PDA

View Full Version : Extremely hot power connector

kwende
08-03-2012, 02:28 PM
I own a G74S and recently - I would say the past couple months - the connector itself (not necessarily the power brick) has been getting INCREDIBLY hot. It's the metal tip of the connector. And when I say hot, I mean scalding. I noticed that when it's doing this the laptop starts to swap back and forth between AC and Battery mode (because of the little graphic that pops up).

In browsing all the posts, I've only found situations where the connector pin has broken off, but that is absolutely not the case here (I have looked and the connector pin is still attached).

The laptop is under warranty, but I'm wondering if this is something known first and whether something simple can be done about it. I'd rather not ship the product off and wait weeks to get it back as I use it for work a lot.

Thanks in advance.

dstrakele
08-03-2012, 03:22 PM
I think you may have a polarity problem with your power adapter as outlined by @breker in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16470-quot-Touchy-quot-Power-Cable-in-my-G-53S&p=112124&viewfull=1#post112124

Gorman
08-03-2012, 05:48 PM
The connector pin may break off soon, when my charger pin became very hot it melted the solder and broke the pin. G74 are not as susceptible to this problem as G53s, so it probably isn't an issue.

Breker's fix should work, and if not just buy another charger.

Next time your RoG goes in for service make sure to mention the heat up, no telling what kind of damage it could do :S

cl-scott
08-03-2012, 06:46 PM
It is your call on whether or not to send it in under warranty, but if you decide to do that, feel free to hit me up every now and then for some updates, or if you run into some unexpected issue with the process.