PDA

View Full Version : G75VW Display Problem

CuriouS
07-25-2012, 10:02 AM
I bought my G75VW almost a month ago. Until a few days ago, I was really enjoying it but then I noticed something awkward. My eyes were getting really tired after only 2-3 hours of gamimg. This had never happened to me before. Then one time when I looked at something right next to my laptop while playing Dota 2, I saw with my peripheral vision waves on the display. They were moving from the top part to the bottom part, mostly around the center, and were relatively fast. When I looked towards the screen though, the waves were very difficult to see and I only saw them when there were very contrasting colors next to each other. These waves don't appear 100% of the time, though. What can be causing these waves and what should I do?

_
07-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Have you enabled Vsync in games? Or is it all the time - like Windows desktop?

CuriouS
07-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Yes, I have enabled Vsync in all the games I play. The waves appear even on the windows desktop, but as I said before, they are not appearing 100% of the time.

Shawnnepc
07-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Download this: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

After it is installed you should see a program called D3DOverrider located in the Rivatuner folder under All programs.

Set the tool to boot with windows.

It will force vsync in ALL games and applications.

_
07-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Yes, I have enabled Vsync in all the games I play. The waves appear even on the windows desktop, but as I said before, they are not appearing 100% of the time.

Right click on desktop, screen resolution, advanced settings, monitor - what refresh rate is it running at? Does it change between plugged in and on battery?

CuriouS
07-25-2012, 05:49 PM
It is running at 60 Hertz both when plugged in and on battery. Right now I'm on battery and the waves are still present even while I'm just browsing. Also, the power management options for on battery and plugged in are exactly the same, if that is of any help.

I tried reverting to the nvidia drivers on the cd which came with my laptop (I had been using the Verde 304.79 Driver since it came out) but that did not improve the situation.

I also tried using the program Shawnnepc recommended, but to no avail. Btw, how is Vsync supposed to help me? I thought it resolved issues like screen tearing and image distortion in full screen applications by synchronizing the fps with the monitor refresh rate. These waves are more like small vibrations/slight flickering and occur even when I am just browsing.

Amorphyrus
08-07-2012, 08:22 AM
I have the same problem as well. And, like CuriouS said "These waves don't appear 100% of the time". I figered out, the shimmering appears when screen backlight brightness drops below 80% (or so). When in the most bright mode or a little dimmer it behaves just fine. I'm afraid, this is hardware issue.
Along with the audio problems, very disappointing for me.

sry for my English

CuriouS
08-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Yes, I have noticed the same thing. These horizontal lines/waves are visible when the brightness is lower than ~80%.

Amorphyrus
08-07-2012, 10:46 AM
I have no idea what to do next. Would be great to hear other's ROGer opinion about this. First of all, everybody, who read this post - sweep brightness up and down and look closely on screen behaviour. I wonder if it is LED related malfunction or just ours lappies bug.

c_man
08-07-2012, 11:28 AM
I had a screen flicker issue too, but wasnt like yours. But you can try to do what i did which worked for me.

Open the nvidia control panel, then adjust desktop size and position and hit full screen

Then go to change resolution -> Customize -> Create Custom resolution -> Type 67 in refresh rate

and select it on the list after, then right click desktop > Screen Resolution > Advanced Settings > Monitor Tab > Screen Refresh Rate > put in 67hz

This should help.

Amorphyrus
08-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Hmm, thank you, c_man! Looks like problem solved for me)

CuriouS
08-07-2012, 06:45 PM
It solved the problem for me as well, but only partially. I still have the issue in games that do not support / allow me to set the refresh rate to this value. I guess I will have to play these games on maximum brightness. Thank you!

c_man
08-07-2012, 07:03 PM
I only did 4 games so far and all worked well. Battlefield 3, Max Payne 3, Spec Ops - The Line, Inversion. I can't say anything beyond these, sorry.

HForce
03-07-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm "happy" to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing this kind of problem...and sorry for posting so late.
By the way, I've set mine to 90Hz ( reverted it back to 60 after a few hours to prevent any matrix damage ), almost completely solved the problem with the browsing experience, but like CuriouS said - it's still the same in the games.
My question is, does anyone who has configured an other ( than 60Hz ) refreshment rate experience any kind of display reaction slowness ( i.e. when minimizing a game, it takes much longer to actually process the image? ).