PDA

View Full Version : G75 bios

ushhh
08-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Just wondering what Uefi boot and Pxe rom do and should I have them enabled or disabled

c_man
08-12-2012, 10:19 AM
U-EFI is the new standard to replace BIOS.

PXE is booting over network if I remember this right.

You can disable/enable them based on your needs.

MaXimus711
08-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Just wondering what Uefi boot and Pxe rom do and should I have them enabled or disabled

If you enable UEFI, then when you are installing Windows, it will create an additional partition so you will have, System Partition (Boot partition), MBR Disk (100 MB partition for the UEFI), and another partition for Windows

with UEFI enabled in BIOS, when you create a partition, it will automatically make it a GPT disk.

If you are trying to use a program such as Acronis True Image or any other disk imaging software later on to backup your entire C: partition after you have configured everything to your liking in case you ever wanna restore your system back, it never works with a GPT disk. I tried everything

I did a lot of research, and finally figured out that my partition being created as a GPT disk is because of the UEFI enabled in BIOS. Once I disabled it, everything went back to normal, and I was able to install Windows without the extra partition and back up my HDD just fine!

Keep it disabled if you don't want headaches

ushhh
08-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Does uefi boot make windows boot any faster or anything

MaXimus711
08-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Does uefi boot make windows boot any faster or anything

I have tested both

Re-Boot with UEFI Enabled GPT partition = 45 seconds
Re-Boot with UEFI Disabled (Normal Partition) = 35 seconds

The reason I say reboot and not boot, is because I calculate the entire shut down / restart process then the boot process into one

You can deduct -15 to 20 seconds if you just want the speed of the boot up without the restart/shutdown

c_man
08-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Boot from cold they are both about the same.