PDA

View Full Version : So the G74SX is dead, and we will never get a keyboard fix?

G74sxpoo
08-10-2012, 03:08 AM
To get a numlock?

Do the idiots at ASUS think that I am going to dump another $1700+ on one of their laptops after the horrid support I/we got for the G74?

380mcn
08-22-2012, 09:52 PM
i really think so. my next laptop will be probably an alienware or a MSI gaming notebook.
Keep an eye on samsung, they are restarting their laptop business.

Shawnnepc
08-23-2012, 12:07 AM
i really think so. my next laptop will be probably an alienware or a MSI gaming notebook.
Keep an eye on samsung, they are restarting their laptop business.

I'm glad that guy got banned finally.

Anyways,

I've resold laptops for quite some time now and I can assure you, no one is different.

We just dropped all of our Alienware ties because of they're incredibly bad support and components. They also have one of the worst billing departments that I've ever had to deal with in all of my years in IT.

MSI units are generally cheap and expensive to repair. Their support is also pretty abysmal.

I don't know much about Samsung as their laptops have always been in the lower end of the spectrum or not available for me to resell.

I do like their phones and refrigerators.

Regardless, best of luck with whatever vendor you choose in the future.

Don't forget that you've got a pretty awesome community backing ASUS products that can help you as much as we can.

Zygomorphic
08-23-2012, 01:38 AM
Shall I nuke this thread?

I would second @Shawnnepc. Does Apple have a community of enthusiasts who are willing to spend hours of their time helping out without payment?

PILGRIM
08-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Shall I nuke this thread?

I would second @Shawnnepc. Does Apple have a community of enthusiasts who are willing to spend hours of their time helping out without payment?

Nah. Just leave it be..

For good and bad, it adds flavor to the Forums' concoction. :p

fostert
08-23-2012, 05:59 AM
The guy's got a point...the G74 has been left to languish by ASUS it seems when a simple BIOS upgrade would have solved alot of problems identified on these forums months ago. Where is BIOS 204?

Zygomorphic
08-23-2012, 10:17 AM
The guy's got a point...the G74 has been left to languish by ASUS it seems when a simple BIOS upgrade would have solved alot of problems identified on these forums months ago. Where is BIOS 204?

Others have been more fair in their dealings, people like you. The OP has been a problem for the mods and was simply spamming and flaming. As a general rule, his posts and threads have been deleted. This one may have been left, I don't know. I wasn't a mod at the time he was a problem. Just heard the after-effects.

Cat
08-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Playing Devil's Advocate here: Just because all the other vendors are worse doesn't mean ASUS aren't bad.

HiVizMan
08-23-2012, 12:31 PM
ASUS has some pretty embarrassing support - or more accurately not support for some users and some regions. Let the thread stand. At the end of the day we have nothing to hide.

The OP was way out of line how he interacted with some of the staff here. But that is done and dusted now.

I would be much happier if there were not any threads at all about rubbish support but that is not going to happen any-time soon.

By the way Zyg I am a huge Applie fanboi, and I pay for my extended service agreement on both the Macbook Pro's we have at home. And you do get what you pay for. :p

But no after-market service is ever going to be perfect, or pleasurable. Mainly because you are only going to need to contact them when things have gone wrong. And when folks pay huge amounts of money for products they expect them to work. And sometimes they do not work as expected. The reasons are many and really not important to the person who has paid the money. lol if you see how some courier firms handle their packages you would be surprised that any electronics products work once they get to the end user. Sometimes it is a design fault that has slipped through the test phases. Some times it is user stupidity, but the reasons are not important the bottom line is that a product has not worked and after market support has to deal with it. Not all of ASUS after market support does.

PILGRIM
08-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Valid points from HiVizMan.

But fostert brought out a long standing issue for the G74/G53 series.
It's been quite some time now that the G74/G53 users have been waiting
for a BIOS (204?) update. It was promised by one moderator, several months back,
that a BIOS update was forthcoming. What month is it now?.. Are we waiting for nothing?

As fostert said, the OP's issue could have been resolved with a BIOS update- among other
issues identified with these G-series. That calculator button could just have been
re-programmed into a numlock button.

As we know, all personalities differ. In one given problematic situation,
some may cuss or even be violent, while others may just try to be civil.
But the fact remains that the problem is still there. So what to do about it?..
I would say find a cure to the malady, and all will be okay.. Just sayin'..

HiVizMan
08-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Pilgram you are totally correct. The bottom line is that a fix was possible. And that fix should still happen. I will forward this thread to the BIOS team guys, I only really know the Motherboard folks as that is my primary interest. As I said I use a Macbook so ASUS laptops and notebooks BIOS team guys are not known to me personally. But it will not do any harm to push this once more. Could you just quantify what needs to be done in clear and simple terms. I do not really know what the particular issue is or was. You mentioned numlock issues. Just spell it out thanks mate.

PILGRIM
08-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Pilgram you are totally correct. The bottom line is that a fix was possible. And that fix should still happen. I will forward this thread to the BIOS team guys, I only really know the Motherboard folks as that is my primary interest. As I said I use a Macbook so ASUS laptops and notebooks BIOS team guys are not known to me personally. But it will not do any harm to push this once more. Could you just quantify what needs to be done in clear and simple terms. I do not really know what the particular issue is or was. You mentioned numlock issues. Just spell it out thanks mate.

I copied this list from fostert's post #3: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4162-G74SX-NUMLOCK-for-KEY-PAD&p=52561#post52561
1) Numlock & LED issue
2) Support for faster DDR3 clock speeds (1600, 1866) when slots are filled
3) support for 32GB RAM
4) *SOME* control over things like memory timings, JEDEC/XMP SPDs, fan speeds, keyboard backlight, and even voltages
5) << add your item here>>

To be honest, I'm 99.9% satisfied with my G74SX-3DE until now. I've done the best upgrades
I can to make my laptop work the way I wanted it (i.e. SSD and Wi-Fi upgrades + software updates).
I had a bright-dot issue on my screen, but I was able to resolve it with the help of Google.

Though I'm not much of a gamer (many of which need the numlock button), it somehow
bothers me when some G74 users consistently complain about it plus more..
So, the underlying premise is that it's better to make most (if not everybody) users happy..
And however trivial or great the case may be, when ASUS does such, the axiom will always be true:
"A happy customer is a returning customer."

Much obliged to you, HiVizMan. :)

fostert
08-24-2012, 03:43 AM
I copied this list from fostert's post #3: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4162-G74SX-NUMLOCK-for-KEY-PAD&p=52561#post52561
1) Numlock & LED issue
2) Support for faster DDR3 clock speeds (1600, 1866) when slots are filled
3) support for 32GB RAM
4) *SOME* control over things like memory timings, JEDEC/XMP SPDs, fan speeds, keyboard backlight, and even voltages
5) << add your item here>>

Scratch item 3; it works! Replace item 3 with "Add CPU AES-NI function support" since it is supported by the 2nd gen sandy bridge chips in the G74.

The NUMLOCK request is simple: give the user some key combo to toggle NUMLOCK state on and off; in fact why not just remap the silly calculator key? For those that like that key, give the option in the BIOS to remap NUMLOCK to some other key/combo. And, get the NUMLOCK LED to reflect the state properly.

I too am very happy with the G74 at the 95% confidence level. The NUMLOCK thing is annoying but not a showstopper for me (NUMLOCK state is off when I boot into Linux, and is turned on with any accidentaltap of the CAPSLOCK key, but once its on it can't be turned off again!). A fix would be wonderful, and would appease**many** people on this site who are teetering on falling away from being loyal fans of ASUS.

Gorman
08-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Playing Devil's Advocate here: Just because all the other vendors are worse doesn't mean ASUS aren't bad.
> Clevo has amazing support and they are cheaper

Not all the other vendors are worse. At least Dell don't blatantly lie to customers and ignore their contractual obligations. Never heard of MSI doing that either now that I think of it,,,

chrsplmr
08-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Awesome .. Is there a forum url ?
Dell doesnt lie ? Have you seen their prices ? Is there 'Anything' coherent on Alienware forum ?
Msi ? In all fairness I must say - et. Just shy of inspiring .. lacking innovation.

brotherGorman, no offense to you my brother, I know you are speaking a personal truth.
I saw it, we all did .. we wont forget it either, which is my point ..
Asus too, I firmly believe, wants it better as well - That is why Here is HERE.
In this I must ammend previous remarks:
I said 99.9% satisfaction personally witnessed with the other .1% flamers refusing to be satisfied.
to> 99.7% satisfied in the end, .1% Flamers .... and the remaining .2% 'Gormans', that got lip service
and a shrug ... for this I to will always be disappointed in Asus.

In fact, the very next time I see it going like it did in that case .. I will say ..
This member is getting 'Gorman'd.' .c.