PDA

View Full Version : G75 battery drainage when laptop turned off

Rayearth
08-15-2012, 12:19 PM
The last time my laptop was turned on, the battery was fully loaded. I turned my G75 completely off and it was lying in my backpack for a whole week. After that the batter was almost entirely drained. This situation occurred again this day.

Is it normal that the battery is being drained when laptop is fully turned off?

c_man
08-15-2012, 12:45 PM
I've seen this as well, but on yours it's just too fast. Mine is around 1-2% a day. It's not normal, maybe Asus can fix it with a BIOS update.

'Till they do (if ever), just remove the battery if you plan not to use the laptop for a long time.

Zygomorphic
08-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Rechargeable batteries lose a few % per day even when sitting idle. My work laptop loses 25% in one week, so I would highly doubt that yours is normal.

c_man
08-15-2012, 01:54 PM
I need to test this more and see exactly how much. For him it's just too fast, I think it's not normal.

cdxliv
08-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Have you tried disabling Asus Ai Charge entirely? It has an option of charging devices while turned off and something wonky might have occurred there for it to lose charge so quickly.

c_man
08-24-2012, 05:51 PM
OK. I have finished my tests. I have tried everything, every single setting in BIOS and Windows I could find and think of.

It's time for Asus to take over and fix this.

Rayearth
08-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Asus won't do anything now, especially for customers who already bought their product. We can only hope that this won't happen in their future products. But still let's face the facts - it's 2012 and they still put a product on the market with a defect like this...

john_from_ohio
08-24-2012, 06:31 PM
OK. I have finished my tests. I have tried everything, every single setting in BIOS and Windows I could find and think of.

Well I guess it might be kind of helpful if you could at least summarize what you tested and what you found.

Telling everyone that it is time for Asus to fix this ... without giving any details of what it is that you think you found/confirmed/etc ... not going to get very far.

c_man
08-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Tests took from 15 'till 24th. Every single setting in BIOS and from Windows everything that was related to any power option.

Nothing fixed this.

john_from_ohio
08-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Nothing fixed this.

Fixed what?

How much power were you losing every night or how long did you run the testing ... sorry still not understanding exactly what you think you are testing. Did it lose the same amount of power every night or what?

c_man
08-24-2012, 07:33 PM
I did not just let it over night. This one loses more than the previous. It's >1% every 4h or so. Still lower then the guy in the OP here. It's just too much too fast. None of my other laptops do this.

There is one more thing I'll do, take the battery out and see if it loses power on its own.

dstrakele
08-24-2012, 07:48 PM
I wonder if Ai Charger Plus (or a USB Charger setting in the BIOS) powering the USB ports has something to do with the reported battery drain while the laptop is off. I have Ai Charger Plus configured to charge my phone when the laptop is off. It is also configured to stop charging once the battery level drains to 25%.

c_man
08-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Nope, I have set everything in BIOS, including that. Uninstall in Windows as well. Install. Disable. Every combination I could think of. Even the low power whatever it's called. I have tried even loading the defaults, just in case. I could try an older BIOS, but I'll have to trick the laptop since Asus does not allow older updates very easy. Now there are quite a few combinations in BIOS, I did my best to try them based on common sense. It might take a month or more to test all different combinations with BIOS and Windows.

c_man
08-25-2012, 06:58 AM
I took the battery out, it's 100%. So it's something in the laptop.