PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74SX GPU Crash?

CIarkness
08-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Alright, ocassionally I would experience a GPU freeze ingame and my laptop would crash, forcing me to restart. My stable OC was 880 Core Clock and 1480 Memory Clock. Yesterday however it crashed me during middle of my Starcraft II game. I was using the Beta latest NVidia driver and was wondering if that was why my card crashed me. I have tried out 900 Core Clock and 1500 Memory Clock, but it crashes more often than I thought.. Which left me to wonder, if everyone else could stablely clock at 900/1500 why can't mine? Also I was using MSI afterburner.

The funny thing is, I have been running Furmark for a long period of time and during that time, my game never crash. And from what I noticed, my game only crashed when I am playing Starcraft II.

I am pretty sure my GPU temperature capped is 60 at max, during furmark testing.

Right now I am doing a clean install of latest stable NVidia driver. Also I do have a question, if my card crash during testings, will that eventually damage and weaken the card? (nVidia 560m GTX)

Thanks.

P.s Right now I am running on default without OC to see if the problem proceeds.

MrRuckus
08-03-2012, 07:10 PM
You're running the GPU out of spec at anything over stock. Not all silicon is created equal. Especially when it comes to a laptop where the GPU/CPU share cooling equipment like in our G74 units. I have seen people here report temps in the 60's to the high 80-90c range. If you are in the 60's, I think you're fine on the heat portion. Most likely just a limit of your GPU.

Just for reference, I experienced my first lockup in SC II the other day on my G74. Sometimes the problem can come from something else other then hardware. Especially with a game that is updated on such a regular bases like SC II. It very well could have been something they did in an update.

If you can run furmark without issue, then you're doing fine. Comparing your overclocks to others will give you a good ballpark to shoot for, but you cant expect everyone to be able to hit the same clocks.

CIarkness
08-03-2012, 07:29 PM
You're running the GPU out of spec at anything over stock. Not all silicon is created equal. Especially when it comes to a laptop where the GPU/CPU share cooling equipment like in our G74 units. I have seen people here report temps in the 60's to the high 80-90c range. If you are in the 60's, I think you're fine on the heat portion. Most likely just a limit of your GPU.

Just for reference, I experienced my first lockup in SC II the other day on my G74. Sometimes the problem can come from something else other then hardware. Especially with a game that is updated on such a regular bases like SC II. It very well could have been something they did in an update.

If you can run furmark without issue, then you're doing fine. Comparing your overclocks to others will give you a good ballpark to shoot for, but you cant expect everyone to be able to hit the same clocks.

Thanks, do you think I should stop overclocking my laptop and leave it at default?
Or should I just lower my current "stable" OC down a little bit more so it can truly be stable.

MrRuckus
08-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks, do you think I should stop overclocking my laptop and leave it at default?
Or should I just lower my current "stable" OC down a little bit more so it can truly be stable.

Overclocking is half the fun, haha. Thats all I do is just bump down the clocks 5-10Mhz at a time and stop when its completely stable.

Furmark though is a good test. If you're ok in Furmark but not the game, I would suspect the game as possibly the cause of the lockup (you can try clocking down the GPU to see if it helps at all). So if you're ok in all games except one, then you know the problem is most likely the game. Furmark is meant to push GPU's to their limits, thats its main purpose. While games may push them as well, Furmark is made to do exactly that.