PDA

View Full Version : Brand New G75VW crashes, freezes, shortcuts don't work. HELP

skysimone
08-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Hello..
Last week I bought this computer from Best Buy.
It is riddled with problems.
I am a video editor from Australia and travelling the USA and I bought this computer in Florida last week.
I am now in San Diego and I fly home to Australia on Saturday.. we do not have 'best buy' in Australia for me to be able to sort it out when I get home.

I do not know if ASUS made all of this model faulty, or not.. but here are my problems

All I have installed on this machine so far is Photoshop.. (real photoshop.. I am a professional photographer and videographer from australia)

This computer freezes non stop. Internet Explorer seems to freeze constantly. I can't update a status on facebook or open an email from yahoo without IE freezing.. I know a lot of people dislike IE but I have NEVER had this occur.. especially with a new computer!

Every time the computer goes to sleep, when I turn it on again it freezes..
You know the black screen where the little balls fly around and then form the windows sign?
Well it just freezes with the little balls on screen before the windows sign will appear.. Hard reset.. holding the on and off button is the only solution, and when the computer comes back on it gives me the option to 'delete restoration data' and that is the only way to get the computer to turn back on..

This means that ALL of my unsaved work and ALL of my internet browsing is lost.
My old 3 year old laptop has NEVER had any issues like this.

As a photographer CONTROL + AND CONTROL - to enlarge and shrink windows thumbnails is a crucial shortcut for my workflow.. and these shortcuts are not working

Control C V / cut / paste / P do not work either.
Also if I am typing something out, and go to copy the information to notepad or something else, and then go back to another webpage - a) CLIPBOARD WILL NOT RETAIN WHAT I COPY... B) explorer will crash...

I do not know what to do?
Is there a fix to download?
I found hundreds of comments in google about this laptop being a disaster!
I bought this laptop because I was told by many that it was the top of the line video editing machine/ top of the line PC laptop available in the current market

Looks like I've wasted money on a nightmare.. My 3 year old laptop is more useful at this point :(
HELP!

Sky

Shawnnepc
08-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Hey Sky,

Welcome to the ASUS ROG Community!

What model G75 do you have?

Have you tried un-installing the pre-loaded McAfee Anti-virus?

c_man
08-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Damn, it's a hot spot for you. Can you by any chance download and boot live from a Linux distro? To see if the problems are still there and if this is a hardware failure.

I have tried a buch of G75 and none had this problems. Not a single one. BUT and this is a big BUT, I did a clean install on all of them.

What you can do is to remove stuff, starting with Antivirus, Asus live update, search for latest driver and update them and see how that goes.

skysimone
08-07-2012, 04:09 PM
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G75VW 1.0
that is all the information I have

cl-scott
08-07-2012, 04:10 PM
You should be able to return or exchange the unit at a Best Buy in San Diego. You may also want to take into consideration that units sold at Best Buy do not have a global warranty, so if you had issues during the warranty period, it would have to be shipped to the US to avoid charges for the repair work.

skysimone
08-07-2012, 05:05 PM
This is a nightmare.. No I don't know anything about other operating systems like Linux.

a friend sent me this link and suggested I try updating the bios.
I unzipped the file but it's a weird file I can't use.. I don't know how to install it..

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/#download

Cecil_2099
08-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Unzip the file to a blank thumb drive. Boot to the BIOS, and use the EZ Flash utility within the BIOS.

But anyway, I have a Best Buy G75 (G75VW-BBK5) and don't have any of the problems you speak of, so it sounds like you have a faulty unit. Since you're on a time crunch, you can (and probably should) return the unit to a Best Buy in San Diego and get a replacement if you want, or buy it locally or online when you get back to Australia so you have a better warranty.

Shawnnepc
08-07-2012, 10:54 PM
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G75VW 1.0
that is all the information I have

The model # is located on the sticker to the right of the touch pad. It is also on the bottom of your laptop under the bar code

skysimone
08-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi everyone
A friend got me to install the following bios update.. it helped the other issues..
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/#downloadok

BUT I still have the following issue.. if the computer goes to sleep.. I press space bar and it comes back on.. = yay!
But I fell asleep at 2am.. with my computer on.. I am self employed so this is normal for me to run my computers 24/7.. and wake them up when I wake up.. All the lights at 8am were off.. and space bar wouldn't make it go back on.. I pressed the on button.. and the screen that has the little balls that swirl around before forming the 'windows' logo.. just froze with the little balls mid screen.. then after a while the following message...

"asus g75vw the last attempt to resume the system from its previous location failed. attempt to resume again?"
and I had to hard reset.. losing all of my work and web pages that I was doing/reading.

I googled the issue.. (copy and paste the line in " " above and you will see in google the results.. )
Other people have had this issue.. there must be a fix....

Somebody in this thread on this other forum wrote about issues recovering from hibernation with this model.. Why can't an ASUS tech come and help in this forum if that is the case...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16543-G75VW-Random-Reboot/page3
QUOTE FROM THIS LINK "If you're encountering problems Resuming from Hibernation, try recreating the HIBERFIL.SYS file where Windows stores the memory image of your system when it hibernates.

Launch a Command Prompt by right-clicking on its icon and choosing "Run as Administrator" from the popup menu. Then enter the command: powercfg -h off

This will disable Hibernation and you can now delete C:\hiberfil.sys.

Turn Hibernation back on with the command: powercfg -h on
and a new hiberfil.sys file will be created (that hopefully will resolve your "Resume from Hibernation" issues)."

Not sure how to go about that..

If you type 'g75vw will not resume from hibernation' many threads show up
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=asus+g75vw+will+not+recover+after+hibernation&oq=asus+g75vw+will+not+recover+after+hibernation&gs_l=hp.3...121711.131775.1.131980.75.34.0.0.0.12. 695.8293.0j7j2j2j5j6.22.0...0.1...1c.nSqpmZpraUY&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=6fc2be3d81197ff1&biw=1782&bih=860

skysimone
08-09-2012, 06:01 PM
The model # is located on the sticker to the right of the touch pad. It is also on the bottom of your laptop under the bar code

There is no sticker to the right of the pad.. and the only stickers to the left are
Win7
intel core i7
energy star
nad nvidia geforce gtx 2gb

On the underbelly it says
BBk5

tried adding picture but it didn't work so here.. you can see that the command line in command prompt is not working
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150987617727544&set=a.10150987617557544.413116.702452543&type=3&theater

mrwolf
08-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Did u install any updates though the asus update utility?

Nimroc
08-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Ok guys I just got G75VW from Bestbuy after reading some reviews and doing some research. It seemed like a nice machine for the price. Well I runs BF3 really smooth but I keep getting random reboots. I have had the machine since Aug 4th and it has rebooted like 20x atleast. Any suggestions before I bring it back to Bestbuy. I was thinking about switching out the slow 5400 rpm hard drive and add a faster one for my mine drive also.

Thanks

c_man
08-09-2012, 06:28 PM
What I always say, boot in Linux, use it from there, see what happens. If you get a restart from a Live session, then it's hardware. It's hard to pinpoint a hardware problem. You could try running memtest, prime, furmark, check hdd.

Ami Yuy
08-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Ok guys I just got G75VW from Bestbuy after reading some reviews and doing some research. It seemed like a nice machine for the price. Well I runs BF3 really smooth but I keep getting random reboots. I have had the machine since Aug 4th and it has rebooted like 20x atleast. Any suggestions before I bring it back to Bestbuy. I was thinking about switching out the slow 5400 rpm hard drive and add a faster one for my mine drive also.

Thanks
Hi Nimroc,
As you can see from this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16543-G75VW-Random-Reboot) you are not alone. The solution I found was to fully disable Hibernation so that it could never be used on my laptop and it has solved the problem.

To disable Hibernation:
1) Launch Command Prompt (Start > type "cmd" in the search bar)
2) Then enter the command: powercfg.exe /hibernate off

(To re-enable or try to make Hibernation work, there are more steps here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20093-Brand-New-G75VW-crashes-freezes-shortcuts-don-t-work.-HELP&p=140008&posted=1#post140008) and here (http://www.ehow.com/how_8192676_turn-off-windows-7-hibernation.html).)

You don't have to disable Hibernation in the command prompt in order to not use it (although it will gain you some space back on the hard drive if you can get it to work).

If you change your power settings to either Sleep or just Nothing that will keep it from happening as long as you don't tell it to do that yourself:
1) Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options
2) Choose the radio button next to "High Performance" in order to activate
3) Choose " Change plan settings"
4) Make sure everything in the + menus is either set to Sleep/Do nothing/Never and that Hibernate is not chosen in any of the locations.

As long as you NEVER Hibernate the random reboots should not be a problem. I shut down my computer every night when I'm done and then just re-start it in the mornings because of how fast the Solid State drive runs. I don't know that I've ever used Sleep after discovering the problem with Hibernation though, so I cannot guarantee that that works better. However, I have also never had any random reboots since I disabled and stopped using Hibernate.

c_man
08-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Strange problem with a strange fix, but if it works ...

skysimone
08-09-2012, 08:00 PM

HEY HEY!
I am having trouble with the instructions you gave
please look at this image.. the command line doesn't work
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150987617727544&set=a.10150987617557544.413116.702452543&type=3&theater

Ami Yuy
08-09-2012, 08:06 PM

HEY HEY!
I am having trouble with the instructions you gave
please look at this image.. the command line doesn't work
That is actually the correct behavior, skysimone, it confused me at first too. When you go to the Start menu and click the arrow next to "Shut Down" is Hibernate still included in the list? It should not be.

skysimone
08-09-2012, 08:07 PM
I think you are writing the command wrong.
that command you are giving is invalid..
google says

Type "powercfg.exe /hibernate off" to the right of the command prompt, then press "Enter." Hibernation will no longer be an option in the Windows 7 Shutdown menu.

Read more: How to Turn Off the Windows 7 Hibernation | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_8192676_turn-off-windows-7-hibernation.html#ixzz2357B9p1E

GRRR
NEITHER COMMAND are giving confirmation of action.
How do I check that hibernate is disabled?

I have done everything right so far but no confirmation if the disabling worked.............

Ami Yuy
08-09-2012, 08:11 PM
I think you are writing the command wrong.
that command you are giving is invalid..
google says

Type "powercfg.exe /hibernate off" to the right of the command prompt, then press "Enter." Hibernation will no longer be an option in the Windows 7 Shutdown menu.

Read more: How to Turn Off the Windows 7 Hibernation | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_8192676_turn-off-windows-7-hibernation.html#ixzz2357B9p1E
Well then there you go, I didn't do my homework and look it up again myself, but copied from the directions in the other thread. It still does not give you an visual output in the Command Prompt window though when the operation is successful, the only way to check if it worked is to look in the Start menu.

GRRR
NEITHER COMMAND are giving confirmation of action.
How do I check that hibernate is disabled?

I have done everything right so far but no confirmation if the disabling worked.............
There is no confirmation given, you have to check the Start Menu to see if Hibernate is still included in the list or not.

skysimone
08-09-2012, 08:39 PM
I have a problem with your fix.

When I turn hibernation off.. via the command line powercfg -h off
or
powercfg.exe /hibernate off
the hibernate system file disappears from the C directory...
When i turn it on again I am unable to delete it..

How did you do this? You say to turn it off.. delete it, and turn it on..
when I turn it off.. I can't delete it as it disappears..............

skysimone
08-09-2012, 08:39 PM

or

Please help as i have wasted 3 days trying to fix it and really appreciate your time :(

In the meantime anyone wanting to test their hibernation mode can do so by enabling hibernate and then running http://www.passmark.com/products/sleeper.htm application to force hibernation.. I did this to double check it was still crashing!

This website explains what you just explained.. but it won't let me delete the file :(
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/what-is-hiberfil.sys-and-how-do-i-delete-it/

I have already tried the following..
1) disabled hibernation via command prompt
2) ran 'sleeper' to confirm hibernation was gone and test performance
3) confirmed hiberfil.sys was gone from C
4) enabled hibernation via command prompt
5) confirmed that a hiberfil.sys is now visible in C drive
6) ran 'sleeper' to test performance and sure enough the problem is back.. will not recover from hibernating

-This is basially what you instructed us to do.. except you said we could delete the .sys file from C, however as per my above post that was not possible...

Ami Yuy
08-09-2012, 08:48 PM

or

Please help as i have wasted 3 days trying to fix it and really appreciate your time :(

In the meantime anyone wanting to test their hibernation mode can do so by enabling hibernate and then running http://www.passmark.com/products/sleeper.htm application to force hibernation.. I did this to double check it was still crashing!

This website explains what you just explained.. but it won't let me delete the file :(
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/what-is-hiberfil.sys-and-how-do-i-delete-it/
That sounds like the system is deleting the file for you.

I simply turned mine off and do not use it at all, the best solution is probably simply to use Sleep or to Shut Down your computer instead of trying to fix Hibernate. You do not need to follow those other steps to disable it, just run the off command.

(Those other directions you are referring to are not mine and I have not done them, I have only ever used the off and on commands in Command Prompt.)

skysimone
08-09-2012, 10:00 PM
The person who posted the fix said
'disable hibernate'
THEN delete the hibernate .sys file
then re enable hibernate
and it will work

However I cannot delete the file.. I can only turn off hybernate.. turning it back on uses the same hibernate sys file

The person who posted that fix has not replied yet..
the latest person is suggesting to simply turn hibrenate off.. and leave it off.. rather than wanting a fix for the hibernate issue

should i take it back to best buy??
Help

Shawnnepc
08-09-2012, 10:28 PM
The person who posted the fix said
'disable hibernate'
THEN delete the hibernate .sys file
then re enable hibernate
and it will work

However I cannot delete the file.. I can only turn off hybernate.. turning it back on uses the same hibernate sys file

The person who posted that fix has not replied yet..
the latest person is suggesting to simply turn hibrenate off.. and leave it off.. rather than wanting a fix for the hibernate issue

should i take it back to best buy??
Help

It's a Windows issue not hardware.

I strongly recommend NEVER using hibernate with ANY computer.

Also in regards to the above fix...

Disable hibernate

Reboot

Delete the .sys file

Reboot

Re-enable hibernate

Reboot

skysimone
08-09-2012, 10:32 PM
I will try that latest comment now.. back in 5 minutes..

skysimone
08-09-2012, 10:39 PM
You cannot delete hiberfil.sys
"the action can't be compelted becuase the file is open in another program'

Shawnnepc
08-09-2012, 10:42 PM
You cannot delete hiberfil.sys
"the action can't be compelted becuase the file is open in another program'

Well that's interesting.

Depending on how comfortable you are.. I can remote in to your PC and try and resolve this or you can wait for more advice from the ASUS forums.

skysimone
08-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I am happy for you to remote.. All i have on here is hundreds of gigs of photographs! (I'm a photographer)
hit me up on facebook
www.facebook.com/skybrady
I have to go out shortly though..

skysimone
08-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Just don't use hibernate.. on a brand new computer that freezes and will not recover when you hibernate is not an ok answer to me.

It's like saying 'if your new car won't use 3rd gear.. just don't use 3rd gear'
I paid for a product to work. and I want a product that works
Sadly I have just lost 300 gig of crucial data.. I'm a photographer and all of my photos from the last 6 weeks are gone.. because last night just before I was about to remove everything onto an external drive, this computer put itself in hibernate and would not recover.

Best buy want me to pay $150 to attempt to recover.. some computer stores sound more promising and cheaper for data recovery.

This computer is a nightmare. to anyone else who has issues.. please return to the store.. do not waste your time trying to fix.. and lose all your data.. and important days from your life like me.

ASUS.. THIS IS SHAMEFUL

Nimroc
08-11-2012, 03:00 AM
Ok so I am trying to use the cmd promt and it now tells me I dont have permission to disable or enable hibernate. I am set up as Admin so wth, really weird.

Shawnnepc
08-11-2012, 04:41 AM
Hi Sky,

I'd like to point out a few things for you:

I contacted you on Facebook as requested. (Look at your friend requests)

Hibernate is a WINDOWS feature. There is no hardware that controls hibernate.

The only software that ASUS has that would POSSIBLY cause issues with hibernation is the Power4Gear utility.

Moreover, the correlation between hibernation and '300GB of lost data' has not been established. It's doubtful that your data is missing or destroyed.

In the event that there was data loss, it would be very easy to recover, as long as the missing data hasn't been overwritten.

You have to understand how hibernation works and why we recommend turning it off.

Hibernation saves the current state of your RAM to your hard drive.

Why is this bad?

Let's say you have a number of documents open and you hibernate your computer.

Sadly you forgot to charge your battery and your laptop fully discharged. Very often this will cause data corruption.

When you then boot your computer after plugging it it, that corrupted OS state will load of your computer and can cause a number of problems.

ANY problems that occur while using hibernate increases the chances of data loss drastically.

I ALWAYS recommend for my customer to disable Hibernate. Or at the very least if they insist on using it, ensure that ALL programs are closed before putting the unit into hibernation.

"It's like saying 'if your new car won't use 3rd gear.. just don't use 3rd gear'"

If your car had a feature that is well documented to cause issues, would you still use that feature?

Hibernation is Russian roulette.

The number of service repairs I have had to make over the years due to failed wake-up states due to hibernation is staggering.

Microsoft is aware of the issue, but the concept behind hibernation itself is flawed

Just don't use hibernate.. on a brand new computer that freezes and will not recover when you hibernate is not an ok answer to me.

It's like saying 'if your new car won't use 3rd gear.. just don't use 3rd gear'
I paid for a product to work. and I want a product that works
Sadly I have just lost 300 gig of crucial data.. I'm a photographer and all of my photos from the last 6 weeks are gone.. because last night just before I was about to remove everything onto an external drive, this computer put itself in hibernate and would not recover.

Best buy want me to pay $150 to attempt to recover.. some computer stores sound more promising and cheaper for data recovery.

This computer is a nightmare. to anyone else who has issues.. please return to the store.. do not waste your time trying to fix.. and lose all your data.. and important days from your life like me.

ASUS.. THIS IS SHAMEFUL

Nimroc
08-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Ok got hibernate disabled and all is good, no random crashes in 2 days, thanks for the assistance.

c_man
08-12-2012, 08:20 PM
This could be just OS related. My clean install with W7 Ultimate x64 has no problems with Hibernation or any crashes. And this is not my first G75, but all had the same software, nothing from Asus factory.

Techinstein
08-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Sense you got it Best Buy, didn't ypu get the Geek Squad protection? If so see if they can help. Or use the ASUS one-year warrenty and get it replaced if its liable for it.

McRom37
05-19-2017, 03:21 AM
Hey Sky,

Welcome to the ASUS ROG Community!

What model G75 do you have?

Have you tried un-installing the pre-loaded McAfee Anti-virus?

From:McRom37,i to have Asus G75Vw.207 i7@2.30GHz 12.00GB Ram NVIDIA GTX 670M....And it runs sluggish,laggy,slow.for it being a gaming laptop.thoght they where up for the task in video editing.i encountered the bad performance on Adobe After Effects Element 3D..apone other sites it takes its time to open browsers..is there an upgrad i can do to it??? i took off Mcfee antivirus off first thing.im not a big fan of them things just malware byte and ccleaner.