PDA

View Full Version : G75VW-DS71 with Thunderbolt, anyone get Tbolt port to work?

Mako
07-19-2012, 05:50 PM
I have an AJA IO XT, so far the laptop does not put up PNP messages for the device.

Anyone get this laptop working, with any thunderbolt device?

Do i need to update the bios?

Thanks

Shawnnepc
07-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Please note the following :

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17015-G55-Thunderbolt-clarification&country=&status=

Your laptop doesn't have Thunderbolt, you only have display port.

The retailer that you purchased it from is at fault for incorrectly identifying the port.

Mako
07-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Even the G75???

If so this is a crazy mistake! I will box this machine up and send back in a heart beat.

Pretty sure I read several reviews, no one mentioned this. I could swear one review tested the port with a hard drive?

Shawnnepc
07-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Even the G75???

If so this is a crazy mistake! I will box this machine up and send back in a heart beat.

From the above link:
Retailer X shows a G75 with Thunderbolt available!
This is falsely listed. Please give me a link and we will get it corrected.
G75s with Thunderbolt will be available later this year and we will announce availability when they are ready.

I'm sorry that it didn't work out the way that you planned :(

Gr8tHand
07-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Please note the following :

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17015-G55-Thunderbolt-clarification&country=&status=

Your laptop doesn't have Thunderbolt, you only have display port.

The retailer that you purchased it from is at fault for incorrectly identifying the port.

I keep reading about this being the "retailers" fault, why are people protecting the manufacturer? I'm pretty sure Asus had a hand in misleading consumers. They have a thunderbolt above the port!! And did the retailers just assume that these units would have Thunderbolt?? They don't just dream these things up, it had to have been information relayed from the manufacturer as some point...

I believe there is a serious case to be made here for false advertising. I for one am certainly peeved and disappointed at the handling of this issue.

Clintlgm
07-22-2012, 03:06 PM
OK I just got my G75 VW DS2. My port is marked Thunderbolt/Mini Display. How would I know how to turn it on if its available?

Mako
07-22-2012, 04:09 PM
I keep reading about this being the "retailers" fault, why are people protecting the manufacturer? I'm pretty sure Asus had a hand in misleading consumers. They have a thunderbolt above the port!! And did the retailers just assume that these units would have Thunderbolt?? They don't just dream these things up, it had to have been information relayed from the manufacturer as some point...

I believe there is a serious case to be made here for false advertising. I for one am certainly peeved and disappointed at the handling of this issue.

My thoughts exactly on all points.

Its getting boxed up and going back... everyone who bought it thinking there was thunderbolt inside should send them back.

Thunderbolt is not a nice to have for my business. We are video content creators that use specific peripherals with Thunderbolt.

Mako
07-22-2012, 04:13 PM
How much sense does it make to have analog VGA, HDMI and mini displayport one machine?

_
07-23-2012, 02:48 AM

It's not a Thunderbolt logo. Thunderbolt is a circle and bolt, the one we use is a square and bolt to show that it's either/or DisplayPort or Thunderbolt, where applicable. I didn't make the decision and I don't agree with it but this is the reason.

The retailers have very clear guidelines from our sales and at no point do we stipulate Thunderbolt is present on any G75s currently.

Cecil_2099
07-23-2012, 06:37 AM

Initial reviews of the G75 saw the thunderbolt-like marking on the case and assumed it was thunderbolt. From what I remember from my initial research prior to the release of the G75 ASUS had initially planned to include thunderbolt but its inclusion at launch was held back due to Intel's certification for the hardware. ASUS advised all their retailers to not advertise thunderbolt on the G75. Since retailers do not answer to ASUS, it's ultimately not ASUS' fault if a retailer incorrectly markets their product.

Shawnnepc
07-23-2012, 05:52 PM
We were informed by ASUS well ahead of the G series launch.

Gr8tHand
07-23-2012, 05:56 PM
The thunderbolt port on the Macs doesn't even have the "official" logo either, but just a thunderbolt. Regardless of the official logo, it does have a thunderbolt there that represents, as you admit, thunderbolt. (Caveat: where applicable). Even those who had pre-production or early models for review claimed the unit had thunderbolt. And Asus didn't even try to do anything about this...

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/04/asus-republic-of-gamers-g75-laptop-review.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN4coY92yZ8

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/asus-g75vw-as71-core/4505-3121_7-35248863.html

Look, the long and short of it is that retailers, reviews and hype sell the product. The fact that Asus chose to put a logo on the case that made a certain claim that wasn't true is what puts them at fault. And the fact that they chose not to be pro-active in setting the record straight that this was only to be available in later models is also their fault. What was done here is this equivalent of having a sticker that says "intel inside", but later claiming that your unit may or may not have an Intel chipset.

What do you think would have been made of FORD if they were to sell trucks that have a 4X4 logo on the side but then later told the consumer that yours doesn't have 4x4, that's just a logo that says you CAN get one with four wheel drive.

Mako
07-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Has anyone opened up a G55 or G75 machine and confirmed the Thunderbolt PHY chip is not inside?

Shawnnepc
07-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Has anyone opened up a G55 or G75 machine and confirmed the Thunderbolt PHY chip is not inside?

ASUS hasn't released any G series with thunderbolt chips yet.

_
07-25-2012, 01:39 AM

There is no PHY in any machine. G55s with Thunderbolt launch in the next week or so, while G75s with TB are Q4.

mediamastery
10-24-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm extraordinarily upset with this purchase. I purchased a G75VW-DS73 in August from B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855848-REG/ASUS_G75VW_DS73_3D_Republic_of_Gamers_G75VW_DS73_3 D.html). At the time, the specs on the page included Thunderbolt; the page seems to have since been amended. Before purchasing this laptop, I did extensive research and literally every review of the G75VW series made a specific point of highlighting the Thunderbolt port. It is appalling that ASUS refuses ownership of this problem and asserts that every single retailer and every single reviewer is at fault.

Thunderbolt is a circle and a bolt, the one we use is a square and a bolt
This is equivocating at its most disingenuous. The bolt icon denotes Thunderbolt, period, there's nothing else it could suggest. I spent a good deal of time figuring out why my Thunderbolt port was not working before finding this thread, and as a result, I am past the 30-day return period for B&H. Like others in this thread, I am a video professional; I purchased the G75VW over other high-end laptops like Alienware specifically because of the Thunderbolt port, which I require for specific hardware.

Can we expect some sort of trade-in program from ASUS for the folks who bought these laptops under false pretenses? If the retailer does not allow me to return the system past 30 days, I'm on the hook for almost $2000 for a laptop that doesn't serve my business needs. And if enough angry people are all out $2000, a class-action suit becomes a possibility.

Anomaly
04-01-2013, 01:37 AM
I would simply like to know where I can purchase the one wit thunderbolt???
I've looked everywhere and I can't find it???

Help please and thanks

_
04-01-2013, 02:03 AM
No G75VW is fitted with Thunderbolt. The newer G75VX's have it but it is optional and will be listed in the specifications.

RandomLee
05-02-2013, 03:30 AM
Has anyone who purchased a G75VW gotten anywhere with ASUS or retailers with getting this lack of Thunderbolt issue resolved? Much like member mediamastery, I found out after my return period with TIgerDirect that this laptop does not have the Thunderbolt port, as was advertised. I contacted both TigerDirect and ASUS. TigerDirect has given me the run-around and ASUS says that they are only responsible for the 1 year warranty. I did get one member of ASUS support to admit that they initially sent specs to retailers that had Thunderbolt listed as a port on these laptops.

I am getting tired of the lack of customer service. I am about to unleash an onslaught of customer reviews on retailer websites, the Consumerist & bad ratings for these companies. I am not going to give up on this matter and I will even talk to a lawyer if I have to go that far. The lawyers in Florida sure do LOVE suing large companies. I have screen grabs from TigerDirect showing that the Thunderbolt port was listed on their website at time of purchase. I also noticed when I was in TigerDirect the other day that the NEWER G75VWs don't have the lightning bolt in the box above the Mini Displayport. Hmmmmm.... So, ASUS, you admit this icon was misleading?

I think it would be cheaper for ASUS to offer a trade-in option for those owners of the G75VW that were sold on the false advertising that this computer had Thunderbolt. I would be out at least $600 if I were to sell this laptop used on eBay and bought the computer I actually need, the G75VX. If I am going to go to all that trouble, I should just wait until an alternative laptop comes out with Thunderbolt. The funny thing is, I was going to suggest that the company I work for buy a large quantity of these for mobile video editors and other live applications. ASUS will probably lose a lot of money if they can't fix my one problem.

RandomLee
05-02-2013, 05:49 AM
Funny thing, I also found a YouTube video from ASUS Australia, where the ASUS reviewer also original states the G75VW had a Thunderbolt port. If ASUS Australia couldn't even get it right, how were customers suppose to know? Especially since every retail site and product review early on had it wrong? ASUS needs to fix this problem for those who were early adopters and got screwed.

Skull6
05-03-2013, 04:41 PM
"/// The bolt icon denotes Thunderbolt, period, there's nothing else it could suggest... I'm not defending ASUS, but where I work, a "thunderbolt" on anything means "possible shock hazard."