PDA

View Full Version : Battery question

CuriouS
08-12-2012, 12:56 PM
The G75VW is my first laptop and I have a question about preserving the battery.

The notebook is stationary 95%+ of the time and I was wondering which of these options is best for the battery:
1. Keep it plugged in all the time with the battery.
2. Remove the battery and keep it plugged in all the time.
3. Plug it in to charge the battery/while gaming and then let it discharge and then charge it again and so on.

Thank you in advance!

c_man
08-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Well, it depends.

This is how things go for me as I sometimes put a very heavy load on it.

A/C plugged and battery in at 100%. There might be moments when the power brick will not be able to deliver the power this laptop needs. I think this only applies to 670M version. When this happens, the laptop will use the battery as well. Under very heavy load I see drops from 100% to 98%.

The battery will recharge only if it gets under 95%. This is very important as it means that Asus does not charge the battery continuously.

I do not know what happens if there is no battery. Best case scenario is throttling. Worse would be a reboot. You can test this, it won't damage the laptop.

Battery life depends on few factors: recharging cycles, deep discharge and heat.

Do not discharge/recharge unless you need to do so.

If you choose to use the laptop without it, charge it to about 50%, put it in a dry and cool place. Make sure to check it over time. I can tell my experience with Dell batteries this way, even after many months I have not seen a discherged one, but I only did this with Dell. Batteries are as new after few years now.

When you use the battery and when you charge the laptop, make sure there is space under for the battery to dissipate heat.

This is what I know about the subject.