PDA

View Full Version : G74sx gpu overclocking problems

Kjetil95
08-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Hi all

Whenever I overclock my gpu past 880mhz, my computer will lock up completely, showing up no signs of artifacts or overheating. Max temp is 65c. I have seen other users here at this forum being sucsessfully overclocking their gpu past 900mhz core without problems. I thought that the gpu would automatically throttle down if the speed was too high. Here it totally locks up. Forcing me to reboot. This only happens during gaming and gpu intensive tasks. When I am running at stocks speeds, I Never have a problem. So I think it is a bit weird that i cant even past 880mhz before my gpu freezes as i have seen other people never had a problem. I heard someone said in this forum that 900core/1625memory is totally safe for 24/7 use. But here it lock up after a couple of mintues. But as i said i never have a problem at stock speeds.

Zygomorphic
08-11-2012, 01:11 AM
The throttling is if the system gets so hot that the GPU is trying to keep from cooking itself. Overclocking is very dependent on the individual chip, not the model...though that plays into it too. If your specific chip is not quite as well made as another person's, it will not OC as high before hanging the driver, so you may not be able to do anything about it, save getting another computer, which is a rather expensive proposition :D. Heat is the enemy of 24/7 operation, but manufacturing variability is the key to great or grumpy overclocks. :cool: