PDA

View Full Version : No USB ports are working

mikec5867
07-24-2012, 02:21 AM
I am having trouble with my G75V laptop. When I got home from work tonight and booted into Home Premium 64-bit, my ASUS gaming mouse wouldn't respond and the ASUS logo on the top would blink and go out. I moved it from the USB 2.0 ports (right-hand side) to the left-hand USB 3.0 ports and had the same experience. I tried a USB flash drive and got no response. Every USB device I tried had the same no response.

I tried un-installing the USB devices and letting Windows re-install them. No joy. I booted into my work partition (Windows 7 Pro) and the mouse lit up and was working. Leaving it plugged in and re-booting back into Home Premium, I watched as the OS started and the logo on the mouse went out.

So, it's definitely the OS. But how to fix it is the question. Does anyone have any ideas? It was working perfectly this morning before I shut down and went to work. I have ASUS Live Update un-installed, so it couldn't be a screw up from it.

dstrakele
07-24-2012, 02:37 AM
Did you try a Windows System Restore to restore your system back to the time when your USB Mouse and USB ports were working?

Guitarmaker
07-24-2012, 02:51 AM
Also check to make sure the mouse is listed in the Device Manager under 'mice and other pointing devices'. Check both the Home Premium and Pro versions for differences in mice and Human Interface Devices. You may have 'lost' the basic driver in Home Premium.

mikec5867
07-24-2012, 03:01 AM
Yes, I did try a System Restore and there was no response from any of the ports. This issue does not just involve my mouse. NO usb devices work in *ANY* of the usb ports with Home Premium. Booting into Pro causes everything to work again. Also, after uninstalling the USB devices in Device Manager, I now have an exclamation point next to Universal Serial Bus Controller. When I try to use Windows to fix the driver issue, it cannot find the driver.

Is there somewhere I can download the driver and install it manually?

dstrakele
07-24-2012, 03:17 AM
When the first System Restore failed, did you then try an earlier Restore Point? It sounds like you didn't go far enough back in time. Remember, you can always UNDO a System Restore if it fails to resolve the issue.

Did you try restoring your last stable Windows System Image from your backups?

Thera are 2 USB drivers you need to install. You can download both Intel Chipset and and Intel USB 3.0 drivers from http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G75VW&p=3&s=388. Just select the OS and expand the "Chipset" and "USB" items for download links. You could also probably download more recent versions direct from Intel.

@Guitarmaker has a good idea. You can compare driver versions from your working and non-working Windows 7 instances.

Guitarmaker
07-24-2012, 03:29 AM
Here is the link to the latest Intel Chipset drivers and how to load them:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19481-Intel-Chipset-Drivers-v9.3.0.1021&country=&status=

Roderick
07-24-2012, 09:57 AM
I am having trouble with my G75V laptop. When I got home from work tonight and booted into Home Premium 64-bit, my ASUS gaming mouse wouldn't respond and the ASUS logo on the top would blink and go out. I moved it from the USB 2.0 ports (right-hand side) to the left-hand USB 3.0 ports and had the same experience. I tried a USB flash drive and got no response. Every USB device I tried had the same no response.

I tried un-installing the USB devices and letting Windows re-install them. No joy. I booted into my work partition (Windows 7 Pro) and the mouse lit up and was working. Leaving it plugged in and re-booting back into Home Premium, I watched as the OS started and the logo on the mouse went out.

So, it's definitely the OS. But how to fix it is the question. Does anyone have any ideas? It was working perfectly this morning before I shut down and went to work. I have ASUS Live Update un-installed, so it couldn't be a screw up from it.

after updating usb 3.0 driver u HAVE to do a new insatall of USB quick charge driver!

worked for my USB problems...

sorry for my bad english !

mikec5867
07-25-2012, 12:14 AM
When I arrived at work, I logged into the domain and went to Device Manager. I wrote down the entire list of USB controllers (I had an idea as soon as I saw the USB 3.0 controller) and then booted into my private partition. Going to Device Manager, sure enough, the USB 3.0 controller was gone.

So, I downloaded it again from the Asus site and re-installed it. Bingo! Lights on for the mouse and it's working like a charm. All other ports are working great, as well. I do get asked to install an Intel software program every time Windows boots now. Is there an updated USB 3.0 driver that doesn't ask to install a program every time?

Also, I am slightly troubled that the driver just disappeared. Has anyone else had this issue show up?

MaXimus711
07-25-2012, 12:29 AM
The latest Intel USB 3.0 drivers as well as the latest Rapid Storage Technology, Management Engine Components, Intel Chipset Drivers, are all located in this thread:

ASUS G75VW Clean Install Guide (http://forums.pctweakers.net/showthread.php/129-ASUS-G75VW-Clean-Install-Guide)

I never EVER get any pop-up to update anything as I always have the latest drivers installed :)

Make sure to uninstall the Intel Management Recovery Agent after you install the Intel Management Engine Components, you only need the driver and the recovery agent is only used by remote support IT staff and is useless to the normal users