PDA

View Full Version : G75VW strange sounds from the power supply block

miknis
08-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Hi,
I just bought this laptop a week ago. I'm enjoying it but after few days from buying it, the AC (power supply block, don't know how it's spelled correctly) started making weird noises. However, it only makes them while charging the battery (if you remove the battery - when the laptop is ON).
These sounds can be heard in the morning quite well few meters from it. However, during the day (when the noise level outside is high) you can hear the noise only 1 meter or less from it.
I would compare this sound to horror movies where the lamp bulb is nearly dead and makes noises when blinking. :D

Is it normal or should I send it to the shop I bought from to replace (if they would agree it is not good)?
In case it matters, I have 660M version with 8GB rams (G75VW-T1141V (stock 4gb rams)).

_
08-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Is it specific to a particular wall socket? Or does it remain when you try a different building with different power ring? Does it feel excessively hot? If yes then it's probably worth exchanging, otherwise it's probably just coil whine from the transformer that's generally more annoying than dangerous.

miknis
08-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Is it specific to a particular wall socket?
No, happens in the whole flat.

Or does it remain when you try a different building with different power ring?
Don't know, can't check this month.

Does it feel excessively hot?
While idle (surfing net, etc, etc) with battery on, it is warm and while playing League of Legends, it's pretty much the same.

theevilisback
08-16-2012, 08:45 AM
From past experience with anything power related, if it's making sounds that are anything noticeable, have someone check it out. If you just bought it, I see no reason going to the retailer and simply asking "hey, does this sound normal?" If they value your business they'll do something for you. Mine makes minimal noise. I actually hear a fan right now with my system only running chrome over my power brick.

Also, it struck me odd that he asked about your power brick heating up. I think the hottest mine's ever gotten was slightly warm to the touch, while it was about 85F in my room and I had Diablo 3, Dota, and WoW running all at the same time (decided to try and push this thing to a limit)

Shawnnepc
08-16-2012, 01:38 PM
All the new G series bricks have a high pitched electrical whine.

After a few days (or weeks) the issue will go away or lessen in severity

c_man
08-16-2012, 02:01 PM
It's true or at least is what I've seen on those I had.

miknis
08-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Been using this laptop for 2 weeks now, so I guess I'll wait for ~ 3 more weeks and if it won't fade away, I'll take it to the shop.

theevilisback
08-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Mine never had any sound coming from the brick, and I rarely use it without being plugged in. I must be oblivious to the noise :x

Apexing
08-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Hm, yea Ive owned mine for a few months now.
And it has never made any sound from the powerbrick, I usualy have it plugged in.
So its not correct that all of them makes that sound, if he is unhappy I would sugest contact the seller hear if you can just have the brick replaced.