PDA

View Full Version : Can Xonar Phoebus upscale 5.1 games to 7.1? I'm having issues with Razer Tiamat

thetruth1983
08-07-2012, 10:34 PM
I read in another thread that the Phoebus will not upmix 5.1 audio to 7.1. I thought that was a typo since this is a gaming card and the Dolby home theater v4 page says "creates 7.1 sound from 5.1 channel input". I have a PC360 and I also just got the Razer Tiamat which is a 7.1 headset. The Razer Tiamat is a 7.1 analog headset that doesn't use any software or drivers. I tested the headset in battlefield 3 and I muted al of the channels to test each one individually.

What I found was that I could not get sound to come out of the "side" speakers no matter what I did. I cycled through all of the BF3 sound options (war tapes, headphones, hifi, and home cinema) as well as all of the Dolby/Xear settings. I also enabled the surround max feature and I still only got 5.1 sound. I also tried L4D2 as well as TF2 since I know both of those games natively support 7.1 sound. To my surprise, I still didn't get any audio from the side speakers. Strangely, I am able to get audio from the side speakers in TF2 during the opening when it shows the Valve logo. Adjusting options in all of the software did not change this.

Am I doing something wrong? I have my speaker setup as 7.1 in the Xonar software. I know all the speakers work since I am able to get the test tones from all of them. If it is currently not possible to upmix sound to 7.1, will this be added in the near future. Lastly, I would appreciate if someone has a 7.1 setup or the Tiamat to test to see if your results are the same. That way, I won't feel like I'm going crazy. Thanks!

cutbuter4fmg
08-08-2012, 03:33 AM
I had Tiamat for 4 days. I tweaked everything single setting, different combination with Phoebus.
I didn't have problems with my games, bf3, blk ops, mw3, aram2OA, in 2.0/5.1/7.1.
I guess you have to RMA it. FYI, I'm using PC 360 too :)

thetruth1983
08-08-2012, 04:09 AM
I had Tiamat for 4 days. I tweaked everything single setting, different combination with Phoebus.
I didn't have problems with my games, bf3, blk ops, mw3, aram2OA, in 2.0/5.1/7.1.
I guess you have to RMA it. FYI, I'm using PC 360 too :)

Wow that sucks considering I've only had the card for a week. Do you remember if there was some sort of setting you had to do to enable 7.1 through the headset? Are you sure that you were getting sound from every speaker in the Tiamat? I only ask that because I didn't notice that the side speakers were not working in games until I muted all the other sounds with the control pod. Also, I'm curious as to why you only had the Tiamat for 4 days. Did it break or did you just not like it?

cutbuter4fmg
08-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Because we've been waiting for Tiamat like ... 9 months? I did test it very seriously before get it refunded. I turn rear & side volume to 12/15. It was 200% extremely clear directional sound cue than PC360. In every games I play! It help me wipe the whole squad , pre fire at the corner of a wall, kill the guy, he didn't even had a chance to see me. So .... every speaker works.
I have different Phoebus profiles for each game (5 max), every game is better on different Flex Bass II & EQ settings. Some people said most games only support 5.1, but I found 7.1 I can hear better.
Anyway, I stick with my PC360 at the end :(

thetruth1983
08-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Because we've been waiting for Tiamat like ... 9 months? I did test it very seriously before get it refunded. I turn rear & side volume to 12/15. It was 200% extremely clear directional sound cue than PC360. In every games I play! It help me wipe the whole squad , pre fire at the corner of a wall, kill the guy, he didn't even had a chance to see me. So .... every speaker works.
I have different Phoebus profiles for each game (5 max), every game is better on different Flex Bass II & EQ settings. Some people said most games only support 5.1, but I found 7.1 I can hear better.
Anyway, I stick with my PC360 at the end :(

Well I just played around with the settings for the past hour and half and I am making progress. If I have either surround max or dolby turned on, I am able to get sound from all speakers. The catch is that for me to get sound from all speakers, the incoming audio has to be 2 channel. In BF3, the only way to get sound from all 8 speakers is to select enhanced stereo. All the other sound options will not let me get sound from the rear speakers. I also tested L4D2 which is native 7.1. The only way to get sound from all speakers in that game is to select either 2 channel or headphones. I can't believe that it's so hard for me to get something so simple to work. I do not want to have stereo audio upmixed to 7.1. I want to get 5.1 upmixed to 7.1 since I know most games are not native 7.1

I'm also sort of close to returning the Tiamat. The sound quality isn't as good as the PC360 but the directionality sure is nice. My plan was to have the Tiamat for competitive gaming and the PC360 for single player games. I hope I can figure out what's going on because this is frustrating.

xjoey83x
08-08-2012, 03:57 PM
I would honestly sell both your tiamat and pc360 and purchase a clip on mic [Zalman mic] and a nice pair of headphones that has a wide soundstage and great for both games and music. Check this guide out for recommendations http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-28-2012-external-microphone-section-added . I too had the Razer Tiamat, the sound quality was ok but i hated the mic as it was terrible quality. I personally use a Beyer DT 990 Pros with a possible Denon D5000 in the future as I am a bass junkie. Competitive sound direction didnt mean much to me as I mainly play rpg/mmo but you will get enough from dolby/surround max to notice it where shots are coming from.

Edit: If you are intent to sticking with a headset id keep the PC360

madmike66685
08-08-2012, 04:23 PM
I have bought this card yesterday with the Maximus v gene and just finished the install of bf3. I have to agree that I am very disappointed with the sound quality of the Tiamat 7.1 headset as this is my first chance to use the full 7.1 feature. I am able to get all speakers in headset working in the game but quality it very poor. My sennheiser 450mm headset is much better quality.

thetruth1983
08-09-2012, 03:55 AM
I would honestly sell both your tiamat and pc360 and purchase a clip on mic [Zalman mic] and a nice pair of headphones that has a wide soundstage and great for both games and music. Check this guide out for recommendations http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-28-2012-external-microphone-section-added . I too had the Razer Tiamat, the sound quality was ok but i hated the mic as it was terrible quality. I personally use a Beyer DT 990 Pros with a possible Denon D5000 in the future as I am a bass junkie. Competitive sound direction didnt mean much to me as I mainly play rpg/mmo but you will get enough from dolby/surround max to notice it where shots are coming from.

Edit: If you are intent to sticking with a headset id keep the PC360

I have always thought about using headphones with a clip on mic but I also game on the xbox and ps3. I prefer to stick with the PC360 since it has a mic built in and I am able to use it with the Astro Mixamp. Thanks for the link as I will read some reviews and possibly get another pair of headphones. The PC360s are nice but the bass it pretty weak IMO.

I have bought this card yesterday with the Maximus v gene and just finished the install of bf3. I have to agree that I am very disappointed with the sound quality of the Tiamat 7.1 headset as this is my first chance to use the full 7.1 feature. I am able to get all speakers in headset working in the game but quality it very poor. My sennheiser 450mm headset is much better quality.

I have almost given up on the Tiamat and I may just return it after all. With competitive gaming, I am willing to sacrifice some quality for better positional audio. Would you mind telling my what your Xonar settings are for the Tiamat. Also, could you tell me what sound option you have selected in BF3 and also if you have enhanced stereo activated in BF3?

slik
08-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Well I just played around with the settings for the past hour and half and I am making progress. If I have either surround max or dolby turned on, I am able to get sound from all speakers. The catch is that for me to get sound from all speakers, the incoming audio has to be 2 channel. In BF3, the only way to get sound from all 8 speakers is to select enhanced stereo. All the other sound options will not let me get sound from the rear speakers. I also tested L4D2 which is native 7.1. The only way to get sound from all speakers in that game is to select either 2 channel or headphones. I can't believe that it's so hard for me to get something so simple to work. I do not want to have stereo audio upmixed to 7.1. I want to get 5.1 upmixed to 7.1 since I know most games are not native 7.1

I'm also sort of close to returning the Tiamat. The sound quality isn't as good as the PC360 but the directionality sure is nice. My plan was to have the Tiamat for competitive gaming and the PC360 for single player games. I hope I can figure out what's going on because this is frustrating. I have the Tiamat's and what I did was,set the Phoebus to 5.1 and then set 7.1 in windows audie settings.

thetruth1983
08-10-2012, 02:35 AM
I have the Tiamat's and what I did was,set the Phoebus to 5.1 and then set 7.1 in windows audie settings.

I just tried that but it didn't work. When I set 7.1 in windows, the phoebus went back to 7.1 automatically. I believe the technology that I need is called Dolby Pro Logic IIx. It was in my older DX so I assumed it would be in the Phoebus. When I tried to play Alien Vs. Predator, sound came from all 7 channels since it is a native 7.1 game. Other games I've tried will are only in 5.1 unless I change them to stereo, which makes the PHobus upmix 2 channels to 7. I will play around with the software for a few more days or I may return it to buy a Xense from a guy on craigslist. Thanks for the help.

slik
08-10-2012, 11:51 AM
I just tried that but it didn't work. When I set 7.1 in windows, the phoebus went back to 7.1 automatically. I believe the technology that I need is called Dolby Pro Logic IIx. It was in my older DX so I assumed it would be in the Phoebus. When I tried to play Alien Vs. Predator, sound came from all 7 channels since it is a native 7.1 game. Other games I've tried will are only in 5.1 unless I change them to stereo, which makes the PHobus upmix 2 channels to 7. I will play around with the software for a few more days or I may return it to buy a Xense from a guy on craigslist. Thanks for the help.

I have the Xonar Xense too. As a matter of fact,I'm using the Xense right now. I find the Xense is a better card for gaming. Better game pre-sets etc.,and much easier to navigate through software settings. If you can find one without the bundled heaphones,[PC 350's] grab it. You can easily change op amps etc. too. Great sound card. Good luck!