PDA

View Full Version : Computer Upgrade King

ushhh
07-18-2012, 06:30 AM
just wondering if any one has used these guys to buy there laptop. I was thinking about ordering my g75vw with the intel 3920xm and 32gig of ddr3 1600mhz ram http://www.computerupgradeking.com/

_
07-18-2012, 09:15 AM
That's completely unknown territory for us to be honest. The cooling and power system was not designed specifically for a 55W CPU, only 45W, plus, the BIOS won't have the overclocking function available for the Extreme Edition hardware. I'm checking whether it has the capacity to really accept it, but I would not drop a $750 upgrade in a $1300 machine. Seems... excessive. You'd get 95% of the performance with a lower spec CPU, while also getting better battery life and a cooler system.

Zygomorphic
07-18-2012, 10:18 AM
A number of people have upgraded the G74 and TurboBoost gets disabled. When that happens, the model-line right below it is actually faster. My advice is to as much of the get the fastest RAM as you can, and then get the CPU one step below the 3920XM. That CPU savings will more than pay for the RAM upgrade. You know, it might even pay for a small SSD which you can put in without voiding warranty! The SSD will make the computer seem faster than the CPU would! :)

ushhh
07-18-2012, 11:09 AM
cool thanks for that guys it was a big help

Zygomorphic
07-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Glad to be of service! :) Always nice when others say they appreciate the time spent in aiding other forum members. Makes us feel good about the time that some would say we waste on the forum. ;) Then again the Republic of Gamers is a brotherhood...sort of...some sisters too :p

kiba
07-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Glad to be of service! :) Always nice when others say they appreciate the time spent in aiding other forum members. Makes us feel good about the time that some would say we waste on the forum. ;) Then again the Republic of Gamers is a brotherhood...sort of...some sisters too :p

girls.... whats that???

Zygomorphic
07-18-2012, 09:47 PM
@Dark, you know, those long-haired humans who usually inhabit clothing stores and kitchens ;)

rob@cuk
09-19-2012, 12:09 AM
just wondering if any one has used these guys to buy there laptop. I was thinking about ordering my g75vw with the intel 3920xm and 32gig of ddr3 1600mhz ram http://www.computerupgradeking.com/

The inclusion of an i7-3920XM was an error on our part. We had tested the ASUS G75VW series notebooks and found that two issues exist with a 55W XM CPU installed. The first issue is that the laptop cannot turbo boost. The second issue is more serious as it relates to system instability. With 55W XM CPU installed, random crashing issues exist. We do not recommend any 55W XM CPU to be installed. I certainly was not happy when I learned my guy in charge of our listings tasked out listings with XM CPUs. He had certainly been told that 3920XM was not compatible. Before the G75VW, we had tested the G73SW and G74SX and found that these models could not turbo boost with XM CPU installed. They did not crash but they certainly had the turbo boost issue. We've tested a number of different ASUS laptops and found that not a single one will support XM CPU and have turbo boost or system reliability so it is not just an issue with G75VW. Other computers we found that also would not support turbo boost with XM CPU included Toshiba Qosmio X875 series and before it the X775 series. We have tested a number of other models from Lenovo, MSI, Alienware, Clevo, and HP product line and discovered 55W XM CPUs are compatible in that turbo boost is supported and a reliability test (of running prime95 and furmark simultaneously for 30+ minutes) passes. My advice to anyone getting an ASUS laptop would be to buy the i7-3840QM that is released now in European distribution as it will run just as fast as the 3920XM while providing 45W thermal specification.

Zygomorphic
09-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Thanks rob, that is what we had said, because of the 10 Watt TDP increase. Thanks for clarifying.

chrsplmr
09-19-2012, 02:50 AM
.......... ooooh u didnt say .. 'kitchens' .. did u ? hahahhaha down ladies .. hahahhaa ..

Zy is Not .. I repeat Not a caveMan .. hahhahaha .. he didnt say anything about barefoot, preg..something or other ..
or not even a peep about seen and not heard ... hahahhahahha ... LadyROGz .. are brothers too...hehe.c.

HarryPower
03-15-2013, 06:06 AM
Interestingly, I JUST YESTERDAY had an order with Computer Upgrade King via Amazon cancelled. I orderd a 55w 3940XM for the VW. The reason given for the cancellation was a pricing error. Perhaps it was a forgotten offering? Before the cancellation, I was offered a VX with the SAME specs because the VW's were discontinued. I accepted. In the end, based on this thread and Rob@cuk's Sep 2012 post, I'm glad it was cancelled. I should have done more research before pulling the trigger. Although this error was unfortunate (actually fortunate for me in the end), I believe CUK did the right thing....They cancelled with apologizes rather than:
1. Knowingly sending me a VX with lesser specs than I ordered in the hopes that I would be happy with that.
2. Sending me a VX with the specs I ordered when, apparently, the computer would be defective.
Here's the FINAL email I received:

"Hi,

As of 3/13/2013 2:00 PM EST, we realized there was a pricing mistake on Amazon in regards to the ASUS G75VW-RH71 listings. A few of our listings were priced at $500-$1000 less than they should have been and as a result we have been selling this item as[SIC] a tremendous loss to our company. We are currently going through all of our listings now to correct the price and end all existing listings until it has been fixed. [The listing has been removed from Amazon]

As a result, we have no choice but to cancel the existing orders for this laptop and grant all customers full refunds and cancellation on these orders. I understand this is not a proper solution, but it is the only one presently we can offer. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience, but we cannot honor these transactions because we are a small business and unable to cover or accept this kind of a loss with all of our orders we presently have over a $15,000 loss if we opted to honor these transactions.

If you have any questions or comments, please let us know. We would appreciate for your understanding in this situation.

Cheers,
[name witheld by me]"

I must say, the price for the system I ordered was VERY LOW...too good to be true low. I thought it was that low because they were trying to clear VW's out of their stock. Obvously not. I don't blame them for cancelling. I think they tried to figure out a way to make things right, but the cost was going to be too high. I think they got quite a few orders for the system as it kept climbing on Amazon's "Best seller ranking."

Zygomorphic
03-16-2013, 02:11 AM
.......... ooooh u didnt say .. 'kitchens' .. did u ? hahahhaha down ladies .. hahahhaa ..

Zy is Not .. I repeat Not a caveMan .. hahhahaha .. he didnt say anything about barefoot, preg..something or other ..
or not even a peep about seen and not heard ... hahahhahahha ... LadyROGz .. are brothers too...hehe.c.

Thanks @chrsplmr...wasn't talking about lady ROG'rs...those are the gals who inhabit microcenters...:D

chrsplmr
03-16-2013, 03:44 AM
ushhh, HarryPower .. Welcome to ROG. ThumbsUp to Computer Upgrade King for standing by their word
until they could 'clean' this up, even at a loss in this economic environment.
They did a very respectable thing there as did you for bringing this to 'our' attention.
Two others that I have recently seen step up to be sure the right thing was done was/are ..
XoticPc.com and NetEffectsPC.com.

Zy, Zy, Zy .. u said kitchen .. hahhaa (consider edit bro.) ooooooooooh My. Now go stand
in the middle of all those spammer bodies you've stacked up and think about
redeeming your sexist ways man. hahahhahhahaa
Seriously .. girls in the kitchen .. hahaha .. where ??? board rooms .. even ~choke~ Secretary of State ..
Congress, Senate .... but kitchens .. naaaa .. that ship has sailed ..
Today if you want anything done right in a kitchen .. everyone knows it takes a gay man .. never barefoot.
all kidding aside .. [and No..im not a 'homophobe'.. not in charge of what square/round peg fits in what 'space'] you are one of the nicest humans here or is that subHumans? .. bringing harm to only those that dare spam .. any that would be offended by you .. hahhaha .. just don't know ya yet bro.
Just remember that AlienWare is a brand of boxers. hehehhee.c.

HarryPower
03-16-2013, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the welcome @chrsplmr. I actually have a G75VX ordered from Xoticpc now. CPU is the 3840QM thanks to the advice given here. Impressed with Xoticpc so far. Called me to confirm and let me know that the VX's were not in stock at the moment. Wondered if I had any hard delivery requirement before they processed. They didn't just process without letting me know.
Very glad I joined the forum. Very good info and folks here. Thanks again.