PDA

View Full Version : I have a question.

ntzntz
08-11-2012, 12:54 PM
I did received my G75VW-BBK5 (I hope i did not typed wrong). But i have a single problem with this one.
The HDD i received the laptop with it`s a 932GB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB ATA Device (SATA). Problem wih this HDD is so slow. The whole system is slowed down by this hdd. Anyone has the same problem with that? First thing i did think it was from a lot of software and drivers installed by ASUS. But now i did installed a clean version and used my serial for Win 7 Home Premium. And the system is working the same. Maybe the problem is the HDD or the spinning rate of 5.400 ? Anyone knows?

john_from_ohio
08-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Well actually the drive is a samsung ( did samsung buy seagate ? ) and has some dang nice reviews for a 1 TB 5400 rpm drive ... for example
http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_spinpoint_m8_review ...

I have similar drive in my G75VW but as my secondary data drive.

If you buy a nice top of the line laptop like a G75VW you really need to consider putting in an SSD as the primary ( operating system and boot up drive ). Keep a nice big other drive as the second drive.

Everyone has brand preferences for SSD drives but I recommend the Intel 520 series or the Samsung 830 series as first choices.

Once you go SSD you won't go back!

ntzntz
08-11-2012, 07:34 PM
I dont know where you did get that with samsung if the code is 100% Seagate. Nvm. I Just want to point that the HDD is so slow. If someone knows why. Or the problem is elsewhere. I am on a point to purchase a SSD.

john_from_ohio
08-11-2012, 08:55 PM
I dont know where you did get that with samsung if the code is 100% Seagate.

If you google around with "HN M101MBB" you can see the connection.

Put some disk testing software on if and check it out ... do some benchmarks and post your results.

Hard to help you with observations like "it is slow" ... give us some specifics here.

If nothing else what numbers does Windows ( Control Panel => System aka Windows experience ) report for your disk data transfer rate?

c_man
08-11-2012, 09:06 PM
"Speed" depends on what programs you run. Try to stop any programs that you don't really need.

Try to reduce as much as possible the Page file. I use the minimum 800Mb.

The 5400 rpm is a slow HDD in general and as you put more data on it, things will get even slower. Try putting some money on the side and get a SSD if speed is important or a SSH if space is more important (it's still fast for most users).

ntzntz
08-12-2012, 09:56 AM
ATTO TEST : http://i.imgur.com/WxTIv.jpg
CRYSTALMARK TEST : http://i49.tinypic.com/2qlalbp.jpg

The system is fresh installed. I do not have anything installed on it. Just a game.
And about the Samsung / Segate ur right. I dont know why they are two listed with the same code.

ntzntz
08-14-2012, 10:55 AM
I posted the pictures of the test. Can someone tell me if they are ok?

c_man
08-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Yes, about on par with 750Gb 7200 rpm (it is faster, but not by much) except 4K QD32, where it is twice as fast.