PDA

View Full Version : Tips to cool down a 1 month old brand new oven G53SX?

mikezzz2012
08-02-2012, 12:03 PM
My G53SX specs (i7-2670QM CPU@2,20gh(8CPUs),MEMORY=16GB,OS=Windows 7 Premium 64 bit NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560M, DAC TYPE: Intergrated RAMDAC, Approx total memory 4047MB Current display mode 1366x768(32bit)(60HZ)),

So after 1 hour of playing battlefield 3 (settings on High not ultra and antialiasing is off), I turned on speccy and these are the temperatures

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz 81 C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G53SX (CPU 1) 80 C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
2047MB GeForce GTX 560M (ASUStek Computer Inc) 79 C

- So I just bought this a month ago and these are the temps, I just stated hardcore gaming 3 weeks ago and these are the temperatures after 1 hour of gaming. I tried gaming with the airconditioner ON in my room and it decreases the temps to 6 celsius, but that just it. Is there any way to cool down this oven of a laptop? Will a cooling pad do any good? Im really dissapointed, this is supposed to be a gaming laptop yet its more like an oven I feel like its gonna blow up coz the keyboard IS REALLY HOT!

chrsplmr
08-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Welcome mikee... A few questions ..
Was it hot 1 month ago also ?
Do you have animals ? (cats,dog.??)
Is anything blocking the exhaust vents ?
Have you used some air or a vac on the vents?

30 days ? what of the retailer ? any return/replace time left ?
Sounds to me like a lil thermal repasting is in order -- it ROGs bf3,
you mention no qlitches except the heat ..
(the forum is experiencing database errors and not all the members
are able to get in ..)
Hang in there .. a cooling pad will be 'some' help .. but thats no cure.c.

Zygomorphic
08-02-2012, 01:12 PM
The chillpad is worth a try, just make sure to get it from a place with a good return policy if the cooling pad does not help. Your best bet is to contact ASUS if you have gotten it just a month ago. I game on mine for an hour, and I would get 55 C normally.

mikezzz2012
08-03-2012, 03:07 PM
@chrsplmr
Was it hot 1 month ago also ? Yes it was hot also 1 month ago, when playing games like BF3, also flight simulator x, especially when theres no airconditioner on in my room, no I have no pets,

Do you have animals ? (cats,dog.??) -Nope
Is anything blocking the exhaust vents ?-Nope
Have you used some air or a vac on the vents? -Nope, didnt think I needed one since this was new =)

30 days ? what of the retailer ? any return/replace time left ? I bought this from best buy my dad paid additional for a 3 year warranty, also the sticker on the touchpad right area has Asus 12 mos warranty

Sounds to me like a lil thermal repasting is in order -- it ROGs bf3,
you mention no qlitches except the heat ..- Yeah just the heat, Im just dissapointed coz according to the youtube advertisement on this laptop it says "Cool under fire",I highly doubt that now

(the forum is experiencing database errors and not all the members

are able to get in ..) - I dont know how to solve that lol

Hang in there .. a cooling pad will be 'some' help .. but thats no cure.c. - Currently looking for one.

mikezzz2012
08-03-2012, 03:10 PM
@Zygomorphic What ? Only 55C when gaming for one hour? My laptop gets to 75C even in 20 minutes only,then rises to 80C at 30-40 mins then the keyboard gets hot.. I really think there is something wrong with this laptop. My dad bought this In Canada best buy, now I have to wait till he has another flight there , (he's a pilot)hopefully he can exchange it.

mikezzz2012
08-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Just to update I just played battlefield 3 now, just high settings not ultra, and OFF on antialiasing. After one hour these are the temps according to speccy

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz 80 C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G53SX (CPU 1) 83 C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
2047MB GeForce GTX 560M (ASUStek Computer Inc) 75 C

And yes, the keyboard,specifically the right half of the keyboard is really hot. Guys, is my 30 day old Asus g53sx like, how do I say this,kind of busted? I would really understand if those temps appeared after like 8 mos pf playing but just after 1 month (Bought this June 28 2012), the temps seem kind of really high. Im afraid my laptop wont last long.

MrRuckus
08-03-2012, 07:39 PM
On a G53, I dont think those temps are out of the ordinary. I had a G53 before I went to the G74, the smaller chassis in the 15inch laptop Im sure doesn't have the same size heatsink or the airspace that the 17inch allows, my temps were night and day different between the 2. The GPU is also closer to the Keyboard, which in turn makes it hot. Unfortunately they improved the chassis a great deal in the G Series as they go up, The bigger screen and easier access to components were 2 reasons why I upgraded.

I wouldn't worry until you get into the 95C+ category. I remember reading a thermal envelope of 105c somewhere, but I cant remember where that came from.

If some other G53 owners can chime in, they may be able to shed some light on their temps to compare. I found an old photo of when I had my G53 apart. You can see where the heatpipes are, which shows that the right side of that keyboard, is going to get hot as thats where the CPU/GPU are located. (This was when I put in an SSD without a drive cage and used part of a nerf dart to secure the drive so it couldn't move around, heh)

Zygomorphic
08-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Nice drive caddy...very economical. :) It is interesting that you did not have a caddy, mine shipped with caddy and screws to put the drive in. The screws were in a plastic baggy, and the caddy was resting inside the computer. The CPU, as I recall, is on the other side. The nVidia GTX560M (GPU) is the only thing under that giant heatsink. That is why when you run the CPU hard, the left-hand side gets warm. Yes, because of the thickness (or not) of the notebook, when the GPU is cranking, the keyboard gets hot. Let me tell you, other system with worse cooling are infinitely worse (you can't rest them on your lap...though that was the purpose of a laptop).

Dragasath
08-04-2012, 02:44 AM
Hi there from Switzerland, i bought my G53SX one week ago and i'm using it as my desktop replacement. So today i finally tested some stress games like Skyrim and also noticed over 75C on both CPU and GPU. I hope this hardware is strong enough to handle for next 3 years atleast.

mikezzz2012
08-04-2012, 05:57 AM
@MrRuckus Thanks for explaining I really appreciate it. Some people say Pasting stuff is good? but Im afraid that If I open my G53SX it might void the warranty .

@Zygomorphic May I ask what do you mean by "caddy"? Mine had screws inside a small plastic but I dont know what its for or where to attach it,can you tell me where please?

@Dragasath You said "So today i finally tested some stress games like Skyrim and also noticed over 75C on both CPU and GPU", Thats also the same as mine man,when I turn on the aricondition in my room that is.

Zygomorphic
08-04-2012, 10:27 AM
"caddy" is the little metal bracket that holds the hard drive in place. The screws in the bag were for the HDD. They screw through the "caddy" into the drive screws on the HDD.

scuk1nho
08-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Hello. I have 2 months old G74SX 91310Z and your temps are OK. From first day to present my temperatures was from 75 to 85 C while playing GPU and CPU demanding games. Everything depends on game. Sometimes my GPU is only 70 but CPU 80+, sometimes GPU 75 but CPU 65+ etc. For example playing ANNO 2070 can make from my laptop volcano (CPU 83/GPU 80) :D

mikezzz2012
08-08-2012, 04:11 PM
I see. Everybody thanks for your replies I appreciate it ;)