PDA

View Full Version : For those who have a G55

Yaddatk15
07-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Hi

I've been looking for a high-end gaming laptop for days and I've finally settled upon the G55

However I have some questions roaming my mind

1- Did you have any issues with the laptop since you bought it?

2- Does the laptop heat frequently and quickly?

3- How was your gaming experience with the laptop so far?

4- Do you recommend installing IC Diamond Thermal Compound?

5- Are the websites XoticPC.com and ExcaliberPC.com reliable to order from internationally?

That is all, thanks.

kiba
07-18-2012, 07:31 PM
i have a g75, but i know the g55 has a few issues w/ heat... also repasting a laptop will rip the warranty stickers if youre not careful.

i would reccommend xoticpc, ive gotten 2 of my laptops there and theyve never done me wrong.

Holy
07-18-2012, 07:51 PM
I will confirm XoticPc is the way to go.

Almost Tactful
07-18-2012, 09:56 PM
I was able to get the DS71 (12GB 750HDD) for less money shipped from bandhphoto.com than I was the RS71 (8GB 750HDD) from Xotic

Not to mention BandH has one of the best reps around for customer service. Not saying Xotic is bad, but for me (mainly because of tax) BandH was a MUCH better deal.

dstrakele
07-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Just be sure to FULLY test the laptop in stock configuration while you are still within your retailer's exchange/return period.

Yaddatk15
07-19-2012, 05:01 AM
I see, XoticPC.com is reliable after all and I'll have a look at bandhphoto.com

Can someone post any insight or personal experience regarding the first 3 questions

Thanks

Niko838
07-19-2012, 06:54 AM

Can someone post any insight or personal experience regarding the first 3 questions

Thanks

Alright then, I've had my G55 for about 2-3 weeks now, I ran a Furmark 15 min burn-in test to see if the heat would be an issue - nope (Chuck Testa), temprature rose to 76 degrees celcius tops. The only "issues" I've had have been with the audio system (sound vibrating and resonating from speakers), but otherwise it's been a smooth ride so far.

While gaming the surface of the laptop will be a bit warm to the touch, but nothing dramatic, just a little above my body temprature (while playing The Witcher 2 or Darksiders or such).

As for gaming experience, let's just say that the laptop performs atleast as good as my desktop (just my subjective feeling), my desktop computer has the following specs: Intel C2D E6550 2,3 GHz, Asus GTX260 and 4 GB of RAM.

So atleast for now, I've been enjoying it, although as a lefty, playing on the laptop is a bit weird (which is mostly caused, I think, by the keyboard).

But I've been happy with it!

Shawnnepc
07-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Hi

I've been looking for a high-end gaming laptop for days and I've finally settled upon the G55

However I have some questions roaming my mind

1- Did you have any issues with the laptop since you bought it?

2- Does the laptop heat frequently and quickly?

3- How was your gaming experience with the laptop so far?

4- Do you recommend installing IC Diamond Thermal Compound?

5- Are the websites XoticPC.com and ExcaliberPC.com reliable to order from internationally?

That is all, thanks.

XOTIC is fine as long as you don't opt for any of their 'add on' services. (replacing keyboard back light, factory overclocking etc.)

Almost Tactful
07-19-2012, 05:50 PM

Thanks

Mine will arrive on Monday and I'll let ya know :)

Liquidus
07-19-2012, 06:05 PM
G55 has no issues with heat, and if yours does, you should get it replaced. I've had mine for two months, and it's doing great. Better than my ex-G73.

colpolite
07-19-2012, 06:23 PM
I was able to get the DS71 (12GB 750HDD) for less money shipped from bandhphoto.com than I was the RS71 (8GB 750HDD) from Xotic

Not to mention BandH has one of the best reps around for customer service. Not saying Xotic is bad, but for me (mainly because of tax) BandH was a MUCH better deal.

You are right about it being a lil cheaper but there is somethin better in buying from a reseller than a retail store like best buy or amazon or newegg or bhphoto where they have it sealed in a box.

If you buy with a reseller, the reseller will check it and see if there are any defects b4 they ship it out, meaning u will get a system that will be working with no defects, with a retail store where it is sealed in a box, you dunno if the screen has dead pixels or the hinges are crack or the keyboard is mess up or you got a lemon. There is also no return/exchange for laptops in bhphotovideo website if you checked their info so basically if there is somethin wrong with ur g55, your only option is to rma it to asus and you wait for weeks b4 u get it.

To me, adding an additional $50-60 to buy it at a reputable reseller is worth the headache and for peace of mind.

Shawnnepc
07-19-2012, 06:45 PM
You are right about it being a lil cheaper but there is somethin better in buying from a reseller than a retail store like best buy or amazon or newegg or bhphoto where they have it sealed in a box.

If you buy with a reseller, the reseller will check it and see if there are any defects b4 they ship it out, meaning u will get a system that will be working with no defects, with a retail store where it is sealed in a box, you dunno if the screen has dead pixels or the hinges are crack or the keyboard is mess up or you got a lemon. There is also no return/exchange for laptops in bhphotovideo website if you checked their info so basically if there is somethin wrong with ur g55, your only option is to rma it to asus and you wait for weeks b4 u get it.

To me, adding an additional $50-60 to buy it at a reputable reseller is worth the headache and for peace of mind.

I couldn't agree more.

Remember if you purchase any tech product from retail YOU are responsible for it's warranty and repair.

When VARs (Value Added Resellers, like XOTIC and me) sell you a unit WE are responsible for your laptop. (Talking to tech support, sending the unit in, checking on status etc)

We also have access to resources that you customers do not. Things like commercial support, direct ASUS US contacts, Advanced replacement and if the VAR is also a ASP (Authorized Service Partner) they will be able to repair your unit instead of sending it direct to ASUS. This allows us to offer a better quality of service and peace of mind.

Yaddatk15
07-20-2012, 01:20 AM
XOTIC is fine as long as you don't opt for any of their 'add on' services. (replacing keyboard back light, factory overclocking etc.)
Why is that?

Can you elaborate please

Yaddatk15
07-20-2012, 09:52 PM
..bump..

/limitfail