PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting my Asus G53jw to boot!!!

Maderick
07-19-2012, 04:51 AM
My computer is not booting up windows, I'm not sure how to describe the beep messages it was giving me do I took a video so you can see for yourself. The video of my problem is at Problem I'm having with Asus G53JW - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHiIWjMRFgY&sns=em).

I think the computer is about two years old now but I've never had any problems with it and it seems to have just randomly stopped working. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

dstrakele
07-19-2012, 11:38 AM
I think your HDD may have failed. If you insert a Windows installation disk into your DVD drive, does it see the HDD as a device you can select for Windows installation? Don't proceed with the installation. Just see if it's recognized.

Maderick
07-19-2012, 03:11 PM
I think your HDD may have failed. If you insert a Windows installation disk into your DVD drive, does it see the HDD as a device you can select for Windows installation? Don't proceed with the installation. Just see if it's recognized.

I don't have the original install of windows 7 with me, should I download the windows 8 preview onto a flag drive and see if it recognizes the Hdd without actually installing it? Also is it possible that being bumped could have knocked the Hdd out of its socket?

dstrakele
07-19-2012, 06:57 PM
I recall a thread where vibration from a rolling case caused the laptop to fail to boot. Reseating the RAM and HDD resolved the problem. It certainly is possible a bump may have caused a similar issue on your laptop.

I would download the Windows 7 / SP1 .ISO file from Digital River that matches the Windows version currently installed on your system and burn it to DVD for this test. In the worst case scenario where your drive is unrecognized, you can use it to install Windows 7 to a new drive. If your disk IS recognized as a device to install Windows, you can use the "Repair" option to try and restore your current Windows installation without losing information or programs you've installed.

But if you feel comfortable opening the laptop and reseating the drive and memory sticks first, have at it...