PDA

View Full Version : G73JW Upgrade to 3DE display questions

irdmoose
03-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Howdy all,
First off, let me say that I LOVE my G73JW-XA1 laptop. It's been an absolute workhorse for me. I use it for school, our church's Sunday sermon presentation, and some fairly heavy duty gaming. This machine is a beast, and even though it gets warm my lap has yet to overheat while playing even Metro 2033 away from home.

My only gripe with it so far (aside from the known issues of the keyboard occasionally missing letters that I type) is that the screen is so ridiculously glossy. I was thinking about upgrading it to a 3DE display to get the benefits of the matte finish and the 120 hz refresh. However, I have a few questions:
1) Would this void my Asus 1 year warranty? (I wouldn't expect the upgrade parts to be covered)
2) Would I be able to play games in 3D if I were to get the nVidia 3D glasses kit?
3) Has anyone else done this, and is it really that much better of a screen?

Thanks all,
Moose

P.S. Anyone planning on being at the Sac Intel Lanfest a week from this Friday?

xeromist
03-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Hey Moose, just wanted to say hi. :) I don't know anything about those laptops but Chastity seems to know about panel swaps.

As to Lanfest, I'm otherwise occupied unfortunately :( Brian is going as an attendee for a change and PCJunkie is also going to be there. We've got a thread for it if you want to say anything:
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1970-Sacramento-Lanfest