PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Upgrade possibilities?

Alexraptor
08-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Got myself a G75VW today, one of the lower end models with a GTX 66M due to my limited budget.
But I would just like to know if it would be possible to have an ASUS certified workshop to upgrade the GPU to a 670m or something as well as replace the DVD burner with a Blu-Ray drive at a later date?

soulctcher
08-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Got myself a G75VW today, one of the lower end models with a GTX 66M due to my limited budget.
But I would just like to know if it would be possible to have an ASUS certified workshop to upgrade the GPU to a 670m or something as well as replace the DVD burner with a Blu-Ray drive at a later date?
I assume you mean you have a 660, not a 66. Both are moderate upgrades difficulty-wise. You should be aware that both would void your warranty due to how much you need to disassemble the machine. I think the only thing you have to keep in mind is the cooling for the GPU...you'll need to clean the cooling elements and re-apply some paste, if I'm not mistaken.

c_man
08-15-2012, 03:01 PM
I would keep the GPU, OC it to 670M numbers if you want. There is no point and I'm not even sure it's possible to get a 670M instead.

Maybe someone from Asus can tell us how to change the ODD. In a normal laptop it's like taking out one screw.

Shawnnepc
08-15-2012, 03:14 PM
I would keep the GPU, OC it to 670M numbers if you want. There is no point and I'm not even sure it's possible to get a 670M instead.

Maybe someone from Asus can tell us how to change the ODD. In a normal laptop it's like taking out one screw.

Overclocking will void the laptops warranty.

ASUS hasn't provided us with any information on if we can upgrade the 660m to the 670m after the fact.

I doubt will we be able to, as what GPU stock they would have after the production runs would be allocated to service / RMA.

I don't even know if re-sellers that aren't ASP can even request GPUs.

The ODD is simple enough to replace, I don't have in G75 in stock or on demo to check if that's even user serviceable. I will have to wait until I get home to check.

Alexraptor
08-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Would replacing the ODD void the warranty?

mrwolf
08-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Overclocking does not void warranty btw.. it only voids warranty if you actually damage or fry ur GPU by overclocking and exposing it to intense heat..

c_man
08-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Well, if you say "guys I've OC my components until they burst into flames, I want to use warranty", then it might void warranty.

If you use a decent OC method, keeping the protections on, warranty will be OK. I could run my laptop with exhaust blocked until ... well, until thermal protection would shut it down. Nothing bad happens. GPUs also have protections, driver would reset, system would down clock or even shut down. Don't hack the BIOS/vBIOS, don't mess with these protections and you will be fine. Make sure that the difference in temperature from stock to OC is not big.

jorlanm
08-15-2012, 03:58 PM
I would stick with the 660m...the 670m is faster but not that much...save your $300...the 660m has better efficiency and more overclockable anyway...

c_man
08-15-2012, 04:04 PM
It's more OC if you hack the vBIOS. I would not do that.

Alexraptor
08-15-2012, 04:25 PM
So any recommendations on good and warranty safe overclocking methods or tools?
Pretty much haven't overclocked desktop GPU's since my Nvidia GeForce 6800GTX, let alone laptop GPU's lol.

c_man
08-15-2012, 04:58 PM
See programs here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20511-GPU-670M-my-settings-and-usage

You need latest drivers - beta from Nvidia or these http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/win7x64/305.53 (the custom .inf goes into Display.Driver folder after Unzip)
OC did not work with the Asus driver I had, I never tested the July one.

You have different P-states, but don't worry. P0 is there. P0 is maximum performance state. You will be able to change the GPU clock directly (it's called Base clock offset in NvidiaInspector). There is a OC limit of +135Mhz. You can try it all the way up first and see temperatures from there. My 660M worked great with that.

You will have Boost to 1085Mhz. Some people run 660M much higher.

You can go above the +135 limit if you trick the card or hack the videoBIOS. I would not do that.

c_man
08-16-2012, 09:55 AM
replace the DVD burner with a Blu-Ray drive at a later date?

See step 2 here http://computerupgradeking.com/wiki/index.php?title=ASUS_G75VW_Disassembly_Manual

kiba
08-16-2012, 11:36 AM
honestly i had the 670m before switching to the 660m, im much happier w/ the newer kepler model over the 4 year old fermi... look it up, they run cooler & more stable, use less power and are more overclockable. IMO you got the better card

c_man
08-16-2012, 12:07 PM
It's not exactly identical. They got better in time.

Both will do about the same 675M numbers. But for 660M you have to trick the card to reach those. Best way would be a modded vBIOS. Now if anything goes wrong, there is no way to revert the changes and claim warranty. 670M does not have this problem.

670M is just as stable. It's a bit hotter and will eat a bit more power. That is it.