PDA

View Full Version : Difference BIOS ver. 207 & 210, Worth the upgrade?

Singinwolf725
07-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Greetings All,
I was wondering if anyone has upgraded from BIOS ver. 207 to 210 and is it worth it?
Thabjs

Almost Tactful
07-31-2012, 12:52 AM
The only time I ever see a BIOD update as worth it, is if I'm having issues. I'm still running 206 and I'm happy as pie. No need to risk bricking it over nothing :)

MaXimus711
07-31-2012, 02:26 AM
for me, when there is a BIOS update, it's like breathing new life into my computer and I update right away!

Updating ASUS notebooks is the easiest way in any other laptop through the Easy Flash in BIOS

this 210 BIOS has updated VGA BIOS + better Turbo Boost throttling!

Almost Tactful
07-31-2012, 03:09 AM
What will it get me? I don't throttle at all now.

MaXimus711
07-31-2012, 03:31 AM
What will it get me? I don't throttle at all now.
It enhanced the Turbo Boost I now get all the way up to 3.27 GHz. on High Performance on some apps that use a single core whereas before I only maxed out @ 3 Ghz. or 3.10 Ghz.

mrwolf
07-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Hmm are you sure that is attributed towards the BIOS version..? Ive got BIOS 207 and ive seen mine go up to 3.20
I think it might be more due to the latest chipset drivers..
Either way the decision is up to you.. It doesnt look too complicated either when you look at Maximus's instructions.
For those of you who want to update go here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18984-NEw-BIOS-210-for-the-G75VW&country=&status=

The only reason i havnt yet is because i dont have a FAT16 usb flash disk :s

Bundy_Drop_Bear
07-31-2012, 02:10 PM
@ Mrwolf I read in another BIOS update post that FAT and FAT16 are the same thing so formatting a USB to just FAT will (should )work.
I think it was MaXimus711 was the one who posed it.

c_man
07-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Guys, the CPU will go to a max of 3.3Ghz, but it's not in fixed steps and it's on demand. If you really want to see that it goes to the max value of one core, just keep an eye on it for a few minutes with High performance active.

You do not need BIOS or anything else. This is already in the CPU. This is mine:

http://s17.postimage.org/ic78o9fpr/Clipboard01_cpu.jpg

MaXimus711
07-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Hmm are you sure that is attributed towards the BIOS version..? Ive got BIOS 207 and ive seen mine go up to 3.20
I think it might be more due to the latest chipset drivers..
Either way the decision is up to you.. It doesnt look too complicated either when you look at Maximus's instructions.
For those of you who want to update go here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18984-NEw-BIOS-210-for-the-G75VW&country=&status=

The only reason i havnt yet is because i dont have a FAT16 usb flash disk :s

FAT is the same thing as FAT16 and should work just fine!

Alternatively, there are hundreds of free tools online that can format in FAT16 (and the name appears as FAT16)

c_man
07-31-2012, 03:41 PM
I've done a lot of BIOS updates with WinFLash and I had no problems at all.

kiba
08-01-2012, 01:46 AM
the answer is no if you are not having any problems w/ the current bios.

NEVER do a bios flash w/ winflash. there are too many things that could go wrong e.g. background applications running etc, use a FAT32 formatted usb disk from EZFLASH2 ALWAYS

c_man
08-01-2012, 09:12 AM
If something is to go wrong, it will no matter what. I have done so many BIOS updates I can't even remember the number. And I think I've been doing this from Windows for about 10 years.

Back in the days it was fun with manual back-up on those big floppy (flappy LOL) disks. Now there is a fail safe buit into them, it's safer than ever.

Almost Tactful
08-01-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm on the....friends don't let friends flash through windows bandwagon :) using a USB stick and going through BIOS is the safest way to do it IMO and it takes almost zero effort to do so. Windows (to me) is just to unstable to risk bricking my machine when I can do it in BIOS effortlessly. For an in BIOS BIOS flash to fail the USB has to go bad mid flash, there are a lot more moving parts in Windows that I'd be worried about, but to each is own :)

c_man
08-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Asus laptops have a BIOS failsafe, a lot of things need to go wrong to brick it. But people are free to choose the best option possible. I'm just saying what I've done for years when it was possible, both on desktop and laptop. I never had problems.

Torr785
08-02-2012, 12:16 AM
If you must do it ( cause you can) , there is no reason not to use the EZFLASH 2 within bios . A $2 usb memory stick will do the job.
So yeah I'm against bios updates in windows as well , less things to interfere with theflashing.

I haven't noticed any difference between the 2 bioses.

kiba
08-02-2012, 02:22 AM
If something is to go wrong, it will no matter what. I have done so many BIOS updates I can't even remember the number. And I think I've been doing this from Windows for about 10 years.

Back in the days it was fun with manual back-up on those big floppy (flappy LOL) disks. Now there is a fail safe buit into them, it's safer than ever.

do a search for threads started on this forum by people who bricked their laptops by flashing them the way you suggest, (there are hundreds) flashing bios in windows is NEVER a good idea.

kiba
08-02-2012, 02:29 AM
For an in BIOS BIOS flash to fail the USB has to go bad mid flash

or a power outage/power surge, or a corrupted bios file during download, etc, etc. there are always things that can go wrong w/ a bios flash even if you do it right, which is why you should only flash bios if asus tells you to, or to solve a problem that the new bios fixes. never 'just cause', theres usually no point.

c_man
08-02-2012, 09:08 AM
do a search for threads started on this forum by people who bricked their laptops by flashing them the way you suggest, (there are hundreds) flashing bios in windows is NEVER a good idea.

Never had any problems. Did they knew how to recover the BIOS? What happend exactly, that is what I would like to know since there are a few steps just for safety so this would not happen.

Anyway, no method is 100% safe. That is why there is a failsafe in the first place.

kiba
08-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Never had any problems. Did they knew how to recover the BIOS? What happend exactly, that is what I would like to know since there are a few steps just for safety so this would not happen.

Anyway, no method is 100% safe. That is why there is a failsafe in the first place.

what happened is that they bricked their laptops w/ winflash. the g75 has a factory bios backup/bios recovery option, (ctrl+home) but the other g series do not. from what i have seen, bricking w/ winflash happens more often than not, there is really no reson to use it, if you do, youre asking for trouble... some people have been unable to get (ctrl+home) to work after a bad flash w/ winflash.