PDA

View Full Version : Asus G75V crashes performing simple tasks - any idea?

Michal
08-16-2012, 03:11 AM
Hello,

I have a serious problem with my brand new Asus G75V.

The problem is that while performing very basic operations it crashes (not a blue screen, it just stops responding and I have to switch the power off pressing the power button a few seconds or wait 15 minutes till the system recovers stability and gets responsive again but in a few moments in gets blocked again). It happens every 10 minutes.

Symptoms:
Only once the computer showed the blue screen and restarted.
Once I also noticed the following message: "Driver display Nvidia stopped responding and has recovered". The computer got blocked, non - responsive.
I have no viruses on the system (Panda Internet Security 2012 scan).
What seems important to me, it seems not to crash while in Safe Mode. Would it indicate a problem with a driver?
The hardware tests showed no errors. Especially there were no RAM problems (Memtest86 v4.0a) and no HD errors (Sea (Seagate) Tools for Windows; Windows checkdisc).

The performance tests give very good results. It seems to crash when I intend to start another process while the computer is still busy with the previous one, but the tasks are so simple (ex. renaming a file) that it just should not be like that.

First I did the F9 System Recovery, but it did not help.

My questions are especially:

Are there any diagnostic tools that may resolve the problem?
Should I update the Nvidia driver from Nvidia webpage?
Shall I allow Windows to update the drivers automatically? All or those that are not already installed?

In case of clean Windows installation, how should I proceed in order to install all the drivers for the computer, esp. in what order shall I install them?
Does the Asus Live Update install correct drivers automatically on a clean windows or is it capable of updating only already installed drivers?
Did anybody with the same problem try the clean Windows install? How did it work?

I am very grateful for any help, I just need to work with video edition.
Michał Pełczyński

Myk SilentShadow
08-16-2012, 03:20 AM
Yes, most certainly update the Nvidia drivers. Just make sure when you go through the process, tick the box for a clean install..don't worry you won't miss the option :)

Your best bet, if you wish to do a clean install. you will need to download the Win7 ISO from MSDN and burn it to a DVD. Then, go to the asus website, do a search for your laptop and download all the latest drivers that you *only* need, that way you don't have any unwanted stuff installed. There is no specific order to install, though I tend to install NIC first for Windows updates. The Live Update should work, though I cannot tell you from experience as I do not use it.

Shawnnepc
08-16-2012, 03:51 AM
What is your laptops FULL model number? (It's located on the bottom below the bar code)

Are you using a SSD?

c_man
08-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Remove Asus live update.

Disable Hibernation.

Update Nvidia drivers to latest beta just for a test.

theevilisback
08-16-2012, 08:33 AM
I had the same problem you had. I did everything they are asking you to do, and it really didn't solve my problems (sadly)

If you are still under warranty with wherever you bought it, return it for a new one. My first one had so many problems Best buy was willing to waive the 45 day return policy, give me a brand new laptop, and I haven't had any problems with this.

Chances are you got a bad apple of the bunch, but I can safely say this thing is one of the greatest laptops I've ever owned, and pretty close to the best computer I've ever owned (sorry, custom built sweat and tears will always win) :D

Michal
08-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Thank you all!

I installed the clean Windows, the drivers (without the Asus Live Update, since the technical service told me that this is faulty software).
I hope it will work with no more problems.

Since I do not use the Asus Live Update anymore,
in Windows 7 (Home premium):
advanced system settings/hardware/device installation settings
I have the options:
update drivers automatically /only if not installed / never
which should I choose?

BTW, I was adviced to look at this page:
http://forums.pctweakers.net/showthread.php/129-ASUS-G75VW-Clean-Install-Guide
which has some usefull tips for those like me,

best,
Michal

c_man