PDA

View Full Version : New G75 - Unable to Install/Boot From SSD

Pulski
08-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Hi all. New owner here, but I'm an IT guy, so feel free to jargon me to death.

I very recently bought a G75 and decided to upgrade to an OCZ Vertex 3 (240GB). Unfortunately, nothing I have done has allowed it to boot from the SSD. I'm still on the 207 BIOS.

I have tried (with secure delete after each attempt):
Copying my OS partition to the SSD and repairing via a Windows 7 Disc.
Running a full restore from the recovery DVDs to the SSD. (Admittedly, I hadn't seen the post about updating the version prior to burning them, but I don't believe this is at fault).
Installing Windows 7 as a clean install. (Home Premium SP1)

In every case, the process seems to go fine up until the first reboot. From there on I can't get it to work. I did, once, have it get to "Starting Windows", but it soon went to a black screen and just sat there.

I know the drive works because after doing a recovery I put my original drive back in to boot it and everything on the SSD was accessible. I can read, write, etc. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what is going on. Using the stock drive, everything seems fine. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've tried reading through the forums, but I believe I've tried everything there and "SSD" is too short of a search term.

john_from_ohio
08-14-2012, 11:53 PM
I very recently bought a G75 and decided to upgrade to an OCZ Vertex 3 (240GB). Unfortunately, nothing I have done has allowed it to boot from the SSD. I'm still on the 207 BIOS.

A bunch of people in this forum have had problems with OCZ drives in the G75/G55 series. A few people have reported success ... not very many.

The Intel 520 series is what is in mine. No body reporting problems with intel or samsung ssds.

mrwolf
08-15-2012, 01:22 AM
Hmm.. i dunno, i dont think its to do with OCZ tho. Could be the way you install/configure it.

What i did with my OCZ vertex 4 was as follows:

First i took my secondary drive out and replaced it with the SSD and booted up.

I then configured the drive in disk manager and went ahead and installed the latest OCZ firmware.

Restarted and started tripping out because it had disappeared from my device manager (could not detect SSD)

I restarted again and it was back, so i went ahead with the next step of the firmware update and then restarted again.

Everything seemed fine, so i once again re-configured the drive in disk manager (i configured it so there is no disk partitions, forgot the name for it, i think it was mbt but you can check) then shut down and then put the OCZ in the primary slot and left the secondary slot empty, closed it all up and booted up.

I booted up with a windows 7 ultimate edition install disk that i had burned with Daemon tools lite and proceeded with the installation.

And its been workin fine ever since..

Hope it helps bro

rewben
08-15-2012, 02:42 AM
are you using windows sp1? i read that you should use windows sp1 to do the fresh install.

however, it's still weird because the recovery disks should restore everything.

i have a vertex 3 (120gb) but it's my storage drive.

c_man
08-15-2012, 08:41 AM
What do you know about MBR and GPT?

Try a clean install on SSD without UEFI Boot (see BIOS options).

Pulski
08-15-2012, 02:38 PM
What do you know about MBR and GPT?

Try a clean install on SSD without UEFI Boot (see BIOS options).

This got me thinking of one option I had missed. I copied the partition to the SSD again and ran Startup Repair from the NON-UEFI installer. When I had run it UEFI it told me that the installation I was trying to repair was incompatible with the Disc I was using (Win7 SP1). I reran it without UEFI and it was able to repair it.

Thank you for everyone's suggestions.

For anyone finding this and having the same problem cloning their drives, this is the final procedure that worked for me:

1. Clone your OS partition to your new drive. I used a GParted live CD to shrink my OS partition and copy it.
2. Remove your original Hard Disk.
3. Boot from a Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 disc. http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso
4. In my case, my windows install was not listed. Click Cancel to proceed to the full Repair menu.
5. Choose "Startup Repair" and follow the prompts.
6. Reboot for great justice and SSD deliciousness.

From here, you can put your old HD back in on the secondary and format it for data storage.

mrwolf
08-15-2012, 02:45 PM
:D good to hear man ! i had a feeling it would be somethin todo with MBR and GPT.. i remember setting mine to MBR (non UEFI) and had no problems..

Also it is recommended to install the intel rapid store technology.. apparently it keeps ur disks safe and possibly makes performance a little bit better

Enjoy the speeeeed

rewben
08-15-2012, 03:40 PM
good to hear that!

Pulski
08-16-2012, 05:20 PM
And back to square one. After installing Windows Updates I pulled the drive out to copy over my files from my desktop and it's back to not booting again. All of the data is there and readable. It just won't *boot*.

Any more suggestions from anyone?

rewben
08-17-2012, 06:06 AM
maybe you should wipe the ssd clean and exchange it for a new one or other brands (intel, samsung) because it's weird. i found this video just now, and they claimed they were using 240gb vertex 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBM8Uuffohw

Apexing
08-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Sorry Im a bit confused.
You have a regular HDD that came with the laptop correct? and you bought a SSD which you put in the laptop ? meaning both hdd spaces are in use.
You then just copied your windows from the hdd to the ssd ? ( I myself used this software "Paragon migrate os to ssd" when I placed a SSD in mine)
You somehow got it working and installed windows updates, you then took the SSD out to copy files from desktop onto it ? have you changed the boot order in the bios ?

mrwolf
08-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Yes you must consider the boot order in BIOS.. You can change his in BIOS as 'Boot Priority'

If you wanna test it in a simple way.. boot you system with only ur SSD inside and not the HDD

nocat
08-18-2012, 06:40 AM
This is a long shot, but...
Have you tried switching drive bays?

I'm planning to do exactly what you are trying to accomplish only using a Samsung SSD. (Plan to do this tomorrow in fact). I have asked experienced ASUS notebook builders whether bay 1 vs bay2 makes a difference. They we're not sure. No definitive answer. Their advise was to stick with Bay 1.

-nocat

john_from_ohio
08-18-2012, 10:37 AM

It probably does not make a difference but definitely worth trying ... my Intel 520 is in the ( same bay ) as the original hard drive was.

Dang a 512 gb samsung 830 ... that's sweet!!

Pulski
08-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Sorry Im a bit confused.
You have a regular HDD that came with the laptop correct? and you bought a SSD which you put in the laptop ? meaning both hdd spaces are in use.
You then just copied your windows from the hdd to the ssd ? ( I myself used this software "Paragon migrate os to ssd" when I placed a SSD in mine)
You somehow got it working and installed windows updates, you then took the SSD out to copy files from desktop onto it ? have you changed the boot order in the bios ?

The above is pretty much correct. I used a GParted live boot to copy the partition over.

Boot order is correct, and I've tried booting specifically by hitting Esc.

If you wanna test it in a simple way.. boot you system with only ur SSD inside and not the HDD

Have done. No go. Most of my testing has been done with only the SSD installed.

Yep, both bays.

Trying to install Ubuntu now since I'm running out of other options. I may be returning the drive though if this won't work.

john_from_ohio
08-18-2012, 04:10 PM
I may be returning the drive though if this won't work.

Looks like just over 200 bucks right now for 256 gb sammy 830 and about same price for 180 gb intel 520. Both are nice drives and as far as I know no one reporting any problems with them in the G55/G75 series.

Pulski
08-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Looks like just over 200 bucks right now for 256 gb sammy 830 and about same price for 180 gb intel 520. Both are nice drives and as far as I know no one reporting any problems with them in the G55/G75 series.

Well, Ubuntu isn't working either. It installed fine and then upon reboot it would get to grub, but then error out.

Unfortunately, Newegg will only do a replacement, not a return, so I guess I get to try again with a new one. If this doesn't work hopefully I can get them to do some sort of exchange for a different model.

john_from_ohio
08-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Unfortunately, Newegg will only do a replacement, not a return, so I guess I get to try again with a new one. If this doesn't work hopefully I can get them to do some sort of exchange for a different model.

Well double check of course but these days best buy offers a 30 day ( I think ) no questions asked return policy.

So ... just saying ... while you are fighting it out with Newegg ( whatever that is ) you could be testing your system out with an intel 520 installation. Looks like microcenter or amazon is the cheapest source for a reasonably sized 520.

Pulski
08-20-2012, 06:24 PM
At this point I think I'm going to just wait until this one gets replaced. I need a break from sitting on installation screens. The original HDD still works fine. If I can't get the replacement drive to work, I'll try picking one of a different type locally.

Apexing
08-21-2012, 07:10 AM
keeps us updated with if it works once you get your replacement drive

Gordan
08-24-2012, 12:49 AM
I bought a new Sandisk Extreme 240GB for my G53SW and got it yesterday.
I have the exact same issue as you.
Windows installs but can't boot. It did reach 'Starting Windows' screen a couple of times but just dropped me to a blank screen.
Ubuntu drops me to grub as well.

So frustrating! I just hope it's not a motherboard issue.
I guess I'll just send it back and try a replacement.

GottiBoi55
08-24-2012, 04:08 AM
I have the Intel 520 series 180 GB drive, and i have no problem with it.
I'm using the stock drive as data drive with two partitions.
I'm thinking about getting a second drive, and running in raid configuration.

Pulski
08-24-2012, 08:27 PM
I guess I'll just send it back and try a replacement.

That's what I'm doing. Sent out my drive for RMA yesterday, so hopefully it was just a faulty drive.

Interesting note though, the Sandisk and my Vertex 3 are both SandForce SF-2281 based.

john_from_ohio
08-24-2012, 11:31 PM
The intel 520's are also sandforce based but with a whole bunch of intel tweaks/fixes to the code.

Intel put it thru a whole bunch of internal testing before releasing ... not sure at all how much of the intel firmware code fixes/changes were moved back out into where the code came from.

rewben
08-25-2012, 04:05 PM
for tweaktown's disclosure on the new lsi sandforce-based trim bug (http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4870/lsi_sandforce_5_series_ssd_firmware_trim_lost_and_ found_performance_investigated/index.html), some manufacturers are already putting up their fix.

kingston (http://www.tweaktown.com/news/25483/kingston_first_to_release_trim_fixing_fw_for_lsi_s andforce_based_ssds/index.html) was the first. sandisk (http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4895/sandisk_extreme_240gb_fixed_trim_solid_state_drive _review/index.html)'s is coming in a month.

only ssds with lsi sanforce series 5 controller are affected (<5.0.3). other older versions are not particularly affected.