PDA

View Full Version : Best Asus G75VW Model in USA??

Danieliyo
08-03-2012, 06:52 PM
I want to get a G75VW but I don't know what is the difference between this models. I took a look at this thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14680-The-full-G55VW-G75VW-model-list!&country=&status=

But I'm still confused which is the best G75VW model in the USA. What do you guys recommend me?

Thanks

Zygomorphic
08-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Find your budget, and look at those in that price range. If money is no object, go for a top-of-the-line machine. Unless saving money at all costs is a priority, avoid the BestBuy models, they skimp on the screen (900p instead of everyone else's 1080p) displays.

Danieliyo
08-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Find your budget, and look at those in that price range. If money is no object, go for a top-of-the-line machine. Unless saving money at all costs is a priority, avoid the BestBuy models, they skimp on the screen (900p instead of everyone else's 1080p) displays.

I don't have a budget or price range. I want the best off all. like you said, top of the line machine. so which one would be in top of the line?

jorlanm
08-03-2012, 10:30 PM
that would be the G75Vw-DS73-3D

mrwolf
08-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Is there anyway to check what model my current system is..? lol i have no clue which one i have :s

john_from_ohio
08-03-2012, 11:18 PM
avoid the BestBuy models, they skimp on the screen (900p instead of everyone else's 1080p) displays.

Wrong ... I guess perhaps some of the Best Buys somewhere might have something besides the 1080p displays but nothing like that in this area ...

Zygomorphic
08-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the correction! :) I was indeed wrong, BestBuy no longer skimps...it seems ASUS no longer ships that resolution panel. I distinctly remember the 900p display on the BestBuy models of the G74SX. Thanks again. Second the high-end (expensive) 3D model as being the best.

soulctcher
08-04-2012, 02:36 AM
The best one is the one I have: the G75VW-NS72 from Newegg. It has 16GB ram, a 256GB SDD, and the 3720 processor. 3D just isn't worth it on the main screen...the only thing I could say is that you could make a case for the higher refresh rate capability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230409

Danieliyo
08-04-2012, 03:57 AM
The best one is the one I have: the G75VW-NS72 from Newegg. It has 16GB ram, a 256GB SDD, and the 3720 processor. 3D just isn't worth it on the main screen...the only thing I could say is that you could make a case for the higher refresh rate capability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230409

Yeah I was looking at that one on newegg.com. i don't have that much interest on 3D. So since Im not interested in the 3D one, the second best would me the one from newegg like he said? the G75VW-NS72?

GrandTheftAngel
08-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Yeah Im thinking the same thing and planning on the NS72... The only difference from the NS72 and DS72(other high end model I was considering) seems to be the 3720 processor that I was told runs much hotter and is not all that much better over the 3610... Is this true? Maybe someone who owns a G75VW-NS72 can let me know?

Other then that I think it is better than the 3D model since it has 4more gigs of ram and an SSD... but Im just saying that because the 3D does not appeal all that much to me.

john_from_ohio
08-04-2012, 03:56 PM
I recommend the Best Buy base model ... easy to customize and add an SSD and still stay under prices of other machines.

The difference between 660M and 670M graphics card is negligible. Processor differences between what the base model has and other more expensive options are also pretty insignificant.

Very few people need anything different or will be able to tell differences in day to day usage in my opinion.

About 45 or 50 bucks to add in 8 more gig of RAM to go up to 16 gb. Just a little more to add in a Blue Ray DVD burner if you want/need that.

jorlanm
08-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Well he asked for the top model...the 3D one is the highest it goes...If 3D dont appeal to you Id suggest getting the one with the GTX 660m since its more efficient and runs cooler, better overclocking capability and not to mention better performance on battery...

Zygomorphic
08-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Well he asked for the top model...the 3D one is the highest it goes...If 3D dont appeal to you Id suggest getting the one with the GTX 660m since its more efficient and runs cooler, better overclocking capability and not to mention better performance on battery...

Defintitely a good bit of advice, depends on whether the 670M's slightly increased performance is worth the heat increase and battery life hit (I for one would get the 660M if I were in the market for an ROG machine right now).

I LIKE MY O.C COLD
08-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Excalibur PC has a clear line up of all g75vw models, they list all of them!

here is the link: http://www.excaliberpc.com/products/products.html?ch=&search=g75vw

Zygomorphic
08-04-2012, 06:21 PM

here is the link: http://www.excaliberpc.com/products/products.html?ch=&search=g75vw

Thank you! Excellent link, +1 for finding it. :)

GrandTheftAngel
08-04-2012, 06:42 PM

Not sure they listed them all, looks like they got best buy's version and the DS and RS72 listed only.

They forgot the RS71,
Amazon's G75VW-AS71,
TigerDirect's G75VW-TS72 AND TS71,
BTOTech's G75VW-BT1,
of course newegg's G75VW-NS72....

Upon further research it appears second half of the naming scheme, in all the instances I have seen, refers to the vendor from which you are buying the laptop. G75VW-BBK5 comes from Best Buy, G75VW-BT1 comes from BTOTech, G75VW-TS72 comes from Tiger Direct, and so on, with G75VW-DS being the original model. I have yet to deduce the meaning behind the numbers.

In all likeliness, the base model G75VW is the same. Companies order the laptop from Asus with specific hardware (RAM, hard drive, processor, graphics card). Make sure to check the specifications to see what your vendor has included and what has been left out. For example, while most G75VW come with a hard drive spinning at 7200 RPM, Best Buy elected for a 5400 RPM one. Another example is BTOTECH's model comes with a 7 in 1 card reader as oppose to the 3 in 1 cardreader others have. They are all different so take some time to compare each.

On that note I just order the NS72.... because if what you guys say is true and the 670 will run hotter than the 660 anyways then I guess I shouldn't worry if the cpu will run hotter as well. plus to me after comparing the other models it seemed to have the best stuff for about $140 more than I was going to spend on the DS72 anyway.

GrandTheftAngel
08-04-2012, 07:21 PM

only reason I don't consider the 3D model "top of the line" for me is because of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wONaeMn66uY&feature=plcp

At around 7:30 he talks about how gaming in 3D is not realistic for the machine... So while 120Hz 3D Matte LED screen sounds insanely awesome(for gaming that is) and very Top Notch, it does not interest those of us who don't care about movies... I want a top of the line "Gaming" notebook, since watching 3D movies is the last of my priorities really.

soulctcher
08-04-2012, 07:22 PM
On that note I just order the NS72.... because if what you guys say is true and the 670 will run hotter than the 660 anyways then I guess I shouldn't worry if the cpu will run hotter as well. plus to me after comparing the other models it seemed to have the best stuff for about $140 more than I was going to spend on the DS72 anyway.
Welcome to the club. The cooling isn't an issue. The CPU and video card might run a little hotter, but frankly, the cooling is so good on the laptop design that it doesn't matter. The fact that it has both the SSD and the 7200 rpm HD plus the 16GB of ram already makes it a no-hassle machine. The only thing that I plan on doing is picking up a Killer 1202 card to replace the crappy 1 stream wireless card that's in the machine already, which doesn't even support 5Ghz. (It bums me out because it has a tendency to interfere with the Bluetooth transmission every once in awhile.)

GrandTheftAngel
08-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Welcome to the club. The cooling isn't an issue. The CPU and video card might run a little hotter, but frankly, the cooling is so good on the laptop design that it doesn't matter. The fact that it has both the SSD and the 7200 rpm HD plus the 16GB of ram already makes it a no-hassle machine. The only thing that I plan on doing is picking up a Killer 1202 card to replace the crappy 1 stream wireless card that's in the machine already, which doesn't even support 5Ghz. (It bums me out because it has a tendency to interfere with the Bluetooth transmission every once in awhile.)

Thanks, looking forward to getting it soon(opted for two-day shipping... so hopefully by Tuesday)! Thanks for that bit of info as well. I will be on the look out for a bigfoot networks killer on the cheaps soon then. Hopefully it will not be too difficult to do yourself because Im a super newbie at stuff like that. I also plan on doing a clean install of win7 ultimate as soon as I get it in hopes to not only remove the bloatware but also get rid of those 4 partitioned drives on each HDD I've been hearing about...

john_from_ohio
08-04-2012, 09:34 PM
I will be on the look out for a bigfoot networks killer on the cheaps soon then. Hopefully it will not be too difficult to do yourself because Im a super newbie at stuff like that. I also plan on doing a clean install of win7 ultimate as soon as I get it in hopes to not only remove the bloatware but also get rid of those 4 partitioned drives on each HDD I've been hearing about...

In my opinion ... except for uninstalling the Asus live update ... no real need for clean Win 7 install ... ( unless you really know what you are doing ).

Along with making sure you do not have mcaffee installed ( replacement antivirus and firewall needed asap ) and uninstalling asus live update ... not a whole bunch of bloatware.

Replacing the wireless ... yes possible ... not easy to do for hardware newbs ...

I LIKE MY O.C COLD
08-04-2012, 10:28 PM
xoticpc.com has the best asus g75vw, mostly because you can change anything you want CPU, screen, memory, all " la carte"

soulctcher
08-04-2012, 10:57 PM
xoticpc.com has the best asus g75vw, mostly because you can change anything you want CPU, screen, memory, all " la carte"
But there's more to factor in, such as price and the fact that they void the manufacturer warranty in many cases, (yes, I am aware they have their own warranty).

I LIKE MY O.C COLD
08-04-2012, 11:22 PM
but remember, Danieliyo is looking for the best g75vw in the usa, if money is no object.:)

GrandTheftAngel
08-04-2012, 11:59 PM
I really like xoticpc, but I got to tell you be prepared to wait a long time for your machine! If you plan to order with them just make sure you don't need the machine right away and be prepared to wait upwards a month or more depending on the customization's you chose and even if you buy something stock and wire transfer money they are still very slow processing (Im talking 2 to 3 weeks slow). Again love xotic and plan to do business with them again in the future but just make sure you're in no rush for your system.

GrandTheftAngel
08-05-2012, 12:06 AM
In my opinion ... except for uninstalling the Asus live update ... no real need for clean Win 7 install ... ( unless you really know what you are doing ).

Along with making sure you do not have mcaffee installed ( replacement antivirus and firewall needed asap ) and uninstalling asus live update ... not a whole bunch of bloatware.

Replacing the wireless ... yes possible ... not easy to do for hardware newbs ...

Thanks. glad to hear there is not a lot of bloatware however I might as well re-install the os anyway since I see it comes with Home Premium, and I got extra copies of ultimate lying around here.

I LIKE MY O.C COLD
08-05-2012, 12:19 AM
I really like xoticpc, but I got to tell you be prepared to wait a long time for your machine! If you plan to order with them just make sure you don't need the machine right away and be prepared to wait upwards a month or more depending on the customization's you chose and even if you buy something stock and wire transfer money they are still very slow processing (Im talking 2 to 3 weeks slow). Again love xotic and plan to do business with them again in the future but just make sure you're in no rush for your system.
how long did it take for yours?

GrandTheftAngel
08-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Last ordered something stock to avoid long wait times of customization in hopes to get machine fast. I was told cash payments (by my bank) were instant and although I did receive an email from xotic verifying they received payment instantly, it took two weeks to even process payment move into phase 2 another week for the laptop to ship... also keep in mind that if you order anything on Friday it will not be looked at until the following Monday (even though they send an email saying 24hrs to process, this is not so because xotic is off on weekends). Really nice people though, that seem to really care for their customers I like xotic :)

I LIKE MY O.C COLD
08-05-2012, 12:34 AM
I'll keep that in mind when looking for a new ROG laptop.

Zygomorphic
08-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Definitely keep your positive experiences in mind. xotic sounds like a great place to shop...if you have the money...they like you too...or they like your mney parting from you. :p

GrandTheftAngel
08-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Definitely keep your positive experiences in mind. xotic sounds like a great place to shop...if you have the money...they like you too...or they like your mney parting from you. :p

HAHAHAHA okay okay you've got a point! I just don't like to trash talk good customer service is hard to come by. I swear sometimes I think their only flaw is that they are on the very slooooooooooooow end!

I LIKE MY O.C COLD
08-05-2012, 03:04 AM
patience is a virtue

Danieliyo
08-05-2012, 05:33 AM
I think Im going to get the newegg model one.The G75VW-NS72.You guys agree with my pick?

Zygomorphic
08-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Sounds great, let us know what you think when you get it! :)

Brian_ROG
08-05-2012, 02:41 PM
I think Im going to get the newegg model one.The G75VW-NS72.You guys agree with my pick?

I've had the NS-72 Model for a few months now and i love it. Zero problems and it's really fast.

I LIKE MY O.C COLD
08-05-2012, 03:39 PM
I've had the NS-72 Model for a few months now and i love it. Zero problems and it's really fast.

what is the brand of ssd in your PC?

Danieliyo
08-05-2012, 05:20 PM

When you bought it from newegg.com did you get the backpack that comes with it or just the laptop? how much did you pay for it because right now is at 2,099.99 with a free backpack.

soulctcher
08-05-2012, 06:37 PM
When you bought it from newegg.com did you get the backpack that comes with it or just the laptop? how much did you pay for it because right now is at 2,099.99 with a free backpack.
I know you didn't address this at me, but I'll answer. I got the backpack and mouse with it and they're both awesome. I use this as my everything machine, so I carry it in the backpack every day. I can keep everything with it since it has plenty of extra space too. The mouse is good...being able to adjust the dpi on the fly for some games is really cool.

I LIKE MY O.C COLD
08-05-2012, 06:38 PM
you also get a free $180 airport bag, making that two backpacks.

Zygomorphic
08-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Now that is a deal! I jealous! The ASUS backpacks are apparently pretty nice, I hear. Add that airport bag and its a deal! Sounds like its time to buy! :)

Danieliyo
08-06-2012, 01:20 AM
you also get a free $180 airport bag, making that two backpacks.
The deal that is going on right now is a free Everki Black Titan Checkpoint Friendly Laptop Backpack. Plus, the backpack from Asus that comes with the laptop right? So like you said.That's what you got when you bought it,the same offer at the same price? 2099.99?

I LIKE MY O.C COLD
08-06-2012, 01:50 AM
The deal that is going on right now is a free Everki Black Titan Checkpoint Friendly Laptop Backpack. Plus, the backpack from Asus that comes with the laptop right? So like you said.That's what you got when you bought it,the same offer at the same price? 2099.99?

yeah, one bag with asus, and another bag thrown in by newegg.