PDA

View Full Version : Broken the Tiny Plastic Clamp on HDD Ribbon Cable - G53SW

Poncho
08-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Hi everyone,

I recently took apart my G53SW to clean out the fans because they were making a horrible noise (turns out the gpu fan is dying so I ordered a new one) the only problem is that I broke the hdd controller ribbon connector's clamp, the little black plastic thing, and so now the hard drive doesn't power on unless I hold the cable in place with my finger.

I managed to put some electrical tape on the ribbon, put it into the connector and then push the electrical tape under with the ribbon to apply enough pressure on the ribbon to make it contact the connector and this lasted about a day but now it is back to not staying connected.

Has this happened to anyone else? Can I get another of those tiny little plastic clamps from somewhere and if so where? If I can't, does anyone else have any solutions that are better than mine? As in they last longer than a day and I don't have to be scared to take it into work.

Who knew such a small piece of plastic would cause so much trouble.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Poncho

Zygomorphic
08-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Little bit of plastic...like the teeth on your house key. Contact Marshall@ASUS or Raja@ASUS, they may be able to sell it to you. I don't know.

Poncho
08-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Yeah, the little teethy bit of plastic that is used to clamp down each ribbon cable in the laptop.

Okay I'll try and contact them thanks.

If anyone else knows of any other DIY fix etc then pleaaaase contact me because that tiny piece of plastic has basically left me with an unusable laptop.

Thanks,

Poncho

Poncho
08-08-2012, 04:36 PM
How do I contact marshall@asus or raja@asus? Are they their email addresses as in marshall@asus.com/raja@asus.com or are they their forum usernames?

Poncho

Poncho
09-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Sorry I've been unable to follow this up due to work but this is basically a bump, how do I contact Marshall/Raja?

And does anyone else know how I can get a hold of this retention clip/clamp/thing?

Thanks,

Poncho

Zygomorphic
09-14-2012, 02:36 PM
PM them. Go to the "Quick Links->View Forum Leaders" and select one of the admins there.