View Full Version : G53SX Performance issues

reegad
08-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Hey, i've got some performance issues with my asus g53sx

i7 2ghz
geforce 560m
12gb ram
750gb hdd

Im getting really low and choppy fps in games, even on the LOWEST setting possible, some examples:

All Points Bulletin: Reloaded (40 fps but often spikes to 20)
Battlefield 3 (30-40fps on lowest settings, 25-30fps on highest settings)
Borderlands
Arma 2
gta iv

I see videos on youtube of people with the same laptop running the same games but on high settings without any trouble at all, my drivers are up to date, i've tried throttlestop, ive tried the intel boost crap.
Any help at all is appreciated.

cl-scott
08-14-2012, 09:28 PM
That CAN be the sign of a HDD on its way out, but before we go leaping to scary conclusions, have you made sure your system is free of malware, blowing out dust from vents, and things of that sort of nature?

reegad
08-14-2012, 09:40 PM
i dont think its the hdd as i have recently replaced it ( couldnt get a new one from asus because the problems with my old one wasnt constant, only shut off every 10min and erased data... )
But the hard-drive problems are solved now, and i have run scans with ms anti-vir but gonna run some of my old faithfull programs as well, i'll post an update later after the scans are finished.

ps, i work as it-tech so i know my way around computers, just cant figure out if this has got to do with my software or my laptop just going down.

Zygomorphic
08-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Try installing a different (newer) set of video drivers, as those can cause all sorts of problems. Generally, the latest ones from nVidia are the best to run, since they have the most recent performance tweaks and bug-fixes.

reegad
08-14-2012, 10:00 PM
ah, forgot to mention, i've updated all the drivers to the newest releases

graphics, chipset, audio, wlan, lan, cardreader, usb etc

got graphics drivers from nvidias site (so its not the super old one from asus)

Zygomorphic
08-14-2012, 10:56 PM
OK, do you have a hybrid drive? That may potentially cause something.

unclewebb
08-15-2012, 04:13 AM
Can you post a screen shot of how you have ThrottleStop setup and can you post a log file from ThrottleStop while gaming?

Some people post, "I've tried ThrottleStop" but they don't set it up properly or don't know what the numbers in the log file are trying to tell them.

ThrottleStop 5.00
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/

Check the Log File option, go play a game, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop. Go into the Log folder, open up the log file and Copy and Paste the data to www.pastebin.com and then post a link here so I can have a look.

ThrottleStop has been able to solve a lot of throttling issues on these laptops so give it a try. Remember to check off GPU monitoring in the Options window before logging any data.

reegad
08-16-2012, 01:04 PM
actually im one of those.. i have no idea what im doing with throttlestop....
and i've tried running some of the games on my old desktop

5 years old..
intel core 2 3.16ghz
4gb ddr2 ram
ati hd4870 1gb

i have tested APB:RELOADED
and it runs the game smooth on MAXIMUM with 40-60fps
and my laptop with
i7 quad 2ghz
12gb ddr3 ram
gefroce 560m 2gb
runs it on LOWEST with 30-40fps and a ton of lagspikes..
runs it on MAXIMUM with 15fps and a ton of lagspikes..

GTA IV runs at lower fps
BF3 RUNS SMOOTHER but lower fps (no spikes)

And i do have a hybrid drive, but i turned that **** off