PDA

View Full Version : G75VW Battery (Need Guide)

shinraiz
08-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Hello,

I ordered my G75VW and i need a guide on battery first time charging and how to take care of it (e.g how many hours do i need for first time charging, can i play it on charge without removing the battery, etc.). Sorry for the noob question, as i've not used laptop for such a long time and i don't know anything about laptop battery nowadays.

c_man
08-14-2012, 08:04 AM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20384-Battery-question&country=&status=

There is no "many hours", plug it and that is it.

shinraiz
08-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the reply! So it's okay if i not do a specific charge time for the first time, and if i plugged in the battery without ever removing it, it will not damage the battery?

Zygomorphic
08-14-2012, 02:39 PM
No worries, laptop batteries have changed dramatically in the last ten years. All the old wisdom is now wives-tales. :) Soon, we won't have to worry about any of this...super-capacitors with 3 minute charge times...hint, hint, ASUS :cool:.

I saw in PopSci not that long ago that some company has come out with the first mouse powered on a super-capacitor. Only a matter of time to lappys get it too...

shinraiz
08-14-2012, 03:13 PM
All right then. thanks both of you for the reply! Now i can rest assured :)

cl-scott
08-14-2012, 04:09 PM
No worries, laptop batteries have changed dramatically in the last ten years. All the old wisdom is now wives-tales. :) Soon, we won't have to worry about any of this...super-capacitors with 3 minute charge times...hint, hint, ASUS :cool:.

I saw in PopSci not that long ago that some company has come out with the first mouse powered on a super-capacitor. Only a matter of time to lappys get it too...

Capacitor based setups aren't quite as rosy a picture as it might seem at first. Capacitors eventually fail, and a lot of times they "sort of" fail causing strange symptoms. Look a few years back when there was a rash of bad capacitors flooding into the electronics market. Dell, Apple, and virtually everyone else was forced to implement massive recall programs.

That aside, yes, you do still see a lot of people with a lot of info that relates to NiCad batteries that haven't been used in laptops for many years. There's no memory effect or anything else with Li Ion batteries, and they're about as maintenance free as you can get in that generally the only time you need to deal with them is when they fail.

c_man
08-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Battery life depends on few factors: recharging cycles, deep discharge and heat.

Do not discharge/recharge unless you need to do so.

If you choose to use the laptop without it, charge it to about 50%, put it in a dry and cool place. Make sure to check it over time. I can tell my experience with Dell batteries this way, even after many months I have not seen a discherged one, but I only did this with Dell. Batteries are as new after few years now.

When you use the battery and when you charge the laptop, make sure there is space under for the battery to dissipate heat.

acer59
11-12-2012, 08:08 AM
ASUS G75VW Battery tips :

1. ASUS G75VW battery life (and its recharge times) will vary based on many factors including screen brightness,applications,features,power management and other customer preferenes.It's a good idea to set screen saver blank to 1 to 2 minutes of your notebook and turn down the LCD brightness of your portable computer.
2. Avoid using a CD or DVD in your ASUS G75VW pc.Optical drives consume large amounts of power to spin up CDs and DVDs.Copy the data you need on an optical disc to your laptop’s hard drive or a thumb drive before traveling.
3. Avoid very hot or cold temperatures.Extreme temperatures could effect ASUS G75VW battery's performance and can even cause permanent damage. Try to charge and use the battery at room temperatures.
4. A new rechargeable battery usually comes in a discharged condition.Therefore,you need to fully charge the ASUS G75VW battery before you use it.In addition,new battery requires two to three charge/discharge cycles before it can condition to full capacity.

For more please go to cbattery.net

Zygomorphic
11-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Capacitor based setups aren't quite as rosy a picture as it might seem at first. Capacitors eventually fail, and a lot of times they "sort of" fail causing strange symptoms. Look a few years back when there was a rash of bad capacitors flooding into the electronics market. Dell, Apple, and virtually everyone else was forced to implement massive recall programs.

The difference between the carbon-nanotube supercapacitor (CNSC) and the electrolytic capacitors (EC) that were popping is the construction internally. While yes everything has a finite life, the CNSC doesn't have the electrolyte fluid, so it isn't prone to boiling and popping. All the stuff I've heard indicates that the number of recharage cycles is three orders of magnitude higher than any Li-On battery. The CNSC uses basically a carbon nano-tude "Sponge" to soak up the electrons.