dboundary
08-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Hi guys,

I got G75VW from NCIX about a week/two weeks ago. It's got

8 GB of RAM
750 GB of HDD
Intel Core i7-3610QM, 2.3GHz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 670M, 3 GB

After I got my hands on the machine, and after I burned 4 recovery disks, I immediately erased all the partitions and did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits. I then install the drivers using the drivers disks that comes with this laptop. Fortunately, most drivers, except the graphics (it's the latest version on ASUS's website, but there's a newer beta driver on Nvidia), are up to date.

Like many others on the forum, I've experienced most problems that people have with this machine: keys on the keyboard sometimes don't register (and it's not because some specific keys are brokn, it's the whole keyboard. Might be because the keyboard is too new and the keys are too tight), sound com out of subwoofer even if a pair of headphones is plugged in, and the most annoying one, Nvidia driver keeps on crashing.

I can live with the keyboard and subwoofer problems because when keys don't register I'll just type it again, and when the subwoofer plays sound I'll just drag the volume for it down to the bottom. BUT, the graphics card is driving me crazy!!!!

Several problems with the graphics card:

1. Sometimes my screen goes black and comes back, and there's a small bubble popup on the bottom which tells me that the video driver crashed and successfully recovered.

2. Some other times my screen goes black, comes back and flickers for a few seconds, and a dialog prompts up telling me opengl crashed.

3. Most annoying problem, the whole system freezes randomly!! At first I can only move my mouse, then I'd go crazy and start clicking around, and my mouse freezes, too. I've tried all the solutions that worked for other people, and the problem is still there. I used to have an external monitor plugged in, and unplugging it seems to make the freezing less frequent, now I realize it's just nonsense, maybe a coincidence. The machine freezes up whether I have an external monitor plugged in or not. And most of the time it freezes when I browse the web (using Chrome)! Sometimes it freezes when I chat on Skype, and other times it freezes when I use Word. I don't use the laptop to play games, but I'm sure a Word session or a webpage is less graphics intensive than a game!!! I do have Photoshop and Illustrator installed, and I get much less crashes with those programs than a web browser.

4. Those problems occurred when I was using ASUS's latest graphics driver. As I uninstalled the ASUS driver and installed Nvidia's official beta driver 304.79, the first two problems seemed to disappear, but it's still freezing up frequently. According to SpeedFan, my GPU temp is always around 40 - 50 Celsius. 50 degrees when I watch 1080p videos, but usually it stays around 40-45 degrees when I'm doing nothing! Nothing at all!

Now my question is, is there any REAL fix for this, yet? I really don't want to return it and do an exchange or anything I bought this laptop to SAVE MY TIME, not to waste it. I don't wanna exchange for a new one and go through all the installations of the OS and programs only to find out a new set of problems.

If, however, there's no fix for these problems, should I return this and get a laptop from some other brands to save me the trouble?

Thanks a lot.

P.S. Below are the screenshots for the problem 1 and 2.

http://i.imgur.com/j3ycK.png

http://i.imgur.com/IKu4c.png

EDIT:

I think the Windows 7 Ultimate image I used doesn't include SP1, but SP1 is installed later through Windows Update. I don't know if that makes a difference because I saw on other threads that only disks that include SP1 will work on G75

Destroyer99
08-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Try using this guide http://forums.pctweakers.net/showthread.php/129-ASUS-G75VW-Clean-Install-Guide and installing windows again and install drivers the same way it says in the the guide. Not sure if drivers are out of date in the guide if so get it from the asus site.

For the video card, 40-45C seems normal. The 670m card does run hotter than the 660m. I have the same card as you and idle around 40-50 usually in the mid 40s. Get Furmark and run the 15 test and if you get over 90C then you should worry.

Worse comes to worse you can exchange/return it.

c_man
08-07-2012, 06:58 PM
For some unknow reason the Asus GPU driver did not work on any G75 670M I had. I always used a modded one.

The GPU temp is normal.

dboundary
08-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Try using this guide http://forums.pctweakers.net/showthread.php/129-ASUS-G75VW-Clean-Install-Guide and installing windows again and install drivers the same way it says in the the guide. Not sure if drivers are out of date in the guide if so get it from the asus site.

For the video card, 40-45C seems normal. The 670m card does run hotter than the 660m. I have the same card as you and idle around 40-50 usually in the mid 40s. Get Furmark and run the 15 test and if you get over 90C then you should worry.

Worse comes to worse you can exchange/return it.

Would it be my fault if Furmark causes some hardware failure? Which voids the warrenty? I have no experience in this at all, so the picture of a graphics card burned by Furmark on Furmark's website scared me off.

Btw, sometimes the space bar and some other keys don't register. Is it a hardware problem or a driver issue?

dboundary
08-07-2012, 07:49 PM
For some unknow reason the Asus GPU driver did not work on any G75 670M I had. I always used a modded one.

The GPU temp is normal.

What do you mean by a modded one? You write your own drivers?

c_man
08-07-2012, 07:53 PM
I got this http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/win8x64/304.79

You need to use that modified INF.

You press the space bar in a normal way and nothing? I don't think it's OK.

Long runs with Furmark will damage the GPU.

dboundary
08-07-2012, 08:02 PM
I got this http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/win8x64/304.79

You need to use that modified INF.

You press the space bar in a normal way and nothing? I don't think it's OK.

Thanks for your reply. I can live with the keyboard issue. I would just type the character again when it's not registered.

Btw, I didn't use any partition tools. I just used the advanced options in the Windows 7 installation. I don't know if that's causing any problems.

EDIT: Why do you need a modified INF? According to LaptopVideo2Go.com, the INF is for unclocking hidden settings only.

c_man
08-07-2012, 08:24 PM
OC and other stuff if needed.

dboundary
08-07-2012, 08:27 PM
OC and other stuff if needed.

Honestly, I don't care about overclocking right now, albeit I thought it's automatically done. All I wanted is to get rid of the freezing problem.

c_man
08-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Just try it and see what happens. I had it on several G75 and all were OK.

dboundary
08-07-2012, 10:30 PM

Thank. OK, I'll try that. So should I uninstall the drivers from both the device manager and Programs and Features, and turn off Windows Update before uninstalling the video drivers?

dboundary
08-07-2012, 10:34 PM

Thanks, I'll try that. But should I turn off Windows Update before uninstalling the current drivers? Just so Windows don't try to install its own drivers.

If this doesn't work, then I will probably have to follow Destroyer99's suggestions and reinstall Windows and all the drivers...

dboundary
08-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Thanks, c_man! I think it's working now, but I'm not a hundred percent sure of it. I've done some "tests" by running some applications that usually have a high chance of causing the machine to freeze up, and the "test result" is pretty good. I think I've got the graphics card issue taken care of! However, it sometimes lags. Like when I'm watching a youtube video at 360p and launch skype, the audio would crack and the video would pause for a second, until skype is fully launched. I'll try tweaking the paging file see if it makes a difference. Cuz I really don't think 8 gigs of ram would have a problem of handling such a simple task.

Thanks, again! And thank you Destroyer99 for your suggestion, too!

EDIT: Just as I was about to submit this reply, the whole machine froze up.... wtf?!?!?!?! I thought I got it fixed!! I guess I'll try some other drivers from LaptopVideo2Go.com and see if that helps... if not, then there must be some other reason than the graphics card is causing the freeze, although I'm 80% positive that it's because of the graphics card.

_
08-08-2012, 01:38 AM
Reads as though you've got a defective GPU.

dboundary
08-08-2012, 01:58 AM
Reads as though you've got a defective GPU.

I don't even know. It might be possible that the freezing problem is caused by something else other than the graphics card, but most people who encounter this problem has fixed it by doing something with the graphics card.

EDIT: Just ran Furmark for 15 minutes and the max temp it gets to is 75 degrees. I guess that's a good sign.

UltimaRage
08-08-2012, 04:43 AM

How is this possible if the GPU stays in safe temperature ranges?

c_man
08-08-2012, 09:05 AM
My friend that works in a service knows more and has no reason to lie. This is beyond my tech skills. What I can tell you is that the stress level is way beyond what games do.

About the problem at hand here, have you tried to remove the Antivirus? Even the GPU driver to use the generic one? You might have a hardware problem, but then again a lot of people had problems with AV and GPU drivers. Like I've said before, on G75 no GPU driver from Asus worked properly for me on any laptop. I'm nor sure what the problem was. On G55 I had no problems with Asus drivers.

_
08-08-2012, 09:25 AM
How is this possible if the GPU stays in safe temperature ranges?

GPUs are designed to be used with varying loads or bursts, which is typical in games. This small effect can help spread heat and power use to give (neighboring) transistors a break. Furmark maxes every part continuously, which can exacerbate weaknesses. I doubt OpenCL apps have the same level of utilization too due to overheads.

cntmrc
08-08-2012, 09:31 AM
I also have a new Asus G75. I have the orginal system settings and I have the same exact error.
Randomly (but often after login) I see a short screen freeze and then this message appears:

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 296.44 stopped
responding and has successfully recovered.

I've tried something in this (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19996-Display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered&p=138275#post138275) thread, without any sucess...

Destroyer99
08-08-2012, 05:35 PM
I had a problem like that where it would say Display driver stopped responding and has recovered on my Desktop it had a ATI card instead though. But i fixed it by uninstalling the driver, rebooting in safe mode and using driver sweeper to remove the left overs, then reboot again in regular mode and installed the latest drivers and it worked fine after.

dboundary
08-08-2012, 06:07 PM
I think the problem's no longer there, or should I say it's not yet coming back again. Weird thing is, I downloaded Sniper Ghost Warroir and played 3 hours straight on the highest settings; the graphics look crisp and smooth, and the machine didn't crash. On a side note, I realize that most of the time when the computer crashed, Skype is open, so maybe it's some settings Skype has for nvidia that caused the crash? Again, I don't wanna conclude too early, but that's just something I found out.

EDIT: BTW, I'm not using the drive ASUS provided. I'm using the driver c_man suggested, which is the beta 304.79 with modded INF. Thanks again, c_man. I've not yet encountered any crash again after the first and only crash I had after installing the new driver (again, with Skype open).

c_man
08-08-2012, 06:31 PM
I never use Skype, so I cannot say anything about that. Maybe some other guys that do will tell you if they have problems or not.

Don't mention it!

cntmrc
08-08-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm actually using the 304.79 driver for my Nvidia 670M graphics card.
How to apply the modified inf file? What it does?

Just in case, how to do a clean fresh driver re-install? Why it is necessary to boot in safe mode?

c_man
08-08-2012, 07:17 PM
You can uninstall, restart, install the new driver, restart.

Just copy and replace that INF in Display.Driver folder before install and that is it.

Modified INF supplied here are for unlocking hidden pages and settings only

dboundary
08-09-2012, 12:44 AM
OK, this is driving me crazy:mad:. Just 5 minutes ago, the machine froze again. This time, like last time (the "first and only" crash after the new driver), the mouse is frozen along with the other things. So it's like a complete freeze, and it happened in an instant; no warnings, no nothing, it just happened like that. And this time, all I have running is a web browser, and the terminal. That's all! No skype or anything. I thought the problem is not coming back again, but annoyingly it came back! Can anyone please help me at least identify what the cause is? Thanks a lot.

c_man
08-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Download Ubuntu or Mint or some other Linux, burn it on a DVD and boot from that with Live. And use your computer for a while to see what is what.

Or make a back-up of your data now, recovery discs. Download Windows from internet (any legal copy with trial just for testing) and do a clean install and see how it works with this, first without driver (except LAN/WAN). More info here http://forums.pctweakers.net/showthread.php/129-ASUS-G75VW-Clean-Install-Guide

You need to rule out hardware problem fast.

dboundary
08-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Download Ubuntu or Mint or some other Linux, burn it on a DVD and boot from that with Live. And use your computer for a while to see what is what.

Or make a back-up of your data now, recovery discs. Download Windows from internet (any legal copy with trial just for testing) and do a clean install and see how it works with this, first without driver (except LAN/WAN). More info here http://forums.pctweakers.net/showthread.php/129-ASUS-G75VW-Clean-Install-Guide

You need to rule out hardware problem fast.

Should I use the one with SP1, if I were to reinstall Windows 7?

c_man
08-10-2012, 07:17 AM
You should use only SP1.

dboundary
08-10-2012, 06:24 PM
You should use only SP1.

I was trying to install a new Windows 7 with SP1 on a second partition so I don't have to worry about backing up my current installation, but it appears that I can't because "Windows cannot be installed to this partition. The selected partition is of the GPT partition style". Is there a way around this without format the whole disk?

If, however, it is not possible to install it this way, which backup option should I choose to use? Is there a software where I can view the contents in the backup files after its done backing up?

Thanks

EDIT: nvm, I got it working now.