PDA

View Full Version : G55 furmark at 94 degree. 1980x1080 15 min test

lexlex
07-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Hi everyone.

I bought g55 because of the advertised cooling
System. I'm upset with my temp test. I have read a lot that other g55 is at average of 80 degree.

I have tried reinstall the nvdia driver but same.

Anyone can help ? Thanks

kiba
07-23-2012, 10:07 AM
sounds like a bad thermal paste job on your unit... best bet is to return or exchange it.

what was the ambient temp of the room you were in when running the benchmark?

lexlex
07-23-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure about my room temp. But when idling , furmark read my gpu temp at 48 to 50. And once click on the 1980 , 15 min test, the temp jump immediately to about 68 degree at 2%.

If I return to warranty centre got to wait at least 5 days for them to check the notebook.

Normal surfing furmark reads my gpu at about 48 degree and I can feel slight warm at the keypad area. Normal ?

And is there any other software to recommend that can read CPU and gpu temp ?

lexlex
07-23-2012, 11:04 AM
I actually called up my country asus support and they say furmark is a 3rd party software and can't justify that my g55 have a heat issue.

I emailed customer service help desk and they advise me to reinstall gpu driver and update bios to 209.

Did the reinstall driver. Still same. Bios not yet. Is it advisable to update bios?

Anyway I don't think it's software problem as those g55 with the same driver and bios does not have this high temp.

G55vw
07-23-2012, 03:25 PM
g55vw hk

good luck

lexlex
07-23-2012, 03:41 PM
g55vw hk

good luck

Bro. i notice your driver is different. Dated on 12/06/2012.

Where you download the new driver from?

Mine is old driver.

RecceDG
07-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Here's a quick lesson on thermodynamics:

The word "cooler" when used with regard to the thermal management system of the CPU is a bit of a misnomer. The heat sink and fan assembly isn't a "cooler" in the sense that it refrigerates the CPU; rather it is a heat exchanger; moving heat out of the CPU, into the heat sink, and from there out into the air.

One of the key facts here is that the heat exchanger cannot lower the temperature of the CPU lower than that of the outside air. If the air temp is 70F, then the CPU cannot be colder than 70F. If the air temp is 100F, then the CPU cannot be colder than 100F.

So the ambient air temperature really really matters when running one of these stress tests - especially in summer (if your room is not air-conditioned). If you compare numbers between a test run in a 70F room compared to a 100F room, the 100F room will run 30F hotter even when the computer is working perfectly.

Secondly, any time heat has to move from one medium to another there is an efficiency involved. You can think of the transition as a pipe, where a highly thermally conductive medium with a lot of surface area is a fat pipe, and an insulating medium with a little surface area is a narrow pipe.

The thermal compound used as the interface between the CPU die and the heat sink is intended to widen the pipe that heat flows through to get it out of the CPU and into the heat sink. The surface of the CPU die is not perfectly flat, nor is the surface of the bottom of the heat sink. The thermal compound fills in any gaps between the die and heat sink so the pipe is as wide as possible. If the thermal compound is incorrectly applied, then the pipe for heat out of the CPU is smaller than it could be and heat will be slower getting into the heat sink where it can be transferred to the outside air.

And of course, the amount of heat coming out of the heat sink and into the air is a function of how much air mass is flowing over the cooling fins (itself a function of how much air the fans can move and how plugged up the air flow channels are) and how good the heat sink is at moving heat into whatever air is flowing over it (a function of the surface area of the fins and how clean they are)

Because temperature is a measure of how much heat is in any given component, any restriction in the flow of heat from the CPU die, through the thermal paste into the heat sink, and from the heat sink into the ambient air, will show up as an elevated temperature.

So when the CPU appears to be running hot, the questions that need to be answered, in order, are:

1. What is the ambient air temperature? (which represents the lower bound on the CPU temp)

2. Are the cooling air filters plugged?

3. Are the fans running at full speed?

4. Are the cooling fins on the heat sink dirty?

5. Is the thermal paste properly applied?

DG

lexlex
07-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Hi dg. Thank your for your detailed sharing.

Im getting desperate now. Is it necessary to update to latest bios 209 for g55?

But I don't think my high gpu temp is related with bios as other g55 owners are fine with old bios.

lexlex
07-24-2012, 12:30 PM
My is a new set and my guess is could be thermal paste poorly paste. By e way how to I check my fan speed is running at max speed ?