PDA

View Full Version : Bios update broke Raid 0

FearlessG1
08-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Hi all, not sure what possible solutions there is to this. I updated my bios using easy flash, loaded the bios defaults, set my SATA to RAID, and my raid status is now "Failed" one of my disks shows "member disk (0)" the second disk shows "Non-RAID Disk"

I threw in the stock hard drive and reverted the bios back to the previously install version (couldnt use easy flash as it was telling me the build date was too old). I threw my RAID drives back in and the problem still exists. Any suggestions on how to go about fixing this issue?

My system is the best buy G75VW
2) 256gb Crucial M4's that were performing greatly in RAID 0 until bios update broke the RAID.

Thanks all.

RecceDG
08-17-2012, 06:58 PM
The RAID probably isn't broken per sae; it is probably a case of the configuration in the BIOS not being right.

Update the BIOS again, then set drives to RAID. Put RAID drives back in (same order!) and on boot press ctrl-i to get the Storage Management interface.

DG

FearlessG1
08-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. I updated the bios back to the latest version. set sata to RAID, reinstalled my raid drives, and i am still receiving the "Failed" RAID status.

john_from_ohio
08-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Hi all, not sure what possible solutions there is to this. I updated my bios using easy flash, loaded the bios defaults, set my SATA to RAID, and my raid status is now "Failed" one of my disks shows "member disk (0)" the second disk shows "Non-RAID Disk"

I threw in the stock hard drive and reverted the bios back to the previously install version (couldnt use easy flash as it was telling me the build date was too old). I threw my RAID drives back in and the problem still exists. Any suggestions on how to go about fixing this issue?

My system is the best buy G75VW
2) 256gb Crucial M4's that were performing greatly in RAID 0 until bios update broke the RAID.

Thanks all.

I would not do BIOS updates "regularly" in a configuration like yours. Do a full system image to external before anything like that.

If you have a full system image I would think about:
1) using latest BIOS ( since backing out BIOS updates is very iffy in most cases ... ).
2) re-initializing both drives and delete the existing RAID configuration and re-create it from scratch.
3) do a full system restore booting up from a Win 7 install disk that has SP1 already on it and recovering from the system image.

Followed of course if the above procedure works by another full system image.

FearlessG1
08-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Just an update if anyone else has this issue. There was no solution. Luckily I keep my stuff backed up. I updated back to the latest bios, and reinstalled. The only positive from this is that it gave me the chance to reinstall windows without GPT so my G75 can backup to windows home server now like all my other computers. For some reason WHS cannot backup drives with GPT partitions. So I am rocking the MBR and no longer have to manually backup as I had to before this whole situation.

Woots
08-20-2012, 03:04 PM
/Cautionary Soap-Box Mode *ON*

This is precisily why I am not Bios update happy anymore. I learned my lesson multiple times in years past with issues far worse than this.

It's best to 100% avoid all BIOS updates unless you have a known problem and are nearly 100% sure a BIOS update is all that is going to fix your machine.

If the intent of the BIOS update is to "eek out" a mild performance upgrade to have slightly higher benchmarks, or 3 more FPS in some game of the of the month....it's not even worth the inherent gamble you take each time you update.

Save BIOS updates for the big stuff, where gambling is necessary cause all other options fail... like building a new rig and the system refuses to boot with the hardware you picked... or you're updating an old rig with new hardware and need BIOS to make the parts compatible... or you get constant Blue Screens and need more stability... these are valid reasons for risking BIOS update.

As for the rest of my drivers I update them crazily thanks to the fact I always keep image back ups of my OS's I have no fear of a OS meltdown.

However, BIOS can brick your system and it's not so easy coming back from that if it does. (This has happened to me once in the past so I am all to familiar with how easy a casual update day can turn into 1 week plus headache of rebuilding your rig.)

Having said that I have done successful BIOS updates more times than I can count over my years of building machines, but drama can strike with the process.. never take it lightly or expect things will be flawless when you do it.

/Cautionary Soap-Box Mode *OFF*

RecceDG
08-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. I updated the bios back to the latest version. set sata to RAID, reinstalled my raid drives, and i am still receiving the "Failed" RAID status.

But did you use Ctrl-i at boot to get into the storage management screen? That's where you configure RAID in the BIOS.

It's a 2-part process. Changing the base BIOS from AHCI to RAID tells the BIOS that you will use RAID, then the Crtl-i storage management screen tells the BIOS how the RAID array is configured.

You need BOTH steps.

DG

FearlessG1
08-22-2012, 12:57 PM
When set the bios to RAID, the storage management screen recognized a failed raid. Pressing Ctrl-i only gave me options of deleting a member disk, or setting up a new RAID. no option to add the non-member disk back into the raid, and no recovery options (it's RAID 0).

So lesson learned for everyone is make sure you keep everything backed up in general and especially before a bios update because I would have lost everything (RAID 0 has burned me in the past so I was backing up often). Again the only positive take away is now I don't have to manually backup anymore as WHS takes care of that for me now with the MBR rather than GPT partition.