PDA

View Full Version : Joining the Republic (questions about the G75)

DigiOps
08-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Hey all!

Well, I'm all but decided on the G75. I'm pretty excited to finally get a new computer after four (plus) years and even more so to finally have a PC capable of gaming especially with the upcoming release of Fall of Cybertron, Hawken, and many others. :D

As excited as I am, I do still have some questions...

I'm a student (working towards a degree in computer science and becoming a certified programmer) and I have copious amounts of music and movies. I'm always making something new in Blender and I'm hitting the books on various programming languages. I like storage space and lots of it. The model I'm ordering is the G75vw-ts72. As the model number reveals, this particular machine is coming from Tiger Direct and comes with one HDD. I read that older G series laptops that have the two hard drive bays only have one bracket for the pre-installed drive and an add-on has to be purchased in order to install the second hard drive. Is this true for G75s shipped with one hard drive pre-installed? I'd like to order mine at the same time as another 750GB drive. Will I be able to install it on day one or do I need to get anything else to get the hard drive in securely?

My TV's capabilities aren't being fully taken advantage of. I know I can hook it up through HDMI and set Windows to do nothing with the lid closed. How about resolution on a larger TV? Are there any other settings I'll have to fiddle with to get the output looking right on it? Mind you its not a deal breaker or anything if I have to play around with it. :)

As I said before, I'm a student so I'm gonna need a backpack for this bad boy that can also hold my text books comfortably. I've been looking at the shuttle backpack. It's advertised as a 17"-er so the G75 is gonna be a tight fit in the sleeve. With that beast could the backpack still provide ample room for a few text books?

Are there any known issues with the ts72 model? I've already got a few important threads bookmarked so I don't mess up or forget somethings I should do when I finally get it. I just want to know if there's anything else specific to the ts72 I need to do as a preventative measure.

Well, that's it for now. Only a few months until I can make my order. I'm pretty stoked. My last laptop was a sony vaio I got in 2007 which lasted me through the military. The only things wrong with it is age and the backlight. I'm surprised nothing else failed. I still use that hard drive. lol. Its time for an upgrade and I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with hopping on the ROG wagon.

Zygomorphic
08-04-2012, 12:47 AM
My G53SX came with the second HDD bracket already in the computer. The G75 also supports two 2.5" HDDs, so that is not an issue. Whether or not it has the caddy, I don't know. You could PM Marshall@ASUS and ask, or simply order the second HDD after you get the computer and open it up to find out. Newegg has great prices, and their shipping is fast too, so you wouldn't wait more than a few days.

Backpacks for the G75 are really rare, the Everki 18.4" backpacks are among the few. The Targus 17 XL is huge, and will hold an 18.4" Toshiba Qosmio x505. Those are definitely backpacks to consider.

Welcome to the forum!

DigiOps
08-04-2012, 02:17 AM
Ordering the drive after the computer probably would be the better choice. I can't honestly say I'll fill the 750 within the first few days. lol.

I was actually looking at the targus just a few minutes ago. It just might fit the bill. With fall coming up I need to be prepared for rain. I knew I wouldn't see hardly any snow when I moved to california, but I had no idea the rain in the fall and winter in this area would be almost non-stop. I like to take good care of my gadgets. Cell phone excluded. Dropped it a few times out skateboarding... ha ha.

Thanks for that bit of advice and thank you for the welcoming. I'm hoping for mid September to be comfortable enough with my funds. I'm stingy. I like having a solid savings before making big purchases. Especially the way my car's been acting lately. >.< Damn O2 sensor...

Zygomorphic
08-04-2012, 02:23 AM
Glad to see that my advice helps, always good to know that. I have ~1 TB in my laptop, haven't filled even half of it. Great way to go though. I take good care of my toys too. Cell phone is dumb-phone, so only exception...fell out my pocket edge-on onto a 5/8" steel bolt, one little scratch. Any smart-phone would have broken.

Guitarmaker
08-04-2012, 03:26 AM
I don't know about the -ts72, but I think that all G75's with only 1 HDD installed comes with the drive caddy for the secondary drive. I have the BBK5 model and a drive caddy was preinstalled for the secondary drive. Could someone with the -ts72 reply for sure?

xvegan88x
08-06-2012, 03:46 AM
Does anyone know if the screen on the ASUS G75VW-TS72 is 120hz? Is is compatible with nvidia 3dvision?

Thanks

_
08-06-2012, 06:02 AM
Does anyone know if the screen on the ASUS G75VW-TS72 is 120hz? Is is compatible with nvidia 3dvision?

Thanks

No it's not sorry: Display: 17.3" FullHD (1920x1080) Widescreen LED Display with ASUS Splendid Video Intelligent Technology

However the DS73-3D does: http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g75vwds733d-p-4324.html

_
08-06-2012, 06:08 AM
I'm a student (working towards a degree in computer science and becoming a certified programmer) and I have copious amounts of music and movies. I'm always making something new in Blender and I'm hitting the books on various programming languages. I like storage space and lots of it. The model I'm ordering is the G75vw-ts72. As the model number reveals, this particular machine is coming from Tiger Direct and comes with one HDD. I read that older G series laptops that have the two hard drive bays only have one bracket for the pre-installed drive and an add-on has to be purchased in order to install the second hard drive. Is this true for G75s shipped with one hard drive pre-installed? I'd like to order mine at the same time as another 750GB drive. Will I be able to install it on day one or do I need to get anything else to get the hard drive in securely?

Here is the upgrade guide to the G75: http://rog.asus.com/98832012/g-series-laptops/upgrading-the-g75vw/

Considering the spec of the G75-TS72 (http://www.mall-red.com/asus-g75vwts72-270370ghz-i73820qm-32gb-175tb-bluray-3gb-n-p-1644.html) it already has two HDD fitted for 1.75TB of storage. You'll have to remove one to increase the internal storage. You can, however, consider USB 3 or NAS storage options to increase is exponentially.

If you TV's resolution is FullHD, it'll be the same resolution as the G75 - 1920x1080. Any performance on the laptops monitor will therefore be idential on your TV. The physical size makes no difference. You just plug it in via HDMI and enable the 'second display' in the Nvidia control panel (right click on your desktop to see the option). Don't bother with an expensive HDMI cable - they make no difference.

There are a couple of threads on here about backpacks and a few retailers who actually got involved! Click back a few pages. I can't remember their names though sorry.

DigiOps
08-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Wow.... looks like I'd have all bases covered with this machine. :) As far as external storage is concerned, I'd likely pick up a docking station in the future for easy connection to the TV a controller reciever/wireless keyboard and mouse set and some more hard drives. I just wish I could upgrade to 32gb ram myself without voiding the warranty. I know xoticpc could do it, but the same specs on this computer end up about $200 more than at tiger direct. Maybe it's worth it for the added cooling. What do you guys think?

DigiOps
08-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Oh! There is another thing I haven't found any info for yet. Does the G75 have one of those fancy "always on" USB chargers?

This next one isn't really rog specific, but how well do "play and charge" xbox360 cables work on PC? I had one some time ago for certain games I suppose weren't meant for PC... but the computer couldn't charge and take input at the same time, but the wireless receiver worked fine with the charging cable unplugged. Weird, right? I just can't imagine playing Assassin's Creed, Batman, or Psychonauts with keyboard and mouse. Lol.

c_man
08-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Asus USB Charger Plus, one port. If you want to use it on battery you need to set this in BIOS.

Zygomorphic
08-07-2012, 02:08 AM
Oh! There is another thing I haven't found any info for yet. Does the G75 have one of those fancy "always on" USB chargers?
I just can't imagine playing Assassin's Creed, Batman, or Psychonauts with keyboard and mouse. Lol.
No mouse?!?! No keyboard?!?!? Where the WASD go??? My G53SX has arrows marked on the WASD keys to make them easier to see! :) To each his own, I guess...you take the 'Box board, I take the keyboard...and I'll be in Gameland before ye! (Modified old Scottish song...though I'm not Scottish).