18-2012, 08:08 PM
I suspect ASUS will restore your system to stock configuration to eliminate the possibility of software problems causing your system lockups. You can get ahead of the game by performing an F9 ASUS Factory Recovery. Press F9 at the ASUS splash screen and choose to Recover Windows to the first partition. Make sure you backup any important files because that partition will be completely overwritten.

The Recovery process will return your system to an "out-of-the-box" state. It takes about an hour and reboots the laptop several times. Don't interrupt it or it will not complete properly. Once it sits for 10 minutes at the Windows Setup Wizard screen where choose your language, it's done.

Attempt to reproduce your lockup issue and record detailed step-by-step instructions to send with your system when you RMA it. These instructions will help the tech reproduce and troubleshoot your lockup. If you cannot reproduce the lockup, the Recovery process resolved it and you can cancel the RMA.

The good news is that most lockups result from software conflicts, so there is a good chance the F9 ASUS Factory Recovery will do the trick. As you install and uninstall programs, the Windows registry gets bloated, reducing performance, so it's not a bad idea to reinstall Windows every couple of years anyway.

It may be worthwhile to install HWINFO64 and monitor your CPU and GPU temperatures to determine if you have thermal issues. 2 years is also when it's about time for a gaming system to get a repaste. That could be handled at the RMA if you report overheating issues. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?946-G73JH-GPU-Overheating-Observations-and-Suggestions-(Read-This-First) for proper G73 temperatures.

Aoyoc
07-18-2012, 08:13 PM
thanks very much d-scott :)

Jslice, I updated to one of Chastity's vbios at the start of January 2012 and that temporarily fixed my problems for a short time before they returned. Every time I manage to get the issues to stop briefly, they always return quickly - issue free for months then the same issues return. I forget though, which vbios I used, but it was one that was recommended. The might be an additional clue to whats going on, but whenever I turn on my computer and it comes to the desktop, I get an AMD "prompt" window titled AMD Install or something.

This time the issues are worse - I'm concerned that my SSD HDD is failing now too, since after restarting from 2 freeze ups, I was given a black screen with a message saying "please reboot to a proper boot device", before windows even started.

Anything else to try? (I had to write this response twice, due to a freeze up lol)

Edit: dstrakele, I will give that a shot, its worth a try. Thanks

dstrakele
07-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Since you are reporting boot problems where you're getting "Please select a proper boot device" it is likely your HDD is not being recognized. This could pose problems for an F9 ASUS Factory Recovery from the HDD. You may need to use the Recovery DVD's you created with Ai Recovery. If the HDD is failing, this will also fail. If it does work, it'll take longer - about 1 hour and 45 minutes. So be patient. If you can't do it, then it's a good reason for an RMA...

The AMD prompt at bootup sounds like you've got a failed video driver installation that's trying to complete. If the ASUS Factory Recovery is successful, it should also resolve this issue.

Aoyoc
07-19-2012, 03:58 AM
Ok. So, i ran the F9 recovery at the splash screen and tried to wipe and reinstall windows. It didnt actually wipe the 2nd of my HDD partitions, yet wiped the 1st partition, which was odd; Asus put in 4 partitions. The F9 recovery however did get to the screen where it asks for "English" and low and behold it was frozen. I restarted and was able to complete the install. I haven't had another freeze today since that freeze.

I've went ahead and attempted to install updated video drivers. So far i cannot get the ati drivers to work or update plus my screen resolution is all messed up.... changing drivers is so frustrating and always been this way. I had a BSOD after I attempted to install the latest CCC. I really have no idea how to fix my video driver issues.

BIOS = 211
vBIOS = 012.020.000.032.038352

The machine still runs hot even while just installing drivers and web use. No gaming test done yet.

I ran GPU-Z for ROG and it reported GPU temp #1 @ 78C, but is now at 67C. So, #1 = 67C, #2 = 78C, #3 = 73C.
I ran HWiNFO32 and 64. GPU Thermal Diode @ 78C, GPU TS0 @ 67C, GPU TS1 @ 78C, GPU TS2 @ 73C.
These temperatures are from idle; (some chrome tabs open and HWiNFO open). Perhaps my GPU is running too hot for idle? I gamed last night and I was freezing up almost every 20-30 minutes... the game wasn't even very graphic intensive either.

I looked at http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?946-G73JH-GPU-Overheating-Observations-and-Suggestions-(Read-This-First) and it says idle temps above 64C need repasting. My idle temps were higher than the warning 64C, so I assume I would need a repaste right?

Edit @ 2:48 am
I have the 12-6 ATI driver up, but it strangely calls my Radeon 5870 a new name - ATI FirePro M7820 Instead now. Anyway, the GPU-Z temps are now lower at idle.... 50.5C, 59C, 53.5C. HWiNFO32 gives: 59C, 50C, 59C, 53.5C.

These temps are way better, but I'm still worried, the name change/temps/etc, maybe my card is starting to fail on me? Is a repaste needed still? :P

I also ran a Seagate hdd check, (Seagate Tools for Windows), and it passed all the tests, so i assume they're ok? I havent seen the boot device error today either. Further advice on the SSD/HDD issue would be helpful.

So at this point is an RMA still even warranted? My warranty runs out at the end of this month, so this is literally my last chance to RMA it before the warranty is gone...

dstrakele
07-19-2012, 11:57 AM
What is the SSD/HDD issue? What drives are actually installed in your laptop?

What problems are you experiencing AFTER the ASUS Factory Recovery?

ASUS Factory Recovery worked as it should, recovering Windows only to the first partition. You can choose one of the other options if you wish different results.

You should've left your system in a stock configuration for testing purposes. Perhaps you can use Windows System Restore to return to that point or rerun the Recovery. Once you've confirmed there are no issues at stock configuration, you can cancel the RMA.

Aoyoc
07-19-2012, 04:19 PM
What is the SSD/HDD issue? What drives are actually installed in your laptop?

What problems are you experiencing AFTER the ASUS Factory Recovery?

ASUS Factory Recovery worked as it should, recovering Windows only to the first partition. You can choose one of the other options if you wish different results.

You should've left your system in a stock configuration for testing purposes. Perhaps you can use Windows System Restore to return to that point or rerun the Recovery. Once you've confirmed there are no issues at stock configuration, you can cancel the RMA.

The SSD/HDD issue was that I got the message "Please reboot to a proper boot device" after shutting down from a computer lockup/freeze up. It happened twice consecutively. I haven't gotten the message since yesterday though. When I would freeze up my computer would make strange noises. I haven't froze up since the Recovery process yesterday.

Problems after the ASUS Factory Recovery:
- I froze up right after the system recovered.
- Having a hard time installing video drivers. Latest install calls my ATI Radeon HD 5870 an ATI FirePro M7820 instead.
- Concerned that my SSD harddrive is failing, despite it passing the Seagate test
- Concerned that my ATI GPU has been defective since I got my computer 2 years ago.

Reasons why I think my ATI GPU has been defective since I got my computer 2 years ago:
- I ran FurMark the day I got my computer out of the box and it reported high temperatures
- I hit the heat temperature shut off point a bunch of times
- BSOD's often when I attempt to change the video drivers
- High idle temperatures
- I get freeze ups during games
- I get freeze ups while idling or on the internet
- Low framerate in games compared to what other 5870 owners are capable of.

I don't understand what you mean by "You should've left your system in a stock configuration for testing purposes." ?

I ran the Recovery all the way through. My computer came out of the box with 4 partitions and I still have all 4 after the Recovery. The only change to my partitions was that only #1 was wiped and #2 was mysteriously untouched (when I wanted it wiped); #3 and #4 were empty to begin with.

dstrakele
07-19-2012, 05:07 PM
If you had chosen option #3 Recover Windows with 2 Partitions, partition #2 would've been overwirtten. The 2nd drive with partitions #3 nd #4 is not touched in any of the Recovery choices.

Once you completed the ASUS Factory Recovery and returned your system to the stock configuration, you want to attempt to reproduce your lockup issues with installing as little software as possible. You don't want to go upgrading drivers until you attempted to reproduce your problem.

When you get a new computer or any other electronic gadget, you need to test it fully in stock configuration while you are still within the retailer's exchange/return period. If you encounter a problem and cannot easily resolve it by returning the system to stock configuration or reading about a resolution on a forum such as this one, you return the defective laptop or other electroni gadget to the retailer for an exchange or a complete refund.

You're now facing a deadline on your ASUS Warranty. If you send the laptop in for RMA, they will most likely attempt to reproduce your issue with the laptop in stock configuration. If they can't reproduce the issue, they will simply send the laptop back to you.

Your job now is to see if you can reproduce the issue in stock configuration and provide the ASUS tech with detailed instructions on how to do so. They can't repair your laptop unless they are able to reproduce the issues you report.