PDA

View Full Version : G74sx graphics issue... did i get a lemon?

13fist
08-09-2012, 03:57 AM
Was havinga great day when the big brown truck dropped off my G74 this morning.
The first thing i did was install steam and began getting my games on, Fired up HL2 and BAM! blank black screen. It does this with ALL games I have tried.
Also, online videos, youtube, hulu, local videos, .jpgs, even this very forum are plagued with little white blinking speckles, frequently the screen just goes black, eventually it will just freeze up on a black screen which will gradualy fade to white.

1, I can usually alt-tab out of whatever is running and get to the desktop, but it will flicker like it's running 20hz refresh rate.
2, If I stay on ,for example this forum, for too long the screen will eventualy begin to just slowly go from solid black to chopy white. when this happens a reboot (or 3-5) is required before anything can be done.
3, I have been searching hi and low for solutions (how I found this place, and realized the issue was not limited to just games)
I have tried every nvidia driver combination I can find. no change with any of them.
I have tried custom refresh rates. no change
I have removed all of the asus bloat and put it back in sever different combinations. no change

I am going to pull an all nighter trying to get this right, I spent a lot of time saving up to get this rig so It is not something I want to give up on, but I am going to have to exchange it if I can't fix it by morning. I am going on the road this weekend so I just don't have much time.
I would truly preffer to just figure it out, so I am open to any help out there.

thanks!

dstrakele
08-09-2012, 06:31 AM
I recommend doing an F9 ASUS Factory Restore to bring the software back to its out-of-the-box state. Then attempt to reproduce your issue after installing as little new software as possible. If the video issue persists, exchange your laptop for a new one.

13fist
08-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the reply!
I did as you suggested, more than once, and in the end I had to return it.

Interesting enough, the returns counter @ best buy was completely aware of the issue, stating they have seen it many times before and is the main reason for returning G74sxs'. They were also telling me that ASUS was working on a bios fix for this issue, but it was unknown how far away the release would be.

I ended up paying the difference for a G75vw with similar specs (G74 was out of stock), and so far no issues to report.

G74sxpoo
08-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Good thing you dumped the G74. It really sucks to play games on.

I won't touch a G75 unless I got one for free. The G74 has all kinds of issues, no way I trust them again for a 'high end' laptop. Even a $5 USB keyboard made in china has a darn num lock key on it.

dstrakele
08-10-2012, 04:34 AM
They were also telling me that ASUS was working on a bios fix for this issue, but it was unknown how far away the release would be.

Interesting info - but I think your G74SX had a defective or poorly-seated LVDS cable or GPU., rather than a software or firmware issue.

380mcn
08-22-2012, 09:54 PM
i really hope your story ends there! :) with a g75 without issues!