PDA

View Full Version : G55 - 1920X180 Furmark 15 Min Run - Max GPU Temp of 73*C - Not Every G55 Has Issues

Almost Tactful
07-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Since so many people have been complaining I don't want others browsing and getting the wrong idea. The G55 is just as capable as it's bigger brother, after 15 mins I didn't break 73*C and this is even in a room with an 80*F ambient temp.

You can also see via the side bar that within seconds the GPU was already cooling off and was sub 60*C, this screen shot was taken right when the test ended so it's not like it had 30 seconds to cool down.

iBoody
07-26-2012, 03:55 AM
Since so many people have been complaining I don't want others browsing and getting the wrong idea. The G55 is just as capable as it's bigger brother, after 15 mins I didn't break 73*C and this is even in a room with an 80*F ambient temp.

You can also see via the side bar that within seconds the GPU was already cooling off and was sub 60*C, this screen shot was taken right when the test ended so it's not like it had 30 seconds to cool down.

As a G55 owner do you ever able to check the GPU fan speed via AIDA or what ever static tool? Reason is with the G75 series models shows two fan speeds separately but my G55 doesn't. Take a look at this thread...! (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19626-G55-GPU-Temperature-Thresholds-and-Fan-speeds-(on-Fully-Loaded)&country=&status=)

Any idea???

Almost Tactful
07-26-2012, 04:44 AM
I don't show 2 fan speeds either, however when I go through AIDA (which is what I use) it says my mobo isn't supported yet so I'm not shocked it isn't seeing both fans.

Watch this video if you have doubts, at about 6:10-6:15 you can clearly see 2 independent fan setups :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYZAglEhuXo

c_man
07-26-2012, 06:16 AM
The G55 is one of the most complicated laptops I have ever seen, without any good reason at all. Good luck cleaning those fans.

Back on topic. Problem is that indeed all G55/75 are not the same. Some guys have only a better CPU or GPU cooling. Some have them both, some none.

I for example might be one with great GPU cooling, with stock clocks in game it does 68C and with +135Mhz OC it does only 70C. But the CPU itself can hit 100C in some tests. That is quite a lot.

With G75 things are not that different. Some (all I have found in fact, but others say they have macines that work at 3.1Ghz all the time) do CPU throttle (some worse than others). Some are not at all quiet even when browsing. Some won't OC the GPU very well. Some have no Performance section in BIOS (G55 has same problem, it's like playing on the lottery, but the price is a little high). And so on.

iBoody
07-26-2012, 06:32 AM
I don't show 2 fan speeds either, however when I go through AIDA (which is what I use) it says my mobo isn't supported yet so I'm not shocked it isn't seeing both fans.

Watch this video if you have doubts, at about 6:10-6:15 you can clearly see 2 independent fan setups :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYZAglEhuXo

no, AIDA does show CPU fan speed. But not the GPU, that it shows as 0%. Try to update to a latest x64 edition and check it! (I don't remember the exact category it displays. but it shows!)

wolfz
08-02-2012, 05:16 AM
it's because on g55 - the CPU and GPU are sharing the cooler heatsink/fan. No separate cooler like in g75 just because we dont have enough space for 'em in g55

Almost Tactful
08-02-2012, 05:33 AM
What? We have seperate cooling just like the G75 ;)

kiba
08-02-2012, 05:50 AM
it's because on g55 - the CPU and GPU are sharing the cooler heatsink/fan. No separate cooler like in g75 just because we dont have enough space for 'em in g55

no, it just looks like that because of the batterry placement, my g74 is the same way but trust me, the heatsinks are seperate.

ImperfectLink
08-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Hey Almost Tactful, have you tested the CPU as well as the GPU?

My CPU hits 93C in about 8 mins of AIDA. The GPU hits 77C in the 15min test. All with an ambient temp of 25C (77F).

Almost Tactful
08-09-2012, 03:42 PM
I can check it again for ya, the last time I checked it I used OCCT 3.1 and I think the CPU only hit 70-72*C on LinPack but I'm not 100% on that. In games the CPU normally chills around 65*C