PDA

View Full Version : Asus G73JH - Screen Replacement?

jhames
08-05-2012, 07:50 PM
My G73 was overheating after about 10 minutes on a moderate-intensity game. So I decided to replace the thermal paste. It was still overheating, but I noticed that when I limited the FPS in games to 30, the temperature didn't go above 85 Celsius usually. Now my screen is just white from boot with a few lines. Nothing is visible, it's just white... I can still hook it up to an external monitor, so it's not the GPU that's fried right? I notice when I open applications, there's lines roughly where the application should be, so I'm thinking the screen needs to be replaced. I just want to make sure it's the screen and not something else. Also, can I get a better screen (I have a 1600x900 glossy screen, from best buy, could I get a 1920x1080 matte screen, or am I limited to what I already have)? I'll post some pics below, and thanks a bunch!

evga
08-06-2012, 12:47 AM
looks like your gpu is fried .
you can still replace the screen but it will look the same .
im replacing my 1600x900 screen with 1920x1080 matte by chimei ,great screen .

jhames
08-06-2012, 01:14 AM
That's what I'm afraid of, if that's so. Can anyone confirm if the GPU is fried? Remember, when I plug it into a monitor, it works fine, which makes me believe it isn't the GPU. :confused:

evga
08-06-2012, 02:13 AM
it is man , first gpu death symptoms will be laptop screeen display messing out , later it develops due to heat and reaches its max point , THAT IS TOTAL BLANK .
so save your time and replace the vga.

dstrakele
08-06-2012, 07:55 AM
If the laptop display shows a white screen and there are no video issues on the external monitor, a bad LVDS cable connection, bad LVDS cable, or bad laptop display are the most likely causes of the problem.

Fatal1tyBD
08-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Best screen for your G73JH is :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-B173HW01-V5-17-3-LCD-LAPTOP-SCREEN-EXACT-/110747137075?pt=US_Laptop_Screens_LCD_Panels&hash=item19c90b3433&afsrc=1

Fatal1tyBD
08-06-2012, 02:21 PM
it is man , first gpu death symptoms will be laptop screeen display messing out , later it develops due to heat and reaches its max point , THAT IS TOTAL BLANK .
These are some really false info,I think he is trying to sell his GPU to you right?
Same happens over here!

Fatal1tyBD
08-06-2012, 02:22 PM
These are some really false info,I think he is trying to sell his GPU to you right?
Same happens over here!
He tried to do so by PM to me earlier...

jhames
08-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Hmm, looks like I'm replacing the screen then. Do replacement screens usually come with a LDVS cable, or do I have to order that separately? I can't seem to find them.

evga
08-06-2012, 11:38 PM
what ! ? did I send you messages ?
so stupid man , never try to help a creepy Bangladesh guy anymore .
your the epic est guy in the world.
shut up if you dont know the real problem on this thread .

evga
08-06-2012, 11:41 PM
good luck with it ,
when the results turn , you will be looking for me , in asking what gpu to buy , almost 50 people said that they replace the lcd and still same.
so the same with you .
before you changing the lcd try replacing the lvds cable.

xeromist
08-07-2012, 06:37 AM
Before purchasing anything make sure to first try reseating the display cable. While you are at it make sure to inspect the cable and contacts for physical damage. If you still don't get anything then I would agree that the display seems the most likely culprit. You don't get a perfect external display and a fuzzy internal display from a fried GPU.

On another note, ASUS does not allow sales on this forum and is not responsible for deals gone bad if people attempt to circumvent this rule. Use Ebay or a reputable business as you have absolutely no protection against fraud here. I'm not confirming or denying the earlier accusation as I don't read your PM's but it bears repeating in general since the subject has come up again. Thanks all for your understanding.

jhames
08-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Thank for your the professional answer xeromist. I did try resetting the RMA cable, but the internal display was still messed up. I guess it's time to order a screen then. Thanks all. :o

evga
08-07-2012, 03:14 PM
before that , if you have a core 2 duo or newer model laptops , try removing that lcd and connect it to g73 , the socket's are same so worth a test before purchase , before you experience this issue , did you screen start to flicker or black out ?
thanks