PDA

View Full Version : [UX31A]Windows 8 feedback

Kris-I
08-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Hello,

Someone installed Windows 8 on Zenbook UX31A ? What at about drivers ?

Thanks,

corbin
08-23-2012, 11:04 AM
I installed win8 today, windows 7 drivers from the asus site work ok

HiVizMan
08-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Thank you corbin for joining so that you could respond. :)

salada2k
08-26-2012, 11:10 AM
I had a slightly different experience. I installed Windows 8, and for the most part it worked. I had about 7 devices not detected under Device Manager... I tried to install some drivers from the ASUS website but got errors about the drivers having known compatibility issues with Windows 8, so that's about as far as I went. I noticed that although Windows 8 ran incredibly well (and I really like it!) that things like power management werent working well so I ended up reinstalling Windows 7. Corbin, did you just ignore the compatibility errors and install anyway? After a few days usage how are things going, like battery life for example? Thanks.

salada2k
08-27-2012, 07:36 AM
So I reinstalled Windows 8 again now I had a little more time on my hands. In the end, I did manage to get rid of all unknown devices in Device Manager.

Although I had trouble installing the following utilities:

Wireless Console 3
Intel Bluetooth Drivers
Power4GearHybrid utility (fails to install widget)
USB 3.0 Drivers
Intel ProSet Tools

I had issues with WiFi not switching on. Then, I for the second time (a number of reboots later) tried installing the Wireless Console 3, and this time it worked.. No error message about compatibility. And now WiFi works fine. Go figure! Although I have no unknown devices in dev mgr, I'm not sure if USB 3 is working. I dont have any USB 3 devices currently to test, so hopefully someone else can confirm. Cheers.

_
08-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Most notebook drivers and ASUS software are being launched when Windows 8 officially launches in October. The only Win 8 out now is the 90 day trial designed for developers not end users sorry.

Zygomorphic
08-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Most notebook drivers and ASUS software are being launched when Windows 8 officially launches in October. The only Win 8 out now is the 90 day trial designed for developers not end users sorry.

Uh, the RTM is out to manufacturers and MSDN subscribers now. But you are right, it is targetted at developers, not end users.

salada2k
08-27-2012, 12:32 PM
I have an MSDN subscription. And this release is RTM, so it's targeted at everyone. There will be nothing different come October 26th. Except of course official drivers, which is of course the point of this whole thread: Sharing experiences with drivers.

I'm not 100% sure if InstantON is working.. It seems like it may be. I put the computer to sleep, and shortly thereafter the whole thing is switched off completely. It seems like it goes to RAM first, and then disk. The time period for this on Windows 7 was quite long, whereas now it seems very fast with no way of controlling it. Not necessarily a big deal. Overall things are working well.

salada2k
09-06-2012, 04:10 AM
Since there are basically no threads about this on the internet, I thought I would try and keep this one going.

After doing some further testing, I can confirm a couple of things aren't working:

*Tested*
- Rapid Charging. No matter what I do, I get NO power supplied to the USB ports whether plugged in or on battery, despite what settings I choose in ASUS USB Charger Plus.
- I connected a USB 3.0 External HDD Dock and plugged in a 320GB WD Caviar Blue. Maximum transfer speed was about 300Mbps, or 3/4 of USB 2.0's theoretical maximum. The Intel USB 3.0 driver is blocked from installation, instead you have the Microsoft USB 3.0 driver out of the box. I only have this USB 3.0 device above to test, but I would have thought the HDD was capable of reading and writing faster than that, and since the copy was so consistent in terms of speed, it looks like the bottleneck is not the HDD. On top of that in Device Manager, USB 3.0 devices list as being connected to the 'Generic USB Hub' which reports its state as being 'High Speed', not 'Super Speed'. So all signs point to USB 3.0 being broken. Would be interested in someone's experience who has other USB 3.0 devices to try.
- Intel BlueTooth Drivers refuse to install
- Intel WiFi drivers refuse to install, although I did find an updated driver on a driver site which did update the version of the out-of-the-box Centrino driver, but that seemed to make WiFi a little worse so I uninstalled it.
- The FN + F keys seem to have some kind of wierd delay. After installing the ATK Package from ASUS's website, most things seem to work, but all of a sudden you might do Fn + F5 to reduce brightness, tap it a couple of times, but only the first tap is registered. Then 20 seconds later the second tap is registered...

*Untested*
- Intel Rapid Start/Instant On. OK so the suspend to RAM part is fine, and it does 'resume' in 2 seconds. I created the 4GB special partition and installed the Intel Driver which appeared to work fine. So what is supposed to happen is that when you run out battery whilst you are suspended to RAM, the data is moved to the 4GB partition instead, thus enabling you to resume your session 'months later'. I am still testing if that part works.

If there's anyone else out there running this config, then please, share your experiences. Thanks very much.

p.s. Incidentally, although ASUS have taken down the Windows 8 x64 drivers section for the UX31a from their support website, the manual links under the Windows 7 area actually link to manuals written for Windows 8 (at least the English manual anyway).

salada2k
09-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Update:

I'll have to apologise about my first point with regards to fast charging. I had my phone plugged into the left USB port, fast charging is only enabled on the right USB port, as signified with the tiny little lightning bolt logo.

With regards to Instant ON/Rapid Start, After draining my battery to about 5% Windows decided to suspend to RAM. After starting it back up and draining the batter to 2%, it did in fact hibernate to the special 4GB partition. Prior to this, I noticed I had a hiberfil.sys file in the root of C:, so I first disabled that with a powercfg -h off, and then rebooted. I verified the hiberfil.sys no longer existed before trying the above tests. Under normal operating conditions, data is moved from RAM to SSD hibernation partition after being asleep for 4 hours. Resume time from disk was about 5 seconds which I thought was pretty impressive.

salada2k
09-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Latest BIOS 212

On Windows 8, it seems to fix the ambient light sensor, I notice that holding my finger over the sensor seems to have an effect now on controlling the brightness of the screen, and the backlit keyboard lights.

Also, USB 3.0 seems to be working better (or perhaps just working full stop). File copy speed from my internal SSD to an SSD connected via a USB 3.0 cradle, increased from about ~300Mbps to ~600Mbps.

Berzerker
09-11-2012, 05:53 AM
The 212 BIOS did help a bit, but the only issue I'm having now is that my fan will randomly spin up to max speed every 30s to a minute, usually out of sleep or hibernate. It's quite annoying. Has anyone come across this or know a fix?

salada2k
09-12-2012, 05:54 AM
Hi Berzerker, I do not have that issue? Have you successfully installed the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework drivers? I would suggest checking your temperatures as well using something like HWInfo64, but since youre coming out of sleep/hibernate, that's not going to be the issue.

And finally, the new BIOS settings will not kick in, until you enter the BIOS and do a 'Restore Defaults', save, then exit, and then power off the notebook completely before powering it back on.

Berzerker
09-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Hi Berzerker, I do not have that issue? Have you successfully installed the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework drivers? I would suggest checking your temperatures as well using something like HWInfo64, but since youre coming out of sleep/hibernate, that's not going to be the issue.

And finally, the new BIOS settings will not kick in, until you enter the BIOS and do a 'Restore Defaults', save, then exit, and then power off the notebook completely before powering it back on.

Yes, the Intel DP & TF are installed. And yeah, temps are fine. I've done the full BIOS restore and shut down, so it should be fine. I *did* upgrade from Windows 7, did you do a clean install? That might be an issue.

salada2k
09-13-2012, 03:16 AM
Yes mate I did a clean install. Mind you I had no issues with the fans on Windows 7 either not sure if you did. I've noticed a number of people have had this complaint.

Also, have you tried hooking up to an external screen via an micro HDMI - HDMI cable? I havent been able to get that to work yet (could be the cable).

Berzerker
09-13-2012, 03:28 AM
Yes mate I did a clean install. Mind you I had no issues with the fans on Windows 7 either not sure if you did. I've noticed a number of people have had this complaint.

Also, have you tried hooking up to an external screen via an micro HDMI - HDMI cable? I havent been able to get that to work yet (could be the cable).

No, I haven't had any issues with it on Win7. Microsoft actually *just* put out a Win8 update which *seems* have fixed it (crosses fingers). So, we'll see. I haven't tried using HDMI, but next time I get a chance, I'll try and report back. Thanks.

Edit: scratch that. Didn't fix it. I'll try a clean install over the weekend and see if that helps at all.

salada2k
09-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Good luck mate, looking forward to your feedback. :)

Kris-I
10-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Still no news from Asus for Official drivers for Windows 8 :(

savini
10-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Some drivers ara avaliable in the driver download page now :)
Maybe there will be more when the official release of Win8 is out

Berzerker
10-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Looks like just BIOS copied exactly from the Win 7 drivers list. Doesn't really count...

Zygomorphic
10-22-2012, 02:23 AM
Looks like just BIOS copied exactly from the Win 7 drivers list. Doesn't really count...

The BIOS isn't likely to change, all that should change are the drivers (and even some of those might not).

tomsavini
10-26-2012, 02:55 AM
Now. Lot's of drivers - happiness

b8xter
10-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Now. Lot's of drivers - happiness

I'm have a ASUS UX31A and i upgrade to Windows 8 64 bit. but im having similar issues to what some of the users were have during beta stages.

My main issue is i dont have any USB 3.0 drivers that i can install (windows forced me to unistall these beofre upgrading to Windows 8). On the ASUS supports drivers and download area of this laptop the usb driver is dated from the 18/07/2012. i have noticed that they have updated 'MOST' of the drivers but not all of them.

Does any have a work around for this? or does anyone know when ASUS (Intel) will be releasing the USB 3.0 for windows 8 64 bit?

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

10-28-2012, 01:09 PM
re: above, Windows 8 has USB 3.0 drivers built in, like Windows 7 had 2.0 built in.

As for myself, I'm on the latest bios 212 and:

Does anyone know what I might need to install next to eliminate my last "unknown device in windows 8"? I have installed the following drivers:
1. Realtek Card reader
2. intel wifi
3. intel bluetooth
4. intel rapid storage
5. Intel rapid start
6. intel widi
7. intel dynamic platform and thermal framework
8. graphics
9. Realtek Sound
10. The atkcpi (or whatever) and smartgesture
11. Instant ON
12. Power4gear
13. Intel chipset drivers
14. Intel management interface

I'm thinking it should be on of the other ASUS utilities but I'm OCD about what I install and I don't want to install something that I don't actually need. Thanks!

salada2k
10-29-2012, 06:08 AM
Go into device manager, right click the unknown item, click properties, then details, then select 'Hardware Ids' from the drop down menu, and then tell us the string starting with 'VEN' (or ACPI).

salada2k
10-29-2012, 06:12 AM
I'm have a ASUS UX31A and i upgrade to Windows 8 64 bit. but im having similar issues to what some of the users were have during beta stages.

My main issue is i dont have any USB 3.0 drivers that i can install (windows forced me to unistall these beofre upgrading to Windows 8). On the ASUS supports drivers and download area of this laptop the usb driver is dated from the 18/07/2012. i have noticed that they have updated 'MOST' of the drivers but not all of them.

Does any have a work around for this? or does anyone know when ASUS (Intel) will be releasing the USB 3.0 for windows 8 64 bit?

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure you don't have the Microsoft USB drivers installed? They ship with Windows 8.

salada2k
10-30-2012, 04:27 AM
I also have an unknown device in device manager. The ID is "ACPI\VE_ATK&DEV_4001"

I've installed the ATK Package, but this has not resolved the issue. Seems like the current "ATKACPI" driver (V1.0.0023, 17th October) is not installing correctly.

remixtech
10-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Same problem here for "ACPI\VE_ATK&DEV_4001"

Another problem is the Fan which is too much ON. I think it's draining battery.

Ender66
10-31-2012, 11:58 AM
I also have an unknown device in device manager. The ID is "ACPI\VE_ATK&DEV_4001"

I've installed the ATK Package, but this has not resolved the issue. Seems like the current "ATKACPI" driver (V1.0.0023, 17th October) is not installing correctly.

Well that is the wifi dedicated button + led, install the ASUS Wireless Radio Control in utilities, this should fix it.

10-31-2012, 02:28 PM
Hey guys, Asus just released another driver, the Wireless Console one, that eliminates the unknown device and lets the wifi hotkey work.

Ender66
11-01-2012, 10:13 AM
A new driver for the trackpad has just been released.....;)

Bumbibear
11-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Since I installed windows 8 on my UX31A I've not been able to use my USB ports at all!

In Device manager i've been able to determine that it's the USB host controllers that are missing, and since Asus isn't providing drivers for Windows 8 I can't find any solution.

This is the hardware ID:s i've recovered:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&SUBSYS_15171043&REV_04

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&SUBSYS_15171043

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&CC_0C0330

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&CC_0C03

Does anyone have a solution? :)

//Bumbibear

Vane123
11-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Hi guys,
how did u manage the installation of Intel Rapid Start?
Windows 8 64 bit uses GPT partition on the disk (and not MBR.) At least it did on my notebook.
The command for the hibernation partition "diskpart set id=84 override" doesn't work with GPT and
I can't find a similar id for GPT.

Did u know one or do i need a fresh installation of win8 (+ conversion to MBR)?

Thx, Vane

PS@Bumbibear: My USB ports are working out of the box : /

Bumbibear
11-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Hi guys,
Windows 8 64 bit uses GPT partition on the disk (and not MBR.) At least it did on my notebook.
The command for the hibernation partition "diskpart set id=84 override" doesn't work with GPT and

Thx, Vane

Yeah they worked out of the box, but after my installation of Window 8 they weren't. At first they were functional but after a while they stopped working at all.

11-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Here you go; no need to re-install: ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/mb_manual_intel-ui_e.pdf

Hi guys,

Thx, Vane

11-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Since I installed windows 8 on my UX31A I've not been able to use my USB ports at all!

In Device manager i've been able to determine that it's the USB host controllers that are missing, and since Asus isn't providing drivers for Windows 8 I can't find any solution.

This is the hardware ID:s i've recovered:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&SUBSYS_15171043&REV_04

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&SUBSYS_15171043

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&CC_0C0330

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&CC_0C03

Does anyone have a solution? :)

//Bumbibear

Asus doesn't supply USB 3.0 drivers for Windows 8 because Windows 8 has built-in support for 3.0 (like Windows 7 had built-in support for USB 2.0).

Maybe you had a botched install. Did you try Windows Update?

Bumbibear
11-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Asus doesn't supply USB 3.0 drivers for Windows 8 because Windows 8 has built-in support for 3.0 (like Windows 7 had built-in support for USB 2.0).

Maybe you had a botched install. Did you try Windows Update?

Well I doubt it has something to do with windows 8 and usb 3.0 drivers since it's the host controller that isn't functioning

This is what it looks like in my Device manager.

And yes, i've tried windows update! :)

11-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Well I doubt it has something to do with windows 8 and usb 3.0 drivers since it's the host controller that isn't functioning

This is what it looks like in my Device manager.

And yes, i've tried windows update! :)

Have you installed all the Intel drivers from the support site? Like the Chipset update utility (or something like that, there might be an "INF" in the name). The vendor ID appears to Intel and the device id from your post is the usb controller.

Bumbibear
11-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Have you installed all the Intel drivers from the support site? Like the Chipset update utility (or something like that, there might be an "INF" in the name). The vendor ID appears to Intel and the device id from your post is the usb controller.

No I hadn't installed that INF update, after the installation of the chipset driver it now looks like this in device manager:

It's no longer Standard enhanced devices at least. But my ports are still not functioning.

Could it have something to do with BIOS?

//Bumbibear:)

11-06-2012, 03:34 PM
No I hadn't installed that INF update, after the installation of the chipset driver it now looks like this in device manager:

It's no longer Standard enhanced devices at least. But my ports are still not functioning.

Could it have something to do with BIOS?

//Bumbibear:)

Here are the things I have installed, see which one you don't have (disregard third party stuff of course).

Bumbibear
11-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Here are the things I have installed, see which one you don't have (disregard third party stuff of course).

I don't have the Windows driver package (atp) Mouse

Can you link that for me because I can't find it on the asus website! :)

11-09-2012, 08:40 PM
I don't have the Windows driver package (atp) Mouse

Can you link that for me because I can't find it on the asus website! :)

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know which driver that is! I'll investigate more on the weekend when I get home because I know I saved all the drivers I downloaded for Windows 8.

Bumbibear
11-16-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know which driver that is! I'll investigate more on the weekend when I get home because I know I saved all the drivers I downloaded for Windows 8.

Hi! Just wondering if you've made som progress on finding which driver it is? :) Would be greatly appreciated if you or somebody else would be able to supply me with this driver :)

Lexinious
11-17-2012, 03:11 PM
I have Windows8 Pro... It's great except I cant use the Kaspersky that came with my CVF-Z which is a bummer! I think its much, much better, you have to get past not having the start menu but no biggie, that takes about 2 days or so. Every things faster and easier to find and start! Explorer is quick as well!

CVF-Z
Vertex 4 SSD
FX-8350
Corsair Hydro H80
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16G 2133mhz
Two Matrix Platinum HD7970's
Corsair Vengeance 2000 Headset (Cordless 7.1 Surround, AWESOME)
Thermaltake lvl10 GT
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Asus PB278Q Monitor (WICKED NICE)! Don't ask, get it... PERIOD, I'm getting 2 more!

phillip
11-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi everyone,

my ux31a works very fine with windows 8 and I am impressed of the speed and handling with this system. Unfortunately the energy-saving (just windows without having installed asus software) is being resetted automatically. And not even that - the energy-saving mode is changed to min. processor-power 100% and max. 5%, which seems to make no sense at all. You can imagin, that the battery just has a current time of about 5 hours, completely loaded.
I have installed the 215 BIOS and also installed all the drivers from the asus-homepage.
Does anyone has an idea how I can solve my problem - except downgrading to win?
Thanks!

Bumbibear
11-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi everyone,

my ux31a works very fine with windows 8 and I am impressed of the speed and handling with this system. Unfortunately the energy-saving (just windows without having installed asus software) is being resetted automatically. And not even that - the energy-saving mode is changed to min. processor-power 100% and max. 5%, which seems to make no sense at all. You can imagin, that the battery just has a current time of about 5 hours, completely loaded.
I have installed the 215 BIOS and also installed all the drivers from the asus-homepage.
Does anyone has an idea how I can solve my problem - except downgrading to win?
Thanks!

I hope you mean 212 BIOS, because I can't find that there is a 215 version of BIOS.

Also, does your USB ports work or do you have drivers for them? Or did they just work out of the box when installing? :)

As for your problem, I go into power options and go to change advanced power plan settings, and then look around there for various settings that might be suitable. :)

11-19-2012, 04:17 PM
It has got to be the latest smartgesture driver because the install date for that matches the install date of the asus atp mouse driver. It's version number 1.0.35 on the asus ux31a support page, windows 8 64 obviously :)

phillip
11-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Hey,

I got the actual bios, the german version, from:

http://nbtsd.asustreiber.de/BIOS/UX-Serie/

I do it the same way: go to power Options, choose advanced Settings and change it the way I like to have them. But then somehow they got changed, and I change them again, and again and again...

The USB-support works fine, even if I didnt check, if USB 3.0 is supported.

Seems that re-installing Windows 7 is the only way to use this System normally. Does no one else has similar problems under Windows 8???

Lektzik
12-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Hello,
I recently upgraded my Zenbook Prime to Windows 8 (from Windows 7) but there was a few problems so I decided to format and reinstall, to get a clean Windows 8 and now everyting seems to be ok. Most of drivers were installed by default and I just had to install some more specifics, easily found on the Asus website.
Just on little problem : I am unable to deactivate Bluetooth (whereas at the 1st install I was unable to activate... lol), even switching "airplane mode" and even trying to deactivate Bluetooth hardware in the Device Manager) The strange thing is : at my 1st install there was a Bluetooth switch present (under Airplane and Wifi switchs) but it was grey (couldn't activate) but now, at my 2nd install, there's no more switch and the only way I found to deactivate is via the soft Wireless Console 3 (the soft which was launch via fn+F2 on Windows 7, but now I get it via th e notification tray, because fn+F2 is the function to switch airplane mode).
So my question : Is there a way to get the bluetooth switch back in the wireless menu ?

VampirS
12-20-2012, 08:15 AM
In win8 you can switch the Bluetooth on and off from the PC setting in the right bar, wireless tab. when you use fn+F2 you switch the airplane mode on and off...