PDA

View Full Version : G75VW, disc noise.

Techinstein
08-16-2012, 09:29 PM
I just wanted to make sure its not me. But say you are installing a game through a disc, is it normal for it to make clunk clunk sounds which I assume is the disc moving around and around so fast. But I am not sure. So anyway all I wanted to know if this is normal?

john_from_ohio
08-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Sounds pretty normal ... if your hard drive makes ticking sounds ... under normal usage ... that ain't good.

mrwolf
08-16-2012, 10:23 PM
I have a very faint ticking sound on my HDD but it is very faint. I have the same thing on my bro's G75 with the 7200rpm HDD.. Its only noticable when under heavy load, for example i turn all the sound of while either transfering big files or playing a 1080p film in a very very quite room. and to hear it properlly i gotta put my ear to where the HDD is located :S ? Also it doesnt tick rapidly like a clock, its quite sporadic, single very very quite tick. i thought this was normal of a very fast HDD no?. Did a bunch of diagnostic checks for the HDD and apparently it is normal for the 7200rpm ones, is this correct..? Also the HDD works fine in general.. Should i be concerned about this...?

Also when i searched up on this issues a while back, apparently the 'bad ticking noise' is much louder and more noticable.. Also people have had harddrive failures on driver that dont produce any abnormal sound.. :s

john_from_ohio
08-17-2012, 01:34 AM
i thought this was normal of a very fast HDD no?. Did a bunch of diagnostic checks for the HDD and apparently it is normal for the 7200rpm ones, is this correct..? Also the HDD works fine in general.. Should i be concerned about this...?

Also when i searched up on this issues a while back, apparently the 'bad ticking noise' is much louder and more noticable.. Also people have had harddrive failures on driver that dont produce any abnormal sound.. :s

Yup sounds normal to me man ... boy everyone is worried here ... first question is "do you have a backup strategy in place" ... if so ... no worries at all.

The failure rate on hard drives overall is quite low but they all will fail ... eventually ... if you run them for 20 years in a row.

Of course ... yes ... drives can fail without giving any warning signs or sounds.

btanz
09-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Last week I bought a G55VW with the 750GB drive and I have a concern about the noise my hard drive is making as well. In my case it doesn't seem to be associated with heavy disk usage. I've been copying some very large files from another system and that doesn't cause it to happen. But now, when it's just sitting here it is rattling and weezing. (I was going to attach an MP3 file demonstrating the noise it's making, but apparently that's "invalid".) Is anyone else experiencing this?

ZeroBarrier
09-30-2012, 10:15 PM
I think everyone should remember that if they are mechanical HDD's with spinning disks and moving parts, guess what, they're going to make sounds. You're more likely to notice tgese sounds in notebook 2.5" HDD's because they drive enclosure is smaller/thinner, you're usually closer to your notebook than a desktop, and the notebook itself is a smaller enclosure than a desktop.

Your HDD's are making noises? Good, that means they're working and not broken. Worry when they stop making noises, because if they do, then that means they no longer work, lol.

ZeroBarrier
09-30-2012, 10:17 PM
I think everyone should remember that if they are mechanical HDD's with spinning disks and moving parts, guess what, they're going to make sounds. You're more likely to notice these sounds in notebook 2.5" HDD's because they drive enclosure is smaller/thinner, you're usually closer to your notebook than a desktop, and the notebook itself is a smaller enclosure than a desktop.

Your HDD's are making noises? Good, that means they're working and not broken. Worry when they stop making noises, because if they do, then that means they no longer work, lol.

GottiBoi55
10-01-2012, 01:24 AM
I just wanted to make sure its not me. But say you are installing a game through a disc, is it normal for it to make clunk clunk sounds which I assume is the disc moving around and around so fast. But I am not sure. So anyway all I wanted to know if this is normal?

Yeah, my optical drive make a sound from the disk spinning so fast.
sounds like it's going to take off and fly.....lol.
that's normal!

Techinstein
10-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Yeah guys thanks for all of your help