PDA

View Full Version : G55 power adapter making buzzing noise

chgan88
08-11-2012, 02:30 AM
Hi, I've been using my G55 without any problem for around 1 month. However, a strange buzzing sound was coming out from my power adapter yesterday when I switch on my laptop with the power adapter plugged in. The sound is quite inaudible if I did not switch on my laptop but it turn louder as I turn on my laptop.

Is this normal or should I be concern about this issue?

Kamil
08-11-2012, 07:05 AM
I think it's normal, and it also happened to me on all 3 of the G55s I've used. It sounds kind of like a fan, which makes some sense considering how hot the brick gets, and some nonsense considering there do not seem to be any vent holes.

Awesome
08-11-2012, 07:28 AM
It's normal. It should dissaper in 24-48 hours

chgan88
08-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Thnx a lot guys. I have been really worried since yesterday. Seeing your reply really calm me down.

mrwolf
08-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Yea, i hav a similar sound on my G75.. But for some reason when i use more power (ie when playing games) it seems to go away..

adham_dehe
10-04-2012, 09:15 AM
My G55 power adapter also make buzzing sounds. But barely audible. I need to put the brick next to my ear to hear it.

Why i put power brick next to my ear? Because i come across this thread :p

ggBanks
10-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Mine has the same problem, but is still holding, so... no problem :)

Shawnnepc
10-04-2012, 02:35 PM
I've yet to sell one that doesn't.

If you think that's bad wait until you hear the 300w pwr adpts that come with the Clevo.

It sounds like someone is attempting to resurrect frankenstein

srmojuze
03-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Thanks. I am now calm and can go back to my work... :) Because today I was one of the only ones in the office and the power brick was on the table. Then I heard the buzzing noise... Very faint, but if it is just part of the power brick AC/DC conversion (?) then so be it.

I've now put the power adaptor on the floor. Where it will get more dirty but ah well... :rolleyes:

Pitcher@asus
03-04-2013, 07:49 AM
i think asus adapter is using high power adapter, when it is output, it have a little sound.

UnAimed
03-04-2013, 08:29 AM
What your describing is called Coil whining or Coil noise. Rest assured, this does not damage or interfere with the operation of the charger, in other words it's quite normal.

See here for a explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise

There might be some ways to reduce it or have it disappear completely. Try plugging it into a different socket or plug it into a power extender equipped with Ground.