PDA

View Full Version : Safely Transfer files from C: in another driver

vinney15
07-25-2012, 06:30 AM
I've recently pretty much filled up my C: which is my SSD with games and programs etc. I want to know the safest way to transfer them to another drive without screwing anything up, if there is a way?

Dark
07-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Never put programs on a SSD you'll break it and slow the crap out of it. Also its easy just copy them over to a other disk drive or delete the stuff what u dont need. N ps its safe

Cecil_2099
07-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Never put programs on a SSD you'll break it and slow the crap out of it. Also its easy just copy them over to a other disk drive or delete the stuff what u dont need. N ps its safe

Wait, what? What's the point of even having a SSD if you don't put programs on it? Isn't the point of having a SSD to speed up the loading of programs? Of course if you mean don't fill it up, then yes you're correct. Filling up a SSD will slow it down. Also simply copying over programs from one drive to another does not guarantee that the programs will still work. Your shortcuts will need to be updated and in most cases so will registry entries too.

Dark
07-25-2012, 09:46 AM
not really most user just have the ssd for the operating system and some games never programs as this fills it up making it slow then iit dies.

kinda what u said :)

but i find prgrams a nightmare on a ssd as they use up space one program what can kill a ssd is photo shop really bad program i put it on ms ssd n yeah it slowed the hell out of it but i just got two ssd now and a 500gig hd all i need

MaXimus711
07-25-2012, 11:43 AM
not really most user just have the ssd for the operating system and some games never programs as this fills it up making it slow then iit dies.

kinda what u said :)

but i find prgrams a nightmare on a ssd as they use up space one program what can kill a ssd is photo shop really bad program i put it on ms ssd n yeah it slowed the hell out of it but i just got two ssd now and a 500gig hd all i need

Please NEVER EVER attempt to advice anyone with such false information! You have no idea what you are talking about and are spreading false information!!

1- People buy an SSD to put the OS and their programs/games on it to benefit from its superior speed! Why the heck would I buy an SSD and then install the games/programs on the HDD?? The HDD is best to store data that doesn't require speed such as documents, music, videos, etc

2- You have no idea how an SSD works and what kills it or not.... I have always been loading programs, games, constantly moving data on my SSD . The average life span of a modern SSD is 10 years of usage. They have improved wayy too much since the initial days of the SSDs

To the original posted, what I do is when I format my laptop, I partition my SSD into 2 parts:

C: = 60 GB for Windows + installed programs
D: = 178 GB (SSD 2nd partition) for keeping my Software collection, this allows me to install programs much faster as it is reading directly from and writing to the SSD
E: = 1 TB (single partition for my HDD) for storing my documents, music MP3s, videos, movies, etc.

A simple guide to do this:

How to move personal folders to another partition (ie. D: or E:) (http://forums.pctweakers.net/showthread.php/143-How-to-move-personal-folders-to-another-partition-%28ie-D-or-E-%29)

Dark
07-25-2012, 11:52 AM
ok so why is it when i put photo shop c5 on my ssd it's really slow after ??? n i have 160 gig ssd

and then some bits n bobs i had over 80+ gig left n it was slow

vinney15
07-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Please NEVER EVER attempt to advice anyone with such false information! You have no idea what you are talking about and are spreading false information!!

1- People buy an SSD to put the OS and their programs/games on it to benefit from its superior speed! Why the heck would I buy an SSD and then install the games/programs on the HDD?? The HDD is best to store data that doesn't require speed such as documents, music, videos, etc

2- You have no idea how an SSD works and what kills it or not.... I have always been loading programs, games, constantly moving data on my SSD . The average life span of a modern SSD is 10 years of usage. They have improved wayy too much since the initial days of the SSDs

To the original posted, what I do is when I format my laptop, I partition my SSD into 2 parts:

C: = 60 GB for Windows + installed programs
D: = 178 GB (SSD 2nd partition) for keeping my Software collection, this allows me to install programs much faster as it is reading directly from and writing to the SSD
E: = 1 TB (single partition for my HDD) for storing my documents, music MP3s, videos, movies, etc.

A simple guide to do this:

How to move personal folders to another partition (ie. D: or E:) (http://forums.pctweakers.net/showthread.php/143-How-to-move-personal-folders-to-another-partition-%28ie-D-or-E-%29)

Thankyou for your help i really appreciate it!

i have 62Gb on my C: out of 70GB that sounds about right?

What do i use my other SSD partioions for just high end games? thanks for your patience

soulctcher
07-25-2012, 12:52 PM

I was so glad to see someone post something of reason to this thread like this.

The SSD is very much meant for being the install path for all of your programs. Hell, what do people think Windows is? (Hint: it's a collection of programs!)

Personally, I'm not a fan of keeping the windows folder and program files folders separated via partitions...so I have my SSD split into 3...the EFI, recovery, and OS/Programs, then I use the HDD as my data drive for all the data I need.

Dark
07-25-2012, 12:54 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19680-Photo-shop-cs5-slows-down-ssd-to-sht-why oh oh try reading forum b4 posting :) ^^^^^

soulctcher
07-25-2012, 01:16 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19680-Photo-shop-cs5-slows-down-ssd-to-sht-why oh oh try reading forum b4 posting :) ^^^^^
Yeah, I did read. I am still reading.

Try to take the flamebait out of your posts. You gave bad advice because you have one experience with one software suite on one machine.

If you want to be constructive, try checking the alignment on your SSD:
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/checking_ssd_alignment

That's one thing you can look at to see if you've got an SSD issue.

Dark
07-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I did read. I am still reading.

Try to take the flamebait out of your posts. You gave bad advice because you have one experience with one software suite on one machine.

If you want to be constructive, try checking the alignment on your SSD:
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/checking_ssd_alignment

That's one thing you can look at to see if you've got an SSD issue.yup my error but on saying it was slowing all my prgrams down on my ssd so that could be of blame not myself im kinda new to ssd but had one for over a year had zero problems it took ages to work out that it was photo shop but im still confused as on other users ssd photo shop works perfect yet for me its being a nightmare so its weird and thank u for the link ill check that now .