PDA

View Full Version : Advice for new SSD installation

mrwolf
07-22-2012, 03:59 PM
I have recently been looking to install an SSD into my G75vw. I have seen and read that the performance improvement is great and im willing to maximise my system to reach its potential :)

Currently I have been looking at the OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD. This looks to be the top in its class from what i see, with a transfer rate of 6GB/s. I mainly need it for high performance gaming and other 3d applications.
Here is the link for the OCZ SSD : http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/storage/disk-drives-hdd-ssd/ocz-vertex-4-256gb-1089309/review

What do you guys think? should i go for it, or is there a better drive out there for this machine?

Also, i believe that it is best to install the SSD as the main boot drive with Windows on it for best performance. However I do not have a windows disc. Is it suppose to have come with my G75? i have looked in the box and all i found were the Drivers disc and user manual. So how do i get onto installing windows onto it?

Would i have to install all of my drivers too? Is it better to use the driver disc that came with the notebook or to go and download all the latest ones from the asus website before i put in the SSD?

Any help and reference to some installation guides would be highly appreciated. I just thought i would get all my questions and thoughts out of the way before proceeding as i have never installed an SSD into a notebook before.

Thanks.

Ayman
07-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Am a big fan of OCZ so i have OCZ vertex 4 256GB on my G75 if you get it 1st thing is to update the ssd to the latest firmware v1.5 as for the windows i prefer a fresh windows and use the disk driver and instal just the driver and not all the application(i install Cam Softwate,Charger plus,ATK Package, and power4gear)

*Latest Drivers not updated buy asus:
-Intel® Chipset v9.3.0.1020: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20906/eng/INF_allOS_9.3.0.1020_PV.exe
-Intel USB 3.0 v1.0.5.235 : http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21375/eng/USB3_Win7_1.0.5.235_PV.exe
-Intel® ME 8: Management Engine v8.0.13.1502: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21527/eng/MEI_allOS_8.0.13.1502_1.5M.exe
-Nvidia v304.79 Driver BETA or Use the Asus driver your chose i used the bet: http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-304.79-beta-driver.html

mrwolf
07-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks alot Ayman, I will make sure i install the right drivers and only those applications on the disc, i hate bloatware too :) . How do i update the firmware to v1.5 on the SSD? Is this done after i have fully installed the SSD and windows onto it, or before?

I plan to do a fresh windows install, but how do install windows without the windows disc? Should i get the windows ISO and burn it onto a disc, and then activate with my windows product key?

Also is there any guide or something that will help me physically fit the drive in or could you explain to me since you have done it? I mean i know how to open the back and I have already put some more ram in.. But i jus wanna know which drive is the primary and seconday and how to safely take it out, put the new one in etc etc..

Thanks for the help.

Ayman
07-22-2012, 05:38 PM
-You must update the firmware before you install windows. Firmware SSD for Vertex 4 and Agility 4 Link: http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_4_and_Agility_4/
(Impotent note to update the ssd you must put it in secondary not primary not as a windows os boot) so keep your original HDD in slot 1 and put the SSD in slot two then update the SSD from windows using the Toolbox which you already download it from the link.
1. Run OCZ Toolbox. Toolbox will update firmware to 1.4.1.2 first.
2. Shutdown and restart the system.(Turn off the Laptop and wait 20sec and then boot up)
3. Run OCZ Toolbox again, Toolbox will now update firmware to latest firmware revision.
This completes the firmware update.

-Download Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1 64-bit English and use your windows key to activate
Link: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso

-The photo of the box this came with G75VW and in side it you will find 4 screw drives to put your second HDD

Photo:

Ayman
07-22-2012, 05:46 PM
ASUS G75VW Disassembly Manual

http://computerupgradeking.com/wiki/index.php?title=ASUS_G75VW_Disassembly_Manual

Note: if you disassemble any thing other than you back cover and HDD you will void your warranty.

mrwolf
07-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Amazing ! You guys are so helpful. Thanks again, i will be ordering my OCZ vertex today or maybe when i get to dubai, since im traveling on wednesday. Ill install and let you know how it goes :)

Ayman
07-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Amazing ! You guys are so helpful. Thanks again, i will be ordering my OCZ vertex today or maybe when i get to dubai, since im traveling on wednesday. Ill install and let you know how it goes :)

Welcome and that's why we are here to help and have a nice flight ;)

mrwolf
07-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Ok, so im being a bit impatient here but i have found a gaming pc shop in central london that have the OCZ vertex 4 256GB SSD's in stock :) so i dont need to order it online.. I will go tomorro morning and pick 2 of them up (one for me and one for my bro who has the same laptop).

Now my only concern is before I begin the process of upgrading, is it wise to create some kind of backups? If so, should i use the ASUS AI Recovery to create an ISO back on a DVD? would that be enough?

looking forward to getting things sorted tomorro morning :)

Ayman
07-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Yeah sure see this guide before you burn your recovery disc's http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17461-First-things-to-do-after-buying-G55-G75-based-notebooks&country=&status=

Woots
07-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Any help and reference to some installation guides would be highly appreciated. I just thought i would get all my questions and thoughts out of the way before proceeding as i have never installed an SSD into a notebook before.

Thanks.

video for good measure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nsPU9ERnA

Praz
07-23-2012, 12:39 AM
(Impotent note to update the ssd you must put it in secondary not primary not as a windows os boot) so keep your original HDD in slot 1 and put the SSD in slot two then update the SSD from windows using the Toolbox which you already download it from the link.
As long as the drive is on at least v1.4 firmware it can be updated as the boot drive using the OCZ Toolbox.

mrwolf
07-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Ok so i have now done all my backups and have finally installed the OCZ SSD into my secondary drive.. ( i wish to update the firmware, then use this disk in my primary slot for my main bootdrive )
But now it doesnt show up in my computer :( even though it said windows has succesfully installed the drivers for OCZ....

I opened disk management and it stated that the disk is not initialized and is giving me the option of choosing GPT or MBR ?? WTF lol why does everything have to be so damn complicated..
Please help

mrwolf
07-23-2012, 07:20 PM
I have gone with MBR as i see online that it is better for the boot drive and MBR and GPT have no issues except GPT partitions the drive so i dont need it on a 256gig SSD.. Any further info or advice would be appreciated thanks

mrwolf
07-23-2012, 07:28 PM
I have used the OCZ toolbox, and after updating i restarted my notebook and now there is no more SSD ! :( its not even in device manager..
Please help im in panic mode now

john_from_ohio
07-23-2012, 08:16 PM
I have used the OCZ toolbox, and after updating i restarted my notebook and now there is no more SSD ! :( its not even in device manager..
Please help im in panic mode now

Pull out all the drives except the SSD ... use recovery DVDs to reinstall everything onto your ssd.\

Well documented in a thread by Cecil ...

mrwolf
07-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks, i sorted it out now and did the same installation of the SSD on my bro's G75.. The issue i had was that i had no initialized the disk through disk manager to MBR.. Once i did that it started working again and firmware got updated..

All i can say is WOW what a difference it makes, its lightning fast now cant wait to try out some games :) Also i have windows rating of 7.4 now from 5.9 before..

linkin182
07-26-2012, 06:17 AM
Hey Guys,

Whats the minimum Bios version to install SSD?
I am keen on upgrading it to an SSD but I am not sure if my Bios supports it?
Crucial M4 256GB SSD!

Cecil_2099
07-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Hey Guys,

Whats the minimum Bios version to install SSD?
I am keen on upgrading it to an SSD but I am not sure if my Bios supports it?
Crucial M4 256GB SSD!

It works on base BIOS. I know as I have a Crucial M4 256GB ssd on mine right now.

electric0ant
07-26-2012, 08:44 AM
bit late to the discussion but I think you should have gotten the samsung 830 SSD. but i think they are a bit hard to get hold of since the price drop as everywhere seems to be out of stock of them now.
not a big fan of ocz as two ocz ssds have failed on me, and friend also had one fail on him.

mrwolf
07-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Ah ****t.. really? i tried to do all my reading before hand and i found amazing reviews of the OCZ Vertex 4 series.. Are you sure the ones that failed are the Vertex 4 SSD's? :(

But so far its made my notebook blazzing fast and seems to perform well.. Your SSD's may have failed due to too many read/writes..?
I dno but i have found this link very useful for optimizing and increasing the life of SSD's: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

linkin182
07-27-2012, 03:57 AM
It works on base BIOS. I know as I have a Crucial M4 256GB ssd on mine right now.
ROG Forum was down yesterday, couldnt log into it.
But installed it with the recovery following your posting anyway!
Rock on! Windows Experience 7.3! GTX 660m pulled it down :(

Cecil_2099
07-27-2012, 05:56 AM
Great to hear and glad it worked out well for you!

Bundy_Drop_Bear
07-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Note: if you disassemble any thing other than you back cover and HDD you will void your warranty.

I take it that replacing/cleaning the speaker covers, won't void the warranty as they are under the laptop and mine came with 2 replacement covers. which require the removal of back cover to clean/replace them.

mrwolf
07-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Yea you will not void you warranty by cleaning/replacing the covers, adding ram chips or changing HDD..

Bundy_Drop_Bear
07-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Well the fact that this site shows you how to do each one, (of those upgrades) should be enough evidence to convince people they can without worrying about their warranty's.

jewie27
08-01-2012, 07:36 PM
I have recently been looking to install an SSD into my G75vw. I have seen and read that the performance improvement is great and im willing to maximise my system to reach its potential :)

Currently I have been looking at the OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD. This looks to be the top in its class from what i see, with a transfer rate of 6GB/s. I mainly need it for high performance gaming and other 3d applications.
Here is the link for the OCZ SSD : http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/storage/disk-drives-hdd-ssd/ocz-vertex-4-256gb-1089309/review

What do you guys think? should i go for it, or is there a better drive out there for this machine?

Also, i believe that it is best to install the SSD as the main boot drive with Windows on it for best performance. However I do not have a windows disc. Is it suppose to have come with my G75? i have looked in the box and all i found were the Drivers disc and user manual. So how do i get onto installing windows onto it?

Would i have to install all of my drivers too? Is it better to use the driver disc that came with the notebook or to go and download all the latest ones from the asus website before i put in the SSD?

Thanks.

You can get an SSD upgrade kit from Corsair or Kingston. It includes the SSD and software/cable for cloning your original hard drive.

I bought my cloning kit from Best Buy, it's made by Apricorn. USB - SATA

Torr785
08-02-2012, 12:08 AM
If your going for a fresh install , I found it better to have the one drive installed when installing the OS.
That way your sure to have active partition, boot and system files all on the one drive.
Mine was placing some of them on the second drive making the system not bootable if the second drive swapped out or removed.

mrwolf
08-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Yea that's exactly what I did.. made the SSD the main boot drive and kept my 1tb HDD in there aswel..
Everything is lightning fast now, I feel like the g75 should come with an SSD stock

mrc00l88
04-24-2013, 07:55 PM
what do most of you guys use for the SSD setup? GPT or MBR?

Planning to run a Samsung 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD.

Thanks!