PDA

View Full Version : High pitched noise coming from G74SX?

Lazer77
07-30-2012, 04:30 AM
Came out of nowhere. I was browsing Facebook when I heard this faint high pitch noise, I couldn't tell whether it was coming from my laptop or not. I played GTA: San Andreas a little later, and the noise got louder, and it became apparent that it was coming from the laptop. I love this thing but its a complex machine! Does anyone have any idea what this is?

Zygomorphic
07-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Probably one of the fans has a bit of dust in the bearing. Nothing to worry about as long as the temps remain fine. If the fans stop running or the temps suddenly go up dramatically, get in touch with ASUS for an RMA.

kimiraikkonen
07-30-2012, 10:33 AM
I hear kind of noise from speakers since audio subsystem is turned on by Windows when the system is booted. I know it's not a driver issue and a kind of magnetic interference flaw of Asus designers. It's audible if you care to notice it and stick your ear next to speakers. Otherwise it's not highly irritating. Finding that kind of "silly" flaws reallys makes me nervous and estrange from my gaming rig. I'm not sure whether Asus cares its customes by employing faulty designers and engineers.

Lazer77
07-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Hmm, if its either of these things, should I not worry about it? The part that bothers me most is how it wasn't there this morning when I was on my laptop, and then it happened later on. Its pretty noticeable even during simple tasks, I turned my laptop on to check this, and I could hear it as soon as I hit the power button. Its not like super annoying, but its definitely noticeable if you have no other noise in the room. I might blow compressed air into the laptop sometime soon, maybe that will clear something up if it is dust.

MrRuckus
08-03-2012, 09:18 PM
There are 2 fans in this laptop. While they are silent most of the time, they are not completely silent. In a quiet room I can hear them. It sounds like completely normal operation to me. Pretty sure the fans are temp controlled, so if your CPU spiked for some reason, it may kick the fans into a higher RPM for a moment or 2. Normally this is noticeable in games, but I could see it also happening at the desktop if a website and or application taxes the CPU for a moment.

cl-scott
08-03-2012, 09:49 PM
I would have to say that my hardware tech background makes me immediately think that it's a bad fan bearing, meaning that the fan could fail at some point. Do try the compressed air first, but if the noise doesn't go away, I would recommend getting it looked at by someone. If it's still under warranty, I'd send it in. If it were my laptop, I'd rather wait a week or two and be told it's nothing than the alternative. And even if it's OOW, getting someone to replace a fan should be a pretty inexpensive repair.