PDA

View Full Version : Likely Future G76 Operating System Choices

Felice Subprogram
07-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Given that Windows 8 is due to be released in October and we are unlikely to see the G76 until well into next year, how likely is it that the successor to the G75 will still be available with Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate instead of the replacement OS ?

I want to buy a machine that has the XP Mode that can run my favourite legacy software.

Shawnnepc
07-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Because the G series is still considered 'consumer' it will never get pro/ultimate SKU.

We will have to see how the Windows 8 launch goes before we can speculate

Bills86e
07-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Why don't we use Win NT anymore?
I have Enterprize edition, is that easy to learn?

rabbert.klein
07-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Given that Windows 8 is due to be released in October and we are unlikely to see the G76 until well into next year, how likely is it that the successor to the G75 will still be available with Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate instead of the replacement OS ?

I want to buy a machine that has the XP Mode that can run my favourite legacy software.

I highly doubt it will come with anything but Windows 8 but that isn't the part to be worried about in my opinion.

FIrst thing to worry about is what ASUS chooses or is forced to do by Microsoft as there is a lot of talk of Secure UEFI and only being allowed to run the OS that came on the PC. I'd hope ASUS will let the consumer choose and not do that but as a Windows OEM ASUS could be forced to lock the UEFI to Windows 8.

Second being the fact that Microsoft seems so sure people want a mobile touchscreen interface on their PCs when no one even really wants it on a phone (comscore reports that in March 2012 MS only had 3.9% market share) I'd imagine they won't include downgrade rights in the EULA and it may not be possible to purchase a license either.

So who knows what the OS fate of the G76 will be except ASUS really.