PDA

View Full Version : Strange audio issue, possibly faulty speakers

Skree
08-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi all.

I have a strange issue with my G75, and i am unsure if my unit is defective or not. I will explain in details all that happens.

Bad audio quality, ok, the subwoofer seems to be a normal speaker, that's in line to what i have read elsewhere. Strange problems start to appear when i try to disable the subwoofer or to uninstall the drivers:

If i disable the subwoofer from windows audio panel or from the VIA control panel, i get NO AUDIO at all, except from some noise when testing the speakers.

If i uninstall the via drivers and use the high definition audio drivers from windows, i get audio only from the RIGHT speaker, the left speaker does not work.

If i leave all activated i seem to get audio from all channels, and the audio is identified as a 5.1 system on windows, not 2.1.

I ran a tweeter test, with high frequency sounds that the subwoofer shouldn't be able to reproduce, and the sound i heard seemed to come from the speakers on the upper part of the keyboard.

I am absolutely unsure about what to do.

Thank you for your time.

UltimaRage
08-14-2012, 07:01 PM
You HAVE to use the VIA drivers.

Have you installed the latest VIA drivers?

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20445-Via-Audio-Driver-v6.0.01.10600a&country=&status=

Skree
08-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Yes, of course. All i have said happens with latest drivers, happened with the older drivers, and, when appropriate, happens with no drivers (the part about hearing only from the right speaker when uninstalling via drivers and using default windows drivers).

UltimaRage
08-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Why are you trying to run the sound card on drivers that it is not designed for? I'm surprised it works at all with the VIA drivers uninstalled. It is not intended to work without the VIA drivers.

Also, why are you trying to disable the subwoofer?

If i leave all activated i seem to get audio from all channels, and the audio is identified as a 5.1 system on windows, not 2.1.

I'm not sure there is an issue here?? Why not just keep everything activated like it is meant to be? You are attempting to operate the sound chip in ways it was not designed to operate at.

The speakers being below par compared to what you expected doesn't mean they are faulty. They're still just laptop speakers.

Skree
08-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Hi Ultima.

Perhaps we have two different instances of a G75, but in quite a number of them, at least from reading the topics here, my educated guess is that the subwoofer with the intended drivers doesn't act as a subwoofer but as a full range speaker, putting the audio balance to hell and making quite hard to adjust the volume.

Disabling the subwoofer would allow for, at least, an acceptable 2.0 performance.

On a side note, disabling the subwoofer is actually a feature of the latest drivers you kindly mentioned.

UltimaRage
08-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. If the system works fine with the suboofer enabled, then keep it enabled.

This might help with the volume balancing.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20220-SOUND-settings-my-sound-settings-on-G75&country=&status=

HiVizMan
08-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. If the system works fine with the suboofer enabled, then keep it enabled.

This might help with the volume balancing.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20220-SOUND-settings-my-sound-settings-on-G75&country=&status=

The point UltimaRage is that his system does not work correctly hence why Skree trying to find solutions. :) Thank you for the link I am certainly going to be looking at that myself, as my sound has the same issues as Skree.

Skree
08-15-2012, 10:05 AM
The point UltimaRage is that his system does not work correctly hence why Skree trying to find solutions. :) Thank you for the link I am certainly going to be looking at that myself, as my sound has the same issues as Skree.

Hmm. If you have the very same issues it is unlikely that both our computers have the very same hardware failure.

It's not a tragedy, it's a great computer, it is however really a shame that such a good machine has sub-par audio.

I had the G73 and a G54, they both had better audio overall... truly a shame.

Anyone's got any idea on how at the very least disable the subwoofer without getting no audio at all?

c_man
08-15-2012, 10:45 AM
SO, you have the 10600a driver and you cannot disable 2.1 without losing the sound.

I don't have that. I can disable/enable 2.1, there is sound over the headphones or laptop speakers.

I don't use any settings at all in Windows. This is not for Windows.

Also, with EQ settings I got the sound to be decent. It's not great, but if default is terrible, now at least it's decent.

Skree
08-15-2012, 01:38 PM
SO, you have the 10600a driver and you cannot disable 2.1 without losing the sound.

I don't have that. I can disable/enable 2.1, there is sound over the headphones or laptop speakers.

I don't use any settings at all in Windows. This is not for Windows.

Also, with EQ settings I got the sound to be decent. It's not great, but if default is terrible, now at least it's decent.

Hmm... i don't like how this sounds... it seems very much like i indeed have faulty speakers then. I might be forced to try and restore my computer to default settings, just to test it...

Damn.

Anywy, yes, with 10600a drivers if i disable 2.1 i get no sound at all... if you instead DO get sound, i have a problem.

I'll update after restoring my system.

c_man
08-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Maybe you have a corrupt driver. I'm not exactly sure what would be the best way to do a clean install for it.

Skree
08-15-2012, 02:12 PM
I am formatting the computer and doing a factory reset. If it doesn't work then and there... faulty speakers.

I am not even sure to use Asus warranty for that... i had horrendous experiences with tech support guys in the past.

I called asus support for italy... and know what they told me?

"yeah... uh... save all your data and factory reset". Just like this. A support guy, a person PAID to give help, just suggests to format when there are alternatives?

He did not even ask for driver versions or for intermediate steps. Just "yeah, format your pc".

yes, i am doing it now after trying everything else, but a support technician shouldn't offer a factory reset as the first and only solution.

Well, i digress. I would say i am almost finished in resetting the computer, i'll tell how and if the audio works.

Skree
08-15-2012, 02:54 PM
...it's the speakers.

Factory reset done, same issues. The speakers are faulty. I am not even sure to use the warranty to have the computer repaired... i fear i will give it to asus with speakers not working, and i'll get back a refurbished computer wich will implode after a month.

c_man
08-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Factory reset means you have this problem with that driver as well. And if yu update, you still have the problem.

Is there any way to do a clean install, even with a trial version of Windows?

Skree
08-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Bought a soundbar from hercules for portables, 4 drivers, usb device.

Works fine now, better this than getting refurbished stuff.