PDA

View Full Version : G73 Headphone jack = no sound. (Anyone know the fix?)

finnman1
08-17-2012, 10:13 PM
I bought a used G73SW-Bst6 from an adult today who stated he has done no modifications other than a factory image restore. I know the issue is common due to the massive amount of google search hits, but no real awnser has been given, so I thought I'd ask on this here forum when I couldn't find it via the ROG search box. :)

I seen he was using a USB driven headphone/mic dealio. I would really like to bypass that and use the factory Headphone jack the way it was intended to be used. I have not tried it yet, but I heard it works as a jerry-rig fix. When I plug headphones into the jack, no sound comes, but the sound still plays normally from the speakers, with or without the headphones plugged in.

I have reinstalled the most up to date driver from RealTek even though Device Manager shows it is working and up to date. Upon restart, it still will not put out sound from the headphones. I have tried 3 different pair.

In sound settings, I have the Realtek (headphone) volume at 100%. :mad:

What step did I miss? Would anyone care to share what fixed it for them?

Thanks!!

Chris

Zygomorphic
08-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Which G73 version do you have? That might help clarify the problem. Make sure to set the headphones as default sound device.

finnman1
08-18-2012, 04:46 AM
As I stated in my first post, the model is the G73sw-bst6.

Thank you for suggesting to set it to the default, however, I have tried your suggestion, and it did not correct the issue. It showed the green dancing bars showing it getting power, but no sound from either of my headphones nor the output to my surround sound system.

Under properties:Levels, I adjust the 'volume' for it, but there still just isn't any sound output, despite what the device thinks it's doing. I tried the $3 usb sound deal with jack for mic/headphones, and set it to default also. It did not produce sound with 4 different sets of headphones. The light on it was flashing, so I presume it works. It is for sure getting power, because when I plug in the 3.5mm jack leading to my surround sound, it makes noise from the speakers. Just no active music.

Is this a sound card issue?

Chris

finnman1
08-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Nobody has encountered this ?

Linkavich
08-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Right click on your speakers icon > playback devices and play around with which one is default while ur headphone jack is plugged in. Hope this helps.

finnman1
08-22-2012, 08:38 AM
I have changed the default player and it had no effect. It showed the sound bars moving up n down like it was recieving the musical data, but no output from the physical jack itself.

xeromist
08-22-2012, 03:19 PM
The sound you get when plugging in the jack is just static from electricity jumping to the plug would be my guess. It sounds like the jack is not detecting the plug. Check out this link to get an idea how the mechanism works. (older machine but should be the same)
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-reviews-owners-lounges/427556-g51j-a1-owners-lounge-34.html#post5879478

Another thing you could try is changing the registry parameter ForceDisableJD from 00 to 01 (occurs twice). I *think* that will cause both the speakers and the headphones to work at once so at least you can see if the jack will pass audio.

finnman1
08-23-2012, 04:30 AM
It is out of warranty. Setting up an RMA would have cost me quote up to $147 with shipping and my computer out for weeks getting repaired. This being unacceptable, I decided to open the computer. I found that the connector coming from the Headphone jack leading to the Motherboard was loose. I plugged it in firmly and put it back together.

Voila! Fixed. Thanks for the help guys/gals.

xeromist
08-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Nice! Kudos for fixing it yourself as a lot of people just give up when faced with issues like this.

kimiraikkonen
08-23-2012, 07:37 PM
It is out of warranty. Setting up an RMA would have cost me quote up to $147 with shipping and my computer out for weeks getting repaired. This being unacceptable, I decided to open the computer. I found that the connector coming from the Headphone jack leading to the Motherboard was loose. I plugged it in firmly and put it back together.

Voila! Fixed. Thanks for the help guys/gals.

Wow :) Fixing a flaw by your own should be nice thing!