PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Installing ATI drivers for my G73

Aoyoc
07-19-2012, 05:45 AM
I installed the newest ATI driver and CCC and now my screen resolution maximum is 1400 instead of 1920. I followed the AMD/ATI driver install guide step by step. Why is this and how do i get my 1920 back?

When I open CCC I get an error message saying:

"Catalyst Control Center cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using CCC."

Why is this happening?

Also, under Device Manager, the ATI device has a yellow triangle with ! on it. The message in properties says: "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

What am I doing wrong?

edit @ 1:23 am
Ok, I uninstalled CCC and let windows install the best driver and it took me back to the stock 2009 driver and I got my 1920 resolution back, but I don't want the stock driver. So, I reinstalled the 12-6 driver and now my screen is at 1400 again and CCC is saying that the 12-6 driver I re installed has issues because its not digitally signed... but I got it from AMD's website. Massive headache.

edit @ 2:28 am
I ran Driver Sweeper, ATI Crap Cleaner, and Uninstalled the ATI Radeon HD 5870 in Device Manager. Then, I followed this: http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/14070-guide-installing-un-signed-drivers-win-7-x64.html . Specifcally went into cmd.exe and disabled ask for digital signing. Then I ran the 12-6 AMD driver and restarted.

Now I am back in 1920 resolution and the driver is up to date. Only problem now is that Device Manager lists my GPU as an ATI FirePro M7820. I definitely DO NOT have this GPU. GPU-Z and HWiNFO32/64 show that it is still ATI Radeon 5800 Series.

Is my GPU failing? Should I be concerned that the Device is listed wrong in DM? Or am I going to be fine like this?

Can someone please help me figure this all out? :/

dstrakele
07-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Always confrim the particular version video driver you plan to install is applicable to the mobile (as opposed to desktop) version of your video card.

Consider completely uninstalling your current video driver from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program" (rather than Device Manager) before installing a new version. Use Driver Sweeper and CCleaner to remove any remnants after uninstallation.

Boot into Safe Mode to install your video driver. This will disable other running drivers (such as Antivirus) that may potentially interfere with your video driver installation.

Research errors you receive on installation by googling the error text to discover how others resolved the issues.

Aoyoc
07-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks.

I actually had used that same process to get the drivers running and I had no luck each time. I read a bunch of posts by people with the same problem for this GPU and it seemed that their problem went unanswered or un-fixed each time :/

Edit at 11:00 AM
I restarted the computer and my GPU is back to being listed as Radeon HD 5870 instead of the FirePro M7820.

I suppose that means my GPU is okay....? Except for the temperature readings I was getting?

dstrakele
07-19-2012, 04:44 PM
The key is what temperature readings are you getting at idle and when running stress tests now?

Whenever you complete an uninstallation, REBOOT your laptop.
Whenever you complete an installation, REBOOT your laptop.

xeromist
07-19-2012, 06:39 PM
This sounds to me like a driver problem. I haven't tried installing the latest on my G73 because the existing one seems to be working. My guess is that they will resolve it in the next release, or you could try a slightly older but not as old as factory stock driver.