PDA

View Full Version : G75 questions & issues!

flangenimblick
08-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Hi all,

Recently I bought a G75VW and it is AWESOME. I love everything about it! Vast improvement on the previous models, except for the sound...

I got around the sound issue with the purchase of a Logitech Z323 Speaker System, however, this brings me to my first issue:

1) I have the speaker system plugged into the headphones jack, and I have the sound settings set to the logitech speakers as the primary sound output.

However, when I use the speakers, I find that the laptop speaker activates as well, but when I adjust the sound by pressing the function + speaker key on the keyboard (adjusting the volume up or down) it suddenly stops working and only the logitech speakers play sound.

I have no idea why this is happening, any ideas?

2) With my G75 I got these:

I have no idea what they're for though...

3) How do I make use of the 3D features included in the G75? Do I need to download new software and which glasses do I need?

4) Any other software or tips you can recommend to get the most out of this beauty?

Thanks!

john_from_ohio
08-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Your machine is probably not 3d ... you would have received glasses if it was. Those are spare filters in your picture.

Find my thread on "What to do first" with a new G55/G75 and read thru that thread. Lots of software tips and recommendations there ... uninstall Asus live update immediately!

I guess I should stop being surprised by people purchasing these machines who do not know what they purchased!

flangenimblick
08-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Your machine is probably not 3d ... you would have received glasses if it was.

Ah, I see. Also saw this thread just after posting, so I assume I'll need a 3D capable monitor as well. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19997-How-do-I-use-the-3D&country=&status=

Those are spare filters in your picture.

I thought as much, thanks for confirming.

Find my thread on "What to do first" with a new G55/G75 and read thru that thread. Lots of software tips and recommendations there ... uninstall Asus live update immediately!

Awesome, thanks! Busy reading through it now!

I guess I should stop being surprised by people purchasing these machines who do not know what they purchased!

No need to be rude. I've owned a G74SW before as well but it's better to ask than stumble around blindly assuming knowledge one hasn't acquired.

Thanks again for the info!

john_from_ohio
08-11-2012, 08:59 PM
No need to be rude.

Sorry my apologies ... I spent a whole bunch of time doing research before buying my G75VW ... have fun with your machine!

tmule23
08-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Hello guys,

I just bought my g75vw and its ABSOLUTELY great! I do have one question. I read in one of the forums that everyone should delete asus live update. Should we do that?

Thanks!

c_man
08-13-2012, 06:44 PM
You don't really need it. I never had any problems with it, but who knows. I have a clean install and I never had many of the problems listed here.

tmule23
08-14-2012, 07:53 AM
So you say not to uninstall it?

c_man
08-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Do you need it?

tmule23
08-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Well it does have nice updates for graphics and sound.

flangenimblick
08-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Sorry my apologies ... I spent a whole bunch of time doing research before buying my G75VW ... have fun with your machine!

I also did quite a bit of research before purchasing. There were simply a few things I did not understand. The questions I asked don't seem to suggest I haven't done my research. Maybe you were apologising, but it read more like a back-handed insult.

Anyway, thanks for the info you did provide.

Hello guys,

I just bought my g75vw and its ABSOLUTELY great! I do have one question. I read in one of the forums that everyone should delete asus live update. Should we do that?

Thanks!

You don't really need it. I never had any problems with it, but who knows. I have a clean install and I never had many of the problems listed here.

Well it does have nice updates for graphics and sound.

With my G73, I found the Live Update to be a source of bother. I had no problems with my G75 at all, but I uninstalled it anyway just in case.

You can manually update if it worries you tmule?

flangenimblick
08-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Hi all,

Recently I bought a G75VW and it is AWESOME. I love everything about it! Vast improvement on the previous models, except for the sound...

I got around the sound issue with the purchase of a Logitech Z323 Speaker System, however, this brings me to my first issue:

1) I have the speaker system plugged into the headphones jack, and I have the sound settings set to the logitech speakers as the primary sound output.

However, when I use the speakers, I find that the laptop speaker activates as well, but when I adjust the sound by pressing the function + speaker key on the keyboard (adjusting the volume up or down) it suddenly stops working and only the logitech speakers play sound.

I have no idea why this is happening, any ideas?

Does no-one have any input regarding my first issue here?

tmule23
08-16-2012, 06:50 PM
I also did quite a bit of research before purchasing. There were simply a few things I did not understand. The questions I asked don't seem to suggest I haven't done my research. Maybe you were apologising, but it read more like a back-handed insult.

Anyway, thanks for the info you did provide.

With my G73, I found the Live Update to be a source of bother. I had no problems with my G75 at all, but I uninstalled it anyway just in case.

You can manually update if it worries you tmule?

Can we manually update graphics drivers and everything else?

c_man
08-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Yes. What exactly you want to upgrade and how? From Device Manager?

tmule23
08-17-2012, 06:21 AM
I updated graphics and sound drivers via asus live update. Anyway, think i will leave it for now.
I have another question. Sorry for being boring. Is it better to eject the battery while the laptop is running on AC or it doesnt matter? Also, does the battery requires some type of forming cycles, such as 3 full discharges?

Thank you so much!

c_man
08-17-2012, 07:30 AM
If you want to take care of your bat, consider 3 things:

- more recharge cycles = faster wear - so use the battery only if you have to;
- deep discharge (if you just take it out and forget about it for a long time, might be possible) = faster wear;
- runing it at high temps = faster wear.

There is one more thing specific to G75 so far that I call "overnight discharge". I think this will vary from laptop to laptop and looks to be like 1-10%. I'm not sure what the problem is for the severe cases. I hope Asus can look into it and fix this with a BIOS update.

I shall try to disable a few options in BIOS and Windows to see if the discharge is connected to them. I do not leave anything in the USB.

Anyway, this constant discharge might wear the battery a little faster. But from what I've seen, the battery itself seems to be a good one. Wear is under 1% a month so far. This is a very good value. On my Dell it was a few times more under same working scenario.

No forming cycles needed.

tmule23
08-17-2012, 09:04 AM
If you want to take care of your bat, consider 3 things:

- more recharge cycles = faster wear - so use the battery only if you have to;
- deep discharge (if you just take it out and forget about it for a long time, might be possible) = faster wear;
- runing it at high temps = faster wear.

There is one more thing specific to G75 so far that I call "overnight discharge". I think this will vary from laptop to laptop and looks to be like 1-10%. I'm not sure what the problem is for the severe cases. I hope Asus can look into it and fix this with a BIOS update.

I shall try to disable a few options in BIOS and Windows to see if the discharge is connected to them. I do not leave anything in the USB.

Anyway, this constant discharge might wear the battery a little faster. But from what I've seen, the battery itself seems to be a good one. Wear is under 1% a month so far. This is a very good value. On my Dell it was a few times more under same working scenario.

No forming cycles needed.

Oh thanks man for help. You have been most helpful!!!!!